The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

We don't need him signed that badly anyways. Trade him for a forward and then plug in Tanev or whomever in the top 4 mix and I doubt this team misses a beat. Then bring up a prospect to fill the 6th defenceman spot. Too bad sentimental attachment clouds the minds of Canucks fanatics.

Exactly, because he's worth it! Edler however isn't worth near that. If I'm correct, Shea Weber will carry a 7.5 cap hit, I would then leverage that to Edler being worth 5 to 5.5 tops. And even then I have a problem with Edler being paid that much. To many flaws in his game for my liking.

Are you guys all the same account. I see two kids who both joined in July, and pretty much the only people siding with this kid on this argument. We lost Salo. If we lose Edler you do not want to see what our defence looks like. Garrison is still unproven, and without Campbell who knows if he's a 16 goal scorer... or a 5 goal scorer. The reason Edler plays out of position when pinching, is because Salo is the one covering for him. Just like when Doughty pinches to create some offence... Scuderi backs him up. Pinching isn't an exact science, and it really depends on luck. Edler has proven time and time again (past two seasons) that he can and he will put up 40+ points. Edler has not maxed out his defensive capabilities, and he will continue to develop them. Again Edler is not a RFA and if he wants to walk he will not be worth a good forward. He will be worth a 5th round draft pick exactly like Ehrhoff. If we could have Edler walk and we would instantly have a player like Matt Carle and a high draft pick... sign me up. This years draft is extraordinarily deep and the more picks them better. However you fail to understand that defensemen on the open market are worth a lot of value... especially of Edler's Caliber. This is what our defence realistically looks like if Edler walks, and we just had Salo walk this year.

Kevin Bieksa- Dan Hamhuis

-Very solid first pairing, no complaints about it. Defensively responsible and Bieksa adds a bit of punch.

Keith Ballard- Chris Tanev

-Not capable of much offence, but okay defensively. not capable of playing against the big guns, as much as I am a huge fan of Ballard's skating.

Andrew Alberts-Jason Garrison

-We have no clue how Garrison will perform without Campbell's passing. He scored 80% of his goals in the first half of the season, when people had no clue who he was. Andrew Alberts. Do i have to say more?

The hope that KC can be a offensive force in his first year is a pipe dream. The only players that can do that are very high round picks such as OEL, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, and other such players. KC will be a good player looking at him at this stage of his career, but he will not be a offensive force his first year in. Our defence is weak and full of holes without Edler. You guys are misguided into thinking. Oh Edler can walk, and we'll use his cap money to sign another top six forward or a top 4 defensemen. There are no more of those out there, and if there were they would not take the 3.5million dollars to play in Vancouver. The same thing happened for Ehrhoff when his contract was running up, as well as Bieksa. People took sides and ripped on one to make a case for the other. We need Edler... all i can see from you guys right now is wanting to trade Edler. Edler has no value in terms of bargaining, not because he doesn't have skills, but the simple fact that his contract is up. Why give up a 5th round pick when you could potentially land him in free agency.

I'm sure Gillis has something in the works that would fill the void. I for one am sick of having so many puck movers and not enough grit on the back end. I like Edler, but not at what some have said they think he's worth. If the Canucks can get a good return for Luongo, then Edler may become expendable anyway. Tuff decision's have to be made when you operate under a cap system. In order to have depth at every position, players need to take a little less then market value. If Edler thinks he is worth more, then trade him now while he has a year remaining on his deal and get something of value in return.

Good points all around

As nucks fans, I think we are just tired of not having a number 1 d man who does it all. Edler wants to be payed like a number 1 d man, and yes his stats are great, but he is often on our second unit with Salo.She has NOT been a consistent top pairing guy.

The problem is he teases us and himself. He thinks he can be a number 1 d man but he lacks consistency and knows it.

Gillis called him a "Norris" candidate a few months back... When I first heard that I thought he maybe pumpin the old tires to get ppl interested in trading for him... We will see

Exactly, because he's worth it! Edler however isn't worth near that. If I'm correct, Shea Weber will carry a 7.5 cap hit, I would then leverage that to Edler being worth 5 to 5.5 tops. And even then I have a problem with Edler being paid that much. To many flaws in his game for my liking.

