The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

Let's get real here. Edler is a good defenseman who, despite not being a bonafide pp qb, can put up very good offensive numbers and can dish out big hits when needed, can play in all situations and usually makes sound decisions, with and without the puck. At this point he's a 2nd pairing defenseman and a complementary piece on the power play. And I'm not convinced he's going to take his game to the next level, though improvements in consistency are to be expected. Defensemen usually get better with experience. What he's not going to do is run the power play, put up 60 points a year on a regular basis, or anchor the top pairing, at least on a contending team.

He may get more, but I would say that 5.5 for 6 years is more than fair. His numbers are in part a product of playing on a good team, and even the Sedins' numbers have dipped without Ehrhoff. I think Enstrom would put up better numbers if he got to play with players like the Sedins, and Enstrom is a legit top pairing dman.

Why don't you think before you post buddy.You think Edler's only inconsistent play was last years playoffs hahaha i wish!! Wake up Edler has been a crap shoot all over the ice since he joined the canucks years ago!!

Edler gets all his points off the Sedins world class play and is usually lost all over the ice but makes the odd good pass and rare good hit and everyone thinks he's a Norris trophy candidate what a farce lolEdler physical hahaha??Here's a clue there's a way more to the game of physicality then the odd hit Edler throws then runs away scared. How about defending your teammates or your goalie when needed? Getting involved in front of our net at all? Not running away like a baby never showing any emotions? When does that softy Edler ever do any of that?I know NEVER!Hey wake up Edler is overrated and has always been horrible defensively not just last year against LA. Hell Edler's plus minus of 0 say's it all!When you play all your 5 on 5 ice time with the best players in the world the Sedins and their numbers are very good there's definitely something wrong any fool should be able to see that. Maybe you should think some more and watch closer buddy your missing alot.

All this talk of $5m, $6m or $7m is nonsense. Remember when Jason Garrison was getting $6.5m on July 1st, yet signed for $2m less? Edler is a sensible guy, he knows that Hamhuis and Bieksa take the tough minutes so he looks better against easier forwards - he's signing for that magic $4.6m. I'd say 5/6 years length.

If Edler left on a $7m deal to ANYWHERE, there'd be huge pressure on him to:

- play against top lines

- put up 60pts

- be a leader

I dont think he's capable of doing those things. Love the guy though :)

Edler is going to break out big time this year. He's the #1 point option on the PP now with Salo heading out, I'd like to see him out there for the full 2 minutes like a lot of other high end d-men. And with Garrison, that pairing is now able to log BIG minutes.

He's worth around 6M right now, but man, if he has a breakout season that number is going to skyrocket. Gillis should get this done ASAP