Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

PQ: Wants to ice independent Quebec team at IIHF events

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#31 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

What I don't get is why we absolutely must have a unified canadian hockey team, its like the thought of maybe not being the best in the world makes people shiver in fear. USSRs mighty team of old is now split, Czechoslovakia had a top team that is now two teams, really what would be the issue with it happening in Canada too. More canadians get to participate, more rivalry and more storylines for the media, who wouldn't win in this scenario. The only problem would be if we end up taking gold, silver (6 yrs in the future) and other countries feel that isn't fair. So if other countries allow it, and the people of Quebec want it, then I say go for it.

Difference is that the USSR and Czechoslovakia didn't ice teams from differen't states/provinces. They were different teams from different countries.

I hate this attitude from certain Quebecois groups, and as a Canadian am insulted. What is their big deal with the rest of us? Still sore in the arse from when the British kicked out France? Manitoba has a pretty significant french population, I think the largest in Canada outside Quebec, and I don't hear nearly as much of this talk.

Besides, Quebec would collapse if they separated.

#32 We Are All Cucks

We Are All Cucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I don't see this as much of an issue or a real threat at all. Firstly, just because a Quebec born player CAN play for Quebec wouldn't mean they HAVE TO. I'm sure a ton of Quebec born players would still rather play for Canada, and not just because they would be in a higher standing for the first 6 or more years, but because they wanted to. On the other hand, if somebody feels more nationalistic towards Quebec than Canada, why hold them back? Let them play and we will just kick their arses.

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,522 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Pfft, borrrrring!

The PQ will remain irrelevant as long as the majority of quebecers are apathetic to these issues.
Posted Image

#34 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Pfft, borrrrring!

The PQ will remain irrelevant as long as the majority of quebecers are apathetic to these issues.

I would never dismiss the PQ. The sovereignests lost the second referendum by the slimmest of margins. 'Twas a tense evening.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#35 NZCanuck

NZCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Don't know if the Maritimes for Alaska and Point Roberts is fair value for the US. You can't just package a bunch of spare parts for an impact state. We'd likely need to throw in first rounder as well. Normally it would take even more, but Sarah Palin lowers Alaska's trade value.

Saskatchewan-Ontario-Manitoba
Alberta-BC
Alaska

Pretty good young up-and coming team, built around Ontario's veteran presence. Git 'r done SH.

Possibly the best post I have ever seen on CDC :lol:

#36 zduck14

zduck14

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

If you think about this, it wouldn't really hurt Team Canada much in the immediate future but it would definitely have a negative long term effect. Their lineuo right now would likely look something like

Perron-Ribiero-Parenteau
Tanguay-Vermette-Pominville
Talbot-Brassard-Bouchard
Dupuis-Lapierre-Latendresse

Letang-Vlasic
Bergeron-Demers
Gervais-Gragnani

Crawford
Biron

Not exactly a wealth of talent there when you take out Lecavalier, St. Louis, Bergeron, Gagne, Stastny, Burrows, etc....

#37 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

If you think about this, it wouldn't really hurt Team Canada much in the immediate future but it would definitely have a negative long term effect. Their lineuo right now would likely look something like

Perron-Ribiero-Parenteau
Tanguay-Vermette-Pominville
Talbot-Brassard-Bouchard
Dupuis-Lapierre-Latendresse

Letang-Vlasic
Bergeron-Demers
Gervais-Gragnani

Crawford
Biron

Not exactly a wealth of talent there when you take out Lecavalier, St. Louis, Bergeron, Gagne, Stastny, Burrows, etc....

Letang has played for Canada at the world juniors, so he couldn't play for Quebec either.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.