The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PQ: Wants to ice independent Quebec team at IIHF events

Donky

Just got this series of tweets via Paul Romaniuk. What does everyone think? Is this even a remote possibility? IMO it is possible. While I believe it would be very bad for the country as a whole, I've always wondered how both Canada and Quebec would fare independently at the international level.

IIHF@IIHFHockey

In QUE provincial elections, Parti québecois wants Quebec to ice an independent team in IIHF Worlds events http://bit.ly/Osj3Kn / cont

For Quebec to have a team, the following conditions must be fullfilled. 1. Quebec must have an independent governing hockey body & 2. be...

... approved as an IIHF member. 3. Team would start at the bottom of IIHF championships, 6th tier. It would take at least 6 yrs to reach top

Quebec players who have played for Canada in IIHF events would not be eligible, unless they move to QUE and play there 4 straight years.

For clarirty; players like Bergeron, Brodeur, Lecavalier, St Louis, Luongo would not be eligible to play for Team Quebec in Olympics, Worlds

I am completely against anything like this. Just another desperate attempt by a bunch of folks who have faded into obscurity and need something new to cling to gain support for a failed, non-existant cause. The IIHF approving this would do a disservice to all Canadians.

i understand hardcore quebec pride guys might want it, but its a terrible idea.. any player eligible is still canadian and this would hurt their chances of getting a gold medal if half of them wanted to suit up for quebec and half for canada. you would think they would rather just form a canadian powerhouse

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.

I ???? hate Quebec... They piss me off so bad.

They have the best school system, cheapest tuition, cheapest everything. They get every possible grant and subsidy the govt can think of, on top of massive tax breaks.

They contribute NOTHING to the country, Quebec would be a bankrupt nation without the rest of Canada, they would be living in squalor and yet they still have the audacity to disrespect the whole of Canada by continually trying to separate and be on their own. Its ???? mind boggling how stupid some of the citizens of Quebec are, they have no idea how much money the rest of the country gives them.

In 2012-2013 the federal govt will give Quebec 7.39 BILLION dollars just for being terrible. To compare Quebec against the rest of the country Quebec will receive ALMOST (approx 360 million) less than ALL other provinces COMBINED

I say let them separate so that the rest of Canada can prosper without our huge ???? boat anchor we call Quebec.

I am completely against anything like this. Just another desperate attempt by a bunch of folks who have faded into obscurity and need something new to cling to gain support for a failed, non-existant cause. The IIHF approving this would do a disservice to all Canadians.

If Quebec gets to separate, I propose BC and Alberta should separate as well to form our own country. We would be so rich and completely self sustainable with all the hydro, oil, fish, beef, fruits, lumber that we produce. We could take Saskatchewan and their wheat as well. I suppose then, we'd have to take Manitoba with us well, but we could build a huge barb wire fence, turn it into a penal colony and rename it New Australia.

Then we could form our own international team to play at the Olympics. That would be sweet.

If Quebec gets to separate, I propose BC and Alberta should separate as well to form our own country. We would be so rich and completely self sustainable with all the hydro, oil, fish, beef, fruits, lumber that we produce. We could take Saskatchewan and their wheat as well. I suppose then, we'd have to take Manitoba with us well, but we could build a huge barb wire fence, turn it into a penal colony and rename it New Australia.

Then we could form our own international team to play at the Olympics. That would be sweet.

Archived