The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

You can't ban someone for speaking their mind. While Big Luongo's schtick on the Sedins being soft is tired cliche, considering how excellent Henrik was in the playoffs, Edler is the exact opposite of Henrik.

Henrik is consistent, he is the greatest passer and one of the greatest playmakers in the game today. We watched him become a warrior in the short-lived playoff run. He was consistent every game.

Edler is not. He never has been. Therefore he cannot be the highest paid defenceman on the team. Big Luongo is right about another point. Edler lacks a killer instinct. This was evident not only during the playoffs, but long stretches of the regular season. Yes he possesses a powerful shot and can dish out big hits, but he fails to do either with any consistency.

Edler's Agent knows he can get $6M + on the open market, and if you think otherwise you're the idiot. If Edler really wants a big deal, a 6'4 Allstar 50pt dman who is young and coming into his prime will surely get it.

The only reason he takes less to stay here is because he takes a "home town discount" and he enjoys his comfortable surroundings with the only team he's ever known.

Otherwise look to him to be heavily pursued by philly/det especially.

Edler's Agent knows he can get $6M + on the open market, and if you think otherwiise you're the idiot. If Edler really wants a big deal, a 6'4 Allstar 50pt dman who is young and coming into his prime will surely get it.

The only reason he takes less to stay here is because he takes a "home town discount" and he enjoys his comfortable surroundings with the only team he's ever known.

Otherwise look to him to be heavily pursued by philly/det especially.

Destroy ya right you didn't prove a thing.

The Sedins are as soft as Edler so what! That just makes it all the more important that someone as soft as Edler isn't on their line because they could really use someone who has some balls.

Defensemen in the NHL should have some ability to be tough especially on the Canucks where we are pretty soft throughout. The Sedins, Burrows and Keslers need a tough dman with them to keep the opposition honest. I can't believe how many like you can' t see that this is a must have in order for the skilled players to do their thing did you not see thr Boston series lol.

Look if Edlers defensive game was much tighter i could put up with him being so soft but the guy too many times looks like a rookie getting caught wondering all over the ice flat footed and lost it's hard to watch. A top team should have a more solid player then Edler or like we all witnessed against LA it's just going to keep hurting our chances to win.

Edlers brutal play was totally unnacceptable and he was a major reason we lost that series and unfortunately it hasn't been the first time i have seen him play so brutal. He is much worse defensively then a lot of people want to admit and bad far too often even leading AV to call him out on it.

Btw Hamhuis's bad games are few and far between compared to Edler's that's ridiculous comparing their defensive games Hamhuis is ten times better defensively then Edler lol.

If i am MG i offer Hamhuis Bieksa money at best and if he doesn't accept i deal him with Luongo. Edler has far too many holes in his game including the lack of toughness i think a defensemen needs to get any more money then them.

I am hoping that MG is saying to Edlers agent the same thing and saying get your full game together and then we will talk elite dman money and if not trade him. Without the Sedins this guy will be nothing.

The Canucks will be just fine without him and maybe better off especially if him and his agent are getting greedy.

If Gillis loses him too, then he deserves to be fired. You can't expect everyone to take a home town discount. frack dude, this is a 50 point defencemen, and this is how they negotiate. They negotiate based on the players total points. I'm sure he's not asking for 7 million, but man, I don't care what happens, losing Edler will be a f in huge blow to the team.

I think people bashing Edler doesn't realize we don't really have good option other than to sign him. Weber's locked up and Suter's gone too. If you want to replace Edler, it's just not possible. There aren't so many D's these days as young as him who skates and hits decent while putting up quite a bit of points. Sure, he messes things up badly at times, but if you want him to never make ANY mistake in any situation, then you're basically asking for a Lidstrom.

Fans need to THINK before babbling because realistically - and without trading key pieces like Sedins or Kesler - , there's absolutely nobody in the league we could get to replace Edler. People don't seem to realize we're not in great shape when it comes to our D. If you want Edler gone, then we're left with:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Ballard

Tanev - ???

That lineup *might* get us through the first round. Not really after that.

People rate Edlers good offensive abilities a way too high.

The Sedins will make any decent offensive defencemans point totals into a all stars and imo Kevin Connauton will get just as many points as Edler in his first season if given the chance.

Connauton has worked very hard at his defensive game, is very physical, has great passing skills, has a great shot and uses it well, is very mobile and is a very good rusher of the puck .

If the Canucks put Connauton in early season and work with him closely there's no doubt in my mind he will do excellent and will be in fine form come playoff time.

We have a strong team around him including an awesome goalie to help him out as well.

We should use Edlers money somewhere else.

I think people bashing Edler doesn't realize we don't really have good option other than to sign him. Weber's locked up and Suter's gone too. If you want to replace Edler, it's just not possible. There aren't so many D's these days as young as him who skates and hits decent while putting up quite a bit of points. Sure, he messes things up badly at times, but if you want him to never make ANY mistake in any situation, then you're basically asking for a Lidstrom.

Fans need to THINK before babbling because realistically - and without trading key pieces like Sedins or Kesler - , there's absolutely nobody in the league we could get to replace Edler. People don't seem to realize we're not in great shape when it comes to our D. If you want Edler gone, then we're left with:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Ballard

Tanev - ???

That lineup *might* get us through the first round. Not really after that.

Archived