36 replies to this topic

#1 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Just got this series of tweets via Paul Romaniuk. What does everyone think? Is this even a remote possibility? IMO it is possible. While I believe it would be very bad for the country as a whole, I've always wondered how both Canada and Quebec would fare independently at the international level.

IIHF@IIHFHockey
In QUE provincial elections, Parti québecois wants Quebec to ice an independent team in IIHF Worlds events http://bit.ly/Osj3Kn / cont

For Quebec to have a team, the following conditions must be fullfilled. 1. Quebec must have an independent governing hockey body & 2. be...

... approved as an IIHF member. 3. Team would start at the bottom of IIHF championships, 6th tier. It would take at least 6 yrs to reach top

Quebec players who have played for Canada in IIHF events would not be eligible, unless they move to QUE and play there 4 straight years.

For clarirty; players like Bergeron, Brodeur, Lecavalier, St Louis, Luongo would not be eligible to play for Team Quebec in Olympics, Worlds
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#2 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

POPULAR

I am completely against anything like this. Just another desperate attempt by a bunch of folks who have faded into obscurity and need something new to cling to gain support for a failed, non-existant cause. The IIHF approving this would do a disservice to all Canadians.

Edited by RonMexico, 17 August 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#3 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

i understand hardcore quebec pride guys might want it, but its a terrible idea.. any player eligible is still canadian and this would hurt their chances of getting a gold medal if half of them wanted to suit up for quebec and half for canada. you would think they would rather just form a canadian powerhouse

#4 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Just desperate political grandstanding. Hockey organizations should be making these decisions, not politicians, who should have better things to do.

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I wonder if guys like Bergeron, Luongo, or MAF would give up their shot at gold to play for this Quebec team, knowing the majority of their adult lives are spent outside of said province.

#6 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

can we give them some island somewhere (not victoria)

Edited by debluvscanucks, 18 August 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

can we give them some island somewhere (not victoria)

I hear Ellsmere is pretty empty.

#8 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I hear Ellsmere is pretty empty.

nah there would be first nation protests (justifiably)
Posted Image

#9 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.
Posted Image

#10 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I ???? hate Quebec... They piss me off so bad.

They have the best school system, cheapest tuition, cheapest everything. They get every possible grant and subsidy the govt can think of, on top of massive tax breaks.

They contribute NOTHING to the country, Quebec would be a bankrupt nation without the rest of Canada, they would be living in squalor and yet they still have the audacity to disrespect the whole of Canada by continually trying to separate and be on their own. Its ???? mind boggling how stupid some of the citizens of Quebec are, they have no idea how much money the rest of the country gives them.

In 2012-2013 the federal govt will give Quebec 7.39 BILLION dollars just for being terrible. To compare Quebec against the rest of the country Quebec will receive ALMOST (approx 360 million) less than ALL other provinces COMBINED

I say let them separate so that the rest of Canada can prosper without our huge ???? boat anchor we call Quebec.

Posted Image

#11 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

can't we just put a giant air-tight tarp over everything east of the rockies? things will stop moving around eventually.

#12 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I am completely against anything like this. Just another desperate attempt by a bunch of folks who have faded into obscurity and need something new to cling to gain support for a failed, non-existant cause. The IIHF approving this would do a disservice to all Canadians.

While I wish you were right, the problem is that the PQ would form government if the polls are correct and they voted today. I wouldn't call that faded into obscurity.

As for the IIHF, they would only approve if all the hoops are jumped through, but if all the conditions are met...I cannot see why they would not approve. It wouldn't be much different than the independent Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams that represent those states in the Rugby and Football World Cups.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#13 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Wish we'd have a season so we could hear Cherry's opinion on this.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#14 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#15 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Jesus, just separate already.
Posted Image

#16 Dral

Dral

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

If Quebec gets to separate, I propose BC and Alberta should separate as well to form our own country. We would be so rich and completely self sustainable with all the hydro, oil, fish, beef, fruits, lumber that we produce. We could take Saskatchewan and their wheat as well. I suppose then, we'd have to take Manitoba with us well, but we could build a huge barb wire fence, turn it into a penal colony and rename it New Australia.

Then we could form our own international team to play at the Olympics. That would be sweet.

#17 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

If Quebec gets to separate, I propose BC and Alberta should separate as well to form our own country. We would be so rich and completely self sustainable with all the hydro, oil, fish, beef, fruits, lumber that we produce. We could take Saskatchewan and their wheat as well. I suppose then, we'd have to take Manitoba with us well, but we could build a huge barb wire fence, turn it into a penal colony and rename it New Australia.

Then we could form our own international team to play at the Olympics. That would be sweet.

ahahaah @ new australia
Posted Image

#18 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

**** Quebec, let em separate for all I care.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#19 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

How about we let you have your own IIHF team but you don't get anymore equalization payments from BC. Sound fair?

#20 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

:lol:

EDIT: Thousandth.

Edited by Tanev, 17 August 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#21 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Pretty sure this isn't the first time they have tried this crap
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.

Because all the you nations you reference are not united under one flag any more. They have partitioned into separate countries.

Czechoslovakia has partitioned into 2 completely separate countries. They are now called Check Republic and Slovakia. Same thing with the former USSR.

Quebec is still part of Canada.

Edited by WHL rocks, 18 August 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#23 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

What's with all the Quebec hate guys. Quebec is a part of our country. The people of Quebec have chosen to remain a part of Canada.

I remember the referendum in the 1990's. They voted to continue to be a province of Canada rather than becoming a separate county.

Edited by WHL rocks, 18 August 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,798 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Transfer their share of the national debt, cut off all government funding, charge them a bill for all federal property, change the money so they can't print our currency, and offer to sell the Maritimes to the US in exchange for Alaska and Point Roberts. Then Canada would be from Alaska to the Ontario/Quebec border. We'd be stronger economically. Then watch Quebec collapse as it gets bought out by the United States. Then the French language and culture would disappear just like in Louisiana.

Problem solved.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

My favorite bumper sticker from a while back: "Go Quebec Go"

#26 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

POPULAR

Transfer their share of the national debt, cut off all government funding, charge them a bill for all federal property, change the money so they can't print our currency, and offer to sell the Maritimes to the US in exchange for Alaska and Point Roberts. Then Canada would be from Alaska to the Ontario/Quebec border. We'd be stronger economically. Then watch Quebec collapse as it gets bought out by the United States. Then the French language and culture would disappear just like in Louisiana.

Problem solved.

Don't know if the Maritimes for Alaska and Point Roberts is fair value for the US. You can't just package a bunch of spare parts for an impact state. We'd likely need to throw in first rounder as well. Normally it would take even more, but Sarah Palin lowers Alaska's trade value.

Saskatchewan-Ontario-Manitoba
Alberta-BC
Alaska

Pretty good young up-and coming team, built around Ontario's veteran presence. Git 'r done SH.

Edited by etsen3, 18 August 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#27 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Quebec :picard:
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#28 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Not happening. Sorry Quebec. That's a slap in the face to the country.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#29 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

What's with all the Quebec hate guys. Quebec is a part of our country. The people of Quebec have chosen to remain a part of Canada.

I remember the referendum in the 1990's. They voted to continue to be a province of Canada rather than becoming a separate county.

So I guess they wouldn't complain if we stopped giving them billions of dollars right? :rolleyes:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#30 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

For frack's sake.

The referendum barely failed, by the way, for anyone bringing that up.

One part of me is so sick and tired of their bull, complaining all the time while at the same time, I feel that our dual-language heritage and history is something worth keeping.

I wish the separatists would just shut the frack up already, or we could make an island somewhere and ship them all there.

RIP LB RR PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.