Shea Weber's annual salary if we say he realistically plays until he's 35 is roughly 9.5 million dollars. Edler won't get anywhere near that figure, just like Luongo most likely will not play until he's 40. You can't talk about Shea Weber as a 7.8 million dollar cap hit, since it's just simply cap circumventing. Edler is comparable to Weber. He's big, has mobility, and can put up points. The thing is that Weber logs minutes, but that is why he's paid the big numbers. Edler won't get anywhere close to 9.5 million dollars. 6 million is a fair number for a 49 point (i believe) offensive defensemen who has chemistry with the Sedin's. How are you going to prove that he won't get the same numbers with the Sedins. Also remember Edler was one of our defensemen who play the PK, PP, Even Strength. Simply put he is an all around defensemen. When I see the list you put together of things that Edler suck at, I see this as your thought process

Damn I don't have solid evidence, other then my personal opinion. I know... I'll just make a list of things that defensemen do... such as move laterally...miss the net with his shot, oh wait Sedin's want that slap pass off the boards.... eh? I'll just throw that in there, maybe he won't notice. Well also defensemen are supposed to be able to pinch, so we'll just say Edler can't do that either. Oh and another hint

typing every sentence....

like this....

doesn't make it seem....

like you have more....

points.....

it's just annoying to read.....

one sentence is not a paragraph.....

thanks.....

Did i just hear you correctly? Your sick of having too many mobile defensemen? Would you prefer us go back to a Dave Nonis style of team, where you trade a bunch of second and third round picks for plugs who can fight, and take dumb penalties? Edler isn't known for his aggressive style of play, just like Lidstrom isn't known for being an aggressive defensemen. We won't be getting that much in terms for a return for Luongo, and I would consider ourselves crooks if we got away with Bjustad from Florida. The only way we can fill that void with someone as capable as Edler would be if KC stepped up and had a monster year in the NHL. (Jake Gardiner had 30 points, and he's in a whole different league then KC). We don't have a problem with our cap hit at the moment, especially if we trade Luongo. This isn't a tough decision, it's more we have the money to resign Edler, but kids who don't understand the game of hockey believe in trading whoever's not under contract, for whatever garbage we can pick up.

Just for emphasis: You are sick of having a mobile defence group that can move the puck up? haha that just destroys all credibility right there. Maybe we should trade for Mike Komisarek, and get Dylan McIlrath from the NYR. Oh boy their regretting not taking Fowler now. Maybe if we're really lucky we could get Matt Carkner too !

Are you guys all the same account. I see two kids who both joined in July, and pretty much the only people siding with this kid on this argument. We lost Salo. If we lose Edler you do not want to see what our defence looks like. Garrison is still unproven, and without Campbell who knows if he's a 16 goal scorer... or a 5 goal scorer. The reason Edler plays out of position when pinching, is because Salo is the one covering for him. Just like when Doughty pinches to create some offence... Scuderi backs him up. Pinching isn't an exact science, and it really depends on luck. Edler has proven time and time again (past two seasons) that he can and he will put up 40+ points. Edler has not maxed out his defensive capabilities, and he will continue to develop them. Again Edler is not a RFA and if he wants to walk he will not be worth a good forward. He will be worth a 5th round draft pick exactly like Ehrhoff. If we could have Edler walk and we would instantly have a player like Matt Carle and a high draft pick... sign me up. This years draft is extraordinarily deep and the more picks them better. However you fail to understand that defensemen on the open market are worth a lot of value... especially of Edler's Caliber. This is what our defence realistically looks like if Edler walks, and we just had Salo walk this year.

Kevin Bieksa- Dan Hamhuis

-Very solid first pairing, no complaints about it. Defensively responsible and Bieksa adds a bit of punch.

Keith Ballard- Chris Tanev

-Not capable of much offence, but okay defensively. not capable of playing against the big guns, as much as I am a huge fan of Ballard's skating.

Andrew Alberts-Jason Garrison

-We have no clue how Garrison will perform without Campbell's passing. He scored 80% of his goals in the first half of the season, when people had no clue who he was. Andrew Alberts. Do i have to say more?

