The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PQ: Wants to ice independent Quebec team at IIHF events

Donky

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.

What's with all the Quebec hate guys. Quebec is a part of our country. The people of Quebec have chosen to remain a part of Canada.

I remember the referendum in the 1990's. They voted to continue to be a province of Canada rather than becoming a separate county.

Transfer their share of the national debt, cut off all government funding, charge them a bill for all federal property, change the money so they can't print our currency, and offer to sell the Maritimes to the US in exchange for Alaska and Point Roberts. Then Canada would be from Alaska to the Ontario/Quebec border. We'd be stronger economically. Then watch Quebec collapse as it gets bought out by the United States. Then the French language and culture would disappear just like in Louisiana.

Problem solved.

Transfer their share of the national debt, cut off all government funding, charge them a bill for all federal property, change the money so they can't print our currency, and offer to sell the Maritimes to the US in exchange for Alaska and Point Roberts. Then Canada would be from Alaska to the Ontario/Quebec border. We'd be stronger economically. Then watch Quebec collapse as it gets bought out by the United States. Then the French language and culture would disappear just like in Louisiana.

Problem solved.

For frack's sake.

The referendum barely failed, by the way, for anyone bringing that up.

One part of me is so sick and tired of their bull, complaining all the time while at the same time, I feel that our dual-language heritage and history is something worth keeping.

I wish the separatists would just shut the frack up already, or we could make an island somewhere and ship them all there.

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.

I don't see this as much of an issue or a real threat at all. Firstly, just because a Quebec born player CAN play for Quebec wouldn't mean they HAVE TO. I'm sure a ton of Quebec born players would still rather play for Canada, and not just because they would be in a higher standing for the first 6 or more years, but because they wanted to. On the other hand, if somebody feels more nationalistic towards Quebec than Canada, why hold them back? Let them play and we will just kick their arses.

Don't know if the Maritimes for Alaska and Point Roberts is fair value for the US. You can't just package a bunch of spare parts for an impact state. We'd likely need to throw in first rounder as well. Normally it would take even more, but Sarah Palin lowers Alaska's trade value.

Saskatchewan-Ontario-Manitoba

Alberta-BC

Alaska

Pretty good young up-and coming team, built around Ontario's veteran presence. Git 'r done SH.

If you think about this, it wouldn't really hurt Team Canada much in the immediate future but it would definitely have a negative long term effect. Their lineuo right now would likely look something like

Perron-Ribiero-Parenteau

Tanguay-Vermette-Pominville

Talbot-Brassard-Bouchard

Dupuis-Lapierre-Latendresse

Letang-Vlasic

Bergeron-Demers

Gervais-Gragnani

Crawford

Biron

Not exactly a wealth of talent there when you take out Lecavalier, St. Louis, Bergeron, Gagne, Stastny, Burrows, etc....

If you think about this, it wouldn't really hurt Team Canada much in the immediate future but it would definitely have a negative long term effect. Their lineuo right now would likely look something like

Perron-Ribiero-Parenteau

Tanguay-Vermette-Pominville

Talbot-Brassard-Bouchard

Dupuis-Lapierre-Latendresse

Letang-Vlasic

Bergeron-Demers

Gervais-Gragnani

Crawford

Biron

Not exactly a wealth of talent there when you take out Lecavalier, St. Louis, Bergeron, Gagne, Stastny, Burrows, etc....

Archived