The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

Awesome! Edler!

I can't remember Gillis negotiating with any player a yr before their contract expires. Does anyone remember any examples?

Now we're hearing about Burrows and Edler, makes me wonder what's up? Maybe he's trying to figure out a long term plan - like how much cap space he'll have for next few yrs and how that'll play into a goalie trade?

Awesome! Edler!

I can't remember Gillis negotiating with any player a yr before their contract expires. Does anyone remember any examples?

Now we're hearing about Burrows and Edler, makes me wonder what's up? Maybe he's trying to figure out a long term plan - like how much cap space he'll have for next few yrs and how that'll play into a goalie trade?

All this talk of $5m, $6m or $7m is nonsense. Remember when Jason Garrison was getting $6.5m on July 1st, yet signed for $2m less? Edler is a sensible guy, he knows that Hamhuis and Bieksa take the tough minutes so he looks better against easier forwards - he's signing for that magic $4.6m. I'd say 5/6 years length.

If Edler left on a $7m deal to ANYWHERE, there'd be huge pressure on him to:

- play against top lines

- put up 60pts

- be a leader

I dont think he's capable of doing those things. Love the guy though :)

I think a sedin deal would be fitting. Maybe he wants more with the cap where it is. I'd rather overpay if it means no NTC. As much as gillis

Gets praised for making players sign discounts all those contracts come with a ntc and we have little to no liquid assets at this point aside from our younger players.

okay now heres the question "will mg and edler be able to make a deal with him being capped out at 4.6m?"

i think he will but i have no problem going 5.5m for edler and still think i am getting a discount...he would get 6.5m-7.5m offers on the open market

6yrs/27.6m

4.6m per (exactly the same deal as garrison)

Edler has far too many holes in his game and is a way too soft for my liking i would prefer we trade him.

What i have seen in the past is when the going gets playoff tough guys like Edler crumble and unfortunately thats all i see from Edler.

Locking Edler up for 5 years at 5-6 would be a mistake we would regret.

Awesome! Edler!

I feel like Edler won't sign for a home town discount. He's not a B.C. native, he isn't a Burrows and he isn't a Sedin ( well close) and he sure ain't a Kesler ( Though it seemed after we signed this contract that every other GM went insane with their money). I'm sure he is asking for 7mil a season while Gillis is offering 4.8 mil. It'll probably get shortened down for 6.5 mil for 5 years which is too much for someone soooooooo shaky vs. L.A. last year.

Edler has far too many holes in his game and is a way too soft for my liking i would prefer we trade him.

What i have seen in the past is when the going gets playoff tough guys like Edler crumble and unfortunately thats all i see from Edler.

Locking Edler up for 5 years at 5-6 would be a mistake we would regret.

Archived