The hope that KC can be a offensive force in his first year is a pipe dream. The only players that can do that are very high round picks such as OEL, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, and other such players. KC will be a good player looking at him at this stage of his career, but he will not be a offensive force his first year in. Our defence is weak and full of holes without Edler. You guys are misguided into thinking. Oh Edler can walk, and we'll use his cap money to sign another top six forward or a top 4 defensemen. There are no more of those out there, and if there were they would not take the 3.5million dollars to play in Vancouver. The same thing happened for Ehrhoff when his contract was running up, as well as Bieksa. People took sides and ripped on one to make a case for the other. We need Edler... all i can see from you guys right now is wanting to trade Edler. Edler has no value in terms of bargaining, not because he doesn't have skills, but the simple fact that his contract is up. Why give up a 5th round pick when you could potentially land him in free agency.

@RonMexico

So what your saying if this lockout runs the year, and Edler becomes a UFA his value is still a top end forward. Either you seriously overestimated the value of our players, or you seriously underestimated the IQ of NHL General managers. We won two straight Presidents Trophies, so why would we look to mess with a great thing. Now I am too lazy to look up which of you said this, but how did you judge Edler to be the worst player on the Canucks roster in the LA Series. We scored eight goals in five games... and as points previous mention, we didn't have Daniel Sedin our leading scorer. It's like with Detroit, you take out a player like Datsyuk, Lidstrom, or even Zetterberg and the entire team confidence suffers and all the players play worse. It's all about the chemistry, and losing Edler, as well as Salo would upset the balance of our defence group. Your proposing we trade for a top tier forward for Edler? Well what about our defence, do you really think Tanev will play a top four role with ease? Your asking us to plug a player like Andrew Alberts, who yes is big, but has trouble skating forward let alone backwards into our group. If Edler is a pending UFA all GM's are trading for are his rights. If any GM was that bad at running a team, then they wouldn't be running a fantasy pool roster, let alone an NHL team. To end off with this interesting note... On a top tier team would not losing 45 points off a blue line and a veteran defensemen be potentially devastating? Every team hopes that they have prospects that can plug the gap, and not drop off too much in production.. but how many teams actually can pull that off? One final question.... I view Aaron Rome to be worth around 1 million dollars per year, are you saying one of the thirty GM's are stupid enough to say... well he has no hands, or ability but I think his value is a solid 5 million dollars a year. This isn't the Entry draft these are players who already had a few years to prove themselves in the NHL.

@SeanHarnett

You can't up front compare our defence group to another team, just because you like how their defence group works. Our defence is based on all six guys making up close to equal time. Hamhuis-Bieksa (20 minutes) Edler-Salo(24 minutes) Ballard-Tanev(16 minutes) and so forth. We don't have a Shea Weber that can suck up about half the game, and so I'm not proposing to offer Edler a huge contract. I'm proposing we offer him a solid six million, and if you want to compare him to Shea Weber's contract? If you take out the lower cap hits when he realistically will not be able to play and just look at the first 9 years until he's 35 his cap hit is a massive 9.8 million dollars. Even if you add in two more years his cap hit is still around 9 million dollars a season. That's cap circumvention, and we all know it. Also you propose the Canucks can do better, who do you think we can get for 3.5 million dollars. That's all that Edler's cap hit is right now, and that's all we have to sign him with. We have those shutdown defensemen, and their names are Hamhuis and Bieksa. I am not predicting immediate doom, I am predicting that we won't be as dangerous of a team when we lose Edler, since his 40+ points per year will be gone off the blue line. If we had someone like Ryan Ellis, your prediction of someone filling the void would be perfectly valid, but as we don't unfortunately your prediction doesn't hold much in terms of having something to justify it on.

Something you should know is that when making an argument you should come up with solid facts. I've come up with Edler's points, shots on goal, his PP point production, salaries that are comparable, and a prediction based on those facts. What I see from you guys are personal opinions, statements that have no physical backing, and just a general lack of understanding for the game of hockey.

Seriously...

1) Don't worry guys we lose 45+ points off our back end, but we're the same team.

2) Don't worry guys GM's will give us a top tier forward for Edler whose contract is expiring.

3) KC can step in and get 45 points and replace Edler. (you do know it took edler a couple of years to develop)

4) Edler isn't Shea Weber.... (seriously no one ever even said Edler was Weber)

5) You don't know how other GM's will view the value of an expiring contract with Edler, but I know that MG has something to fill Edler's void. Are you MG's pen pal?

