The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

I think you've gotta ask yourself 2 questions:

1) Is Edler a long term interest for the Canucks

2) Does Edler's value fit within the pay roll structure of the Canucks?

I think Edler is a long term interest for the Canucks. He is coming into his prime, has the ability to be a consistent 40+ point D man and although he has had his gaffe's he is still a quality defender. He did have a miserable playoff last season but c'mon people the guy is human- human error is a reality so live and let learn. For the most part he has been quite reliable (people tend to forget just how good along the boards Edler really is). Put it this way, of all the Canucks D (including Hamhuis) I still would be confident in Edler's play in all situations.

I could see him getting signed to a 4-6 year contract. Value wise, I think the reality is Edler is easily worth 5.5 million a season if not more if some teams are willing to over pay. If the Canucks sign him long term, tthe mutual benefit could be the cap hit coming down a bit i.e 5.2 to 5.3 million. Still, it's a big chunk of money but you need proven top 4 D.

The real question is whether Edler can justify his earnings. If he play's as well as he has so far, then yes, his contract is worth it. Solid D wins cups. If Edler can up his game similar to how the Sedins upped their game after signing their contracts, then he could be a steal of a signing in comparison to other premier NHL Defensemen.

What I'm curious about is how well he can play with Garrison. 2 big guys that if they can play a solid shut down game AND put up some numbers, the Canucks could feasibly have a 1A and 1B type D pairing on most teams (Hamhuis/Bieksa & Edler/Garrison). Not to say either pairing is best in the league in terms of individual pairs, but taken as a whole it could be exactly the step the Canucks back end needs to take to win a cup.

OK now I'm excited! F this lockout and let's get some hockey going!!!!

Well first of all Lidstrom was a +21 and has been anywhere fromm +21 to +40 most of his career and is 10 times better then Edler this is a stupid point bringing Lidstrom into this lol

Bieksa is about the same risk defensively as Edler and is quite equal as far as that goes but 5 on 5 Bieksa had more points and given the pp time Edler gets i think would Bieksa would be better.

Bieksa is far more physical and far more important to the team do to his leadership qualities .

If you think that Edler was only bad defensively the last part of the season and playoffs you better stop smoking the dope he has pretty much been horrible since he joined the team years ago.

If we resign Eddy, I really hope MG doesn't give him a NTC.

He's got really good trade value. He has all the tools to become a #1Dman.

IMO, he won't reach that potential. (Not just basing it off the playoffs)

I don't think he'll ever become a Norris nominee. But will be around the top-10 level.

He's not our "go-to-guy" defensively, which isn't typical of these defensemen. (excluding Karlsson)

I'm hoping that I'll eat my words...

Looks like Edler's on his way out.

The fact that they didn't lock him up long term means he's like going to be traded for a top 6. He's clearly asking for too much, and will only cost the Canucks more under the new CBA.

Edler for Kane

Archived