The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler:

It doesn’t appear labor uncertainty will keep the Canucks from doing their business.

Shortly after learning talks were underway with winger Alex Burrows on an extension, Brad Ziemer of the Vancouver Sun reports the club will soon begin negotiations on a new deal with defenseman Alex Edler.

“It is safe to assume we will be commencing discussions with Alex’s representative [agent Mark Stowe] in a short period of time,” Canucks assistant GM Gilman told Ziemer.

Edler’s heading into the final year of a four-year, $13 million deal that pays $3.25 million annually — the fifth-highest cap hit among Vancouver defensemen behind Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison ($4.6 million each), Dan Hamhuis ($4.5 million) and Keith Ballard

($4.2 million).

Given that Edler led all Canucks defensemen with a career-high 11 goals and 49 points last season, that pay scale could soon change.

The 26-year-old Swede is the youngest of the aforementioned five blueliners and finished tied for 13th in Norris voting this year with Chicago’s Duncan Keith, Phoenix’s Keith Yandle and Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien.

It’s possible Edler could be eying the five-year, $28.75 million deal fellow Swedish defenseman Tobias Enstrom (27 years old) inked with the Jets a couple of weeks ago.

https://prohockeytal...lks-with-edler/

Gillis would do very well to sign Edler for 5 years at $28.75M (identical to Enstrom's deal).

People point to Edler's inconsistency and say he should get $5M or less. The scary thing about Edler is that he's still considered inconsistent and to have untapped potential despite the fact he has shown consistent improvement throughout his career and put up 11 goals and 49 points last year.

He's already worth $6M. And I expect his best is yet to come.

:towel:

Geez, I remember when Edler surprised all and made the team before Bourdon. Imagine that Luc could have been coming off his RFA contract now as well, and was the more highly touted prospect?

But yes, signing a 26 year old first time all star who has had consistent growth will be a massive positive.

Many CDC'ers project a Norris candidate. I'm not that high in my projection but I do love Edler! I doubt he will ever be big enough to push a Byfuglien from in front of the net, but can speed training and puck handling practice add the ability to rush the puck against pressure to Edler's otherwise strong repertoire? That would make him similar to Lidstrom. Still > 6 years $31.8?

If I'm not mistaken, our top 5 would all have at least 3 years left each?

Great news. The sooner we get him locked up long-term the better. I want this deal to happen soon and I'd be willing to give him the same money as Enstrom. Definitely worth around 5.5 million, his market value would be in the 6 million range which is pretty fair too I guess. Just hoping he takes a bit of a hometown discount

And if Edler is signed we could look much more seriously at trading Ballard?

But maybe not. He was of course traded for not knowing we would get Hamhuis, and to be our puck rusher..., maybe Garrison could unlock his skills (let Tanev who is too small to be effective as a primary defensive stud but a good passer to set up Edler in offensive shifts where his size is not a problem). Here would be our roles;

5 on 5

Hamhuis / KB3 > Play all tough defensive match ups

Edler / Tanev > Primary offensive tandem

Ballard / Garrison ? multi purpose tandem.

PP

Edler / Garrison 1st unit

Hamhuis / Bieksa 2knd unit Also get Connauton some games 2knd PP, Ballard some shifts...

PK

Hamhuis / Bieksa

Edler / Garrison

Effectively Garrison/Edler and Hamhuis / Bieksa is our top 4; but we play Edler / Garrison with other guys 5 on 5 to get the best out of them. Ballard / Garrison 5 on 5 has a ton of speed, a big shot, shot blocking and size as a multi purpose unit. Maybe we would finally see his speed unleashed?

Archived