6) Naming a bunch of things defensemen do and saying Edler sucks at all of them.

@RonMexico

So what your saying if this lockout runs the year, and Edler becomes a UFA his value is still a top end forward. Either you seriously overestimated the value of our players, or you seriously underestimated the IQ of NHL General managers. We won two straight Presidents Trophies, so why would we look to mess with a great thing. Now I am too lazy to look up which of you said this, but how did you judge Edler to be the worst player on the Canucks roster in the LA Series. We scored eight goals in five games... and as points previous mention, we didn't have Daniel Sedin our leading scorer. It's like with Detroit, you take out a player like Datsyuk, Lidstrom, or even Zetterberg and the entire team confidence suffers and all the players play worse. It's all about the chemistry, and losing Edler, as well as Salo would upset the balance of our defence group. Your proposing we trade for a top tier forward for Edler? Well what about our defence, do you really think Tanev will play a top four role with ease? Your asking us to plug a player like Andrew Alberts, who yes is big, but has trouble skating forward let alone backwards into our group. If Edler is a pending UFA all GM's are trading for are his rights. If any GM was that bad at running a team, then they wouldn't be running a fantasy pool roster, let alone an NHL team. To end off with this interesting note... On a top tier team would not losing 45 points off a blue line and a veteran defensemen be potentially devastating? Every team hopes that they have prospects that can plug the gap, and not drop off too much in production.. but how many teams actually can pull that off? One final question.... I view Aaron Rome to be worth around 1 million dollars per year, are you saying one of the thirty GM's are stupid enough to say... well he has no hands, or ability but I think his value is a solid 5 million dollars a year. This isn't the Entry draft these are players who already had a few years to prove themselves in the NHL.

@SeanHarnett

You can't up front compare our defence group to another team, just because you like how their defence group works. Our defence is based on all six guys making up close to equal time. Hamhuis-Bieksa (20 minutes) Edler-Salo(24 minutes) Ballard-Tanev(16 minutes) and so forth. We don't have a Shea Weber that can suck up about half the game, and so I'm not proposing to offer Edler a huge contract. I'm proposing we offer him a solid six million, and if you want to compare him to Shea Weber's contract? If you take out the lower cap hits when he realistically will not be able to play and just look at the first 9 years until he's 35 his cap hit is a massive 9.8 million dollars. Even if you add in two more years his cap hit is still around 9 million dollars a season. That's cap circumvention, and we all know it. Also you propose the Canucks can do better, who do you think we can get for 3.5 million dollars. That's all that Edler's cap hit is right now, and that's all we have to sign him with. We have those shutdown defensemen, and their names are Hamhuis and Bieksa. I am not predicting immediate doom, I am predicting that we won't be as dangerous of a  team when we lose Edler, since his 40+ points per year will be gone off the blue line. If we had someone like Ryan Ellis, your prediction of someone filling the void would be perfectly valid, but as we don't unfortunately your prediction doesn't hold much in terms of having something to justify it on.

Something you should know is that when making an argument you should come up with solid facts. I've come up with Edler's points, shots on goal, his PP point production, salaries that are comparable, and a prediction based on those facts. What I see from you guys are personal opinions, statements that have no physical backing, and just a general lack of understanding for the game of hockey.

Seriously...

1) Don't worry guys we lose 45+ points off our back end, but we're the same team.

2) Don't worry guys GM's will give us a top tier forward for Edler whose contract is expiring.

3) KC can step in and get 45 points and replace Edler. (you do know it took edler a couple of years to develop)

4) Edler isn't Shea Weber.... (seriously no one ever even said Edler was Weber)

5) You don't know how other GM's will view the value of an expiring contract with Edler, but I know that MG has something to fill Edler's void. Are you MG's pen pal?

6) Naming a bunch of things defensemen do and saying Edler sucks at all of them.

If we could actually get value for Edler in a form of a top young forward I am very much on board. However with this lockout's end in sight then Edler's contract is burning up as far as i understand. Without a NHL season all we're trading in terms of him is his rights. Lets put it this way would you trade one of our top forwards ie. Alex Burrows for a "chance" to sign a defender like Matt Carle. No we cannot get a top forward for him, and no we cannot plug in the hole that him leaving would create. If you don't want to read all that I'll sum it up.

Without the NHL actually playing, all Edler is worth right now are simply the rights, so that teams can begin negotiating with him. In no way shape or form is that worth a solid forward. You don't seem to be able to get that through your thick skull, and I can't tell you this anymore clear then I am telling you now. EDLER IS NOT RESIGNED AND IF WE TRADE HIM ALL THE OTHER TEAM GETS IS HIS RIGHTS IF THERE IS NO SEASON THIS YEAR. If you pair that with how little we know about the cap situation then you make it a pretty shady place for any General Manager to make a deal for. Edler's rights alone will not land you a good young forward. Maybe Sidney Crosby's rights would, but definitely not Edler. Edler is most valuable to us if he is signed and used as our top PP QB. Hansen doesn't play the second line, and he plays a more 3rd and 4th line role. When have you ever seen Hansen out on the PP as a regular. Let me get this clear to you... HANSEN DOES NOT PLAY A SCORING ROLE. I would agree with giving the young players a chance to step up, if we were a team like the Oilers. Any successful team over a long period of time using the example of Detroit gives their players a handful of years to develop in the minors, and then force them to earn their spot. It's not shaking up the core if you lose Edler for nothing, since no GM's will trade for a players rights in the current conditions. Again as long as this lockout wears on Edler's year on his contract is burning up. I don't believe you get how significant that is. Now to clarify I am using facts to justify my prediction, and your using common sense.

Oh yeah Boss don't worry you measured how much weight this structure can hold using trusted formula's, but you know i just eyeballed and gave it a ball park figure. No worries my prediction is obviously more justifiable then yours. Thanks ! Good luck selling that one dude.

Now Edler as an expendable commodity. Why not waive Ballard (as much as I love him), or make Tanev work for his spot. Edler has had two consecutive 45+ point seasons, but you know prospects deserve to be given chances without earning them. We need to adapt the Detroit model, and make young players earn their spots. Edler is expendable I agree, but we need fair return for him. Something we will not get since GM's will treat getting him, as getting an extra couple months to negotiate with him for salary.

Oh oh look at me! I know everything, you know nothing! I'll make up scenarios that have nothing to do with the topic just to try to make you look like an idiot. Here is an off topic jab for you. You must really score a lot of tail with your obvious talent of being an obnoxious know-it-all. Keep it up. I bet it is working for you. Anyways back to the topic. It's not a given that they lose a year off their contracts. They did last time but that is up for negotiation depending on how long this lock out lasts. So until that is decided, we just don't know what his contract status is. I still want to trade him regardless.

Wow jhensenfan you have a lot of time on your hands lol

Stop comparing Edler to Lidstrom already lol they are not even close in calibar. Edler is nowhere near and likely will never be the defensive defensmen Lidstrom was and if he was even close i might be willing to put up with his no grit soft ho hum play! The mentioning of Lidstrom does not help your arguement one bit.

Another point is since your all about Edlers heavily Sedin line aided stats what about Edlers lousy plus minus compared to our other dmen? Oh let me guess bad luck and a overrated stat excuse.

Btw i hate to break it to you but theres not just a few people saying Edler defensive and physical game is weak look through this thread there's a lot. We just don' t look at his ample time on the PP time and 5 on 5 time with the top players in the NHL the Sedins and the odd crunching hit and proclaim he is great like some of you Edler lovers do. Like the other guy said common sense has to come into play buddy.

I simply made a different scenario using the words you said, to poke holes in your flawed logic. You used common sense? Yeah that really beats using facts to come up with a prediction that isn't outlandish. You lose two NHL defensemen, both of who are offensive, and you try to replace them with younger prospects... equals a worse team. Very simple logic. They did it last time, so why wouldn't General Managers treat it like it would happen again. Edler is a good NHL defensemen, and will be the best on the FA market if he hits there. We need to sign him now, for a good salary, and keep him up long term. Do you know how teams are successful long term. They don't go out and sign big FA's they develop talent and keep it, we developed Bieksa and Edler. We need to keep them as our home grown talent, and develop players like KC and Yann Sauve. I never said i knew it all, however I will say this fact plain and true. Although your opinions can be expressed as well as mine, the simple fact is that keeping a Blueliner capable of 45 points is in the Canucks best interest. I don't need to resort to "common sense" to win a debate. Winning debates is using facts, and I did exactly that. Thanks.

@TheBigLuongo

I have a lot of time on my hand. No I really don't, but since I know that I am correct in this debate, retorts come easy to me. I never compared Edler to Lidstrom, but people do think that Edler can develop into a Lidstrom like player. His +/- can easily be explained by his constant PK, and the Sedin's rarely PK. I never proclaimed Edler was Lidstrom/Weber like, but i did say he was a good defensemen that still needs to refine his game. As i posted in my above comment to the other outstanding gentlemen, we need to keep players that we develop. Teams don't win cups through trading, and free agency alone. Perhaps Edler could use more consistency, but don't ever dare say that Edler can't be physical enough. Just his 45+ points a year means that he is such a asset to this team, and will continue to be as long as he has chemistry with the first power play unit.

What you guys are proposing is simply that we drop Edler and let him walk, and use the 3.5 million dollars in cap space we gain, to resign another defensemen. There are no defenders on the market that will take that money to come to Vancouver. Signing Edler at a raise he deserves is perfectly reasonable, as he has put up some good offensive numbers. Getting a top forward for him is a pipe dream, and please just stop mentioning getting one. Asking prospects to step into Edler's shoes or even asking Tanev to do it is unrealistic.

I simply made a different scenario using the words you said, to poke holes in your flawed logic. You used common sense? Yeah that really beats using facts to come up with a prediction that isn't outlandish. You lose two NHL defensemen, both of who are offensive, and you try to replace them with younger prospects... equals a worse team. Very simple logic. They did it last time, so why wouldn't General Managers treat it like it would happen again. Edler is a good NHL defensemen, and will be the best on the FA market if he hits there. We need to sign him now, for a good salary, and keep him up long term. Do you know how teams are successful long term. They don't go out and sign big FA's they develop talent and keep it, we developed Bieksa and Edler. We need to keep them as our home grown talent, and develop players like KC and Yann Sauve. I never said i knew it all, however I will say this fact plain and true. Although your opinions can be expressed as well as mine, the simple fact is that keeping a Blueliner capable of 45 points is in the Canucks best interest. I don't need to resort to "common sense" to win a debate. Winning debates is using facts, and I did exactly that. Thanks.

@TheBigLuongo

I have a lot of time on my hand. No I really don't, but since I know that I am correct in this debate, retorts come easy to me. I never compared Edler to Lidstrom, but people do think that Edler can develop into a Lidstrom like player. His +/- can easily be explained by his constant PK, and the Sedin's rarely PK. I never proclaimed Edler was Lidstrom/Weber like, but i did say he was a good defensemen that still needs to refine his game. As i posted in my above comment to the other outstanding gentlemen, we need to keep players that we develop. Teams don't win cups through trading, and free agency alone. Perhaps Edler could use more consistency, but don't ever dare say that Edler can't be physical enough. Just his 45+ points a year means that he is such a asset to this team, and will continue to be as long as he has chemistry with the first power play unit.

What you guys are proposing is simply that we drop Edler and let him walk, and use the 3.5 million dollars in cap space we gain, to resign another defensemen. There are no defenders on the market that will take that money to come to Vancouver. Signing Edler at a raise he deserves is perfectly reasonable, as he has put up some good offensive numbers. Getting a top forward for him is a pipe dream, and please just stop mentioning getting one. Asking prospects to step into Edler's shoes or even asking Tanev to do it is unrealistic.

Nope, what I propose is the Canucks trading Edler if he doesn't want to agree to what the Canucks are offering him. Like I said before, I like Edler, just not at 6 mil. I think the Canucks can use that 6 mil and do better whether it through trade or free agency. Edler does alot of things well, defending isn't one of them......For a guy who puts up such high points, why is his +/- so weak? For Six mil, you better be the best all round D on our team, and at this point he isn't. Also giving him 6 Mil would almost make him the highest paid player on the team, is that something the organization is ready to do? You cant give a guy 6 mil and hope he lives up to his potential. If the Canucks package him with Luongo perhaps could yield a huge return and save cap space at the same time, who knows! I think Edler should take 5 at the most if He wants to stay in Vancouver, if not, trade him.

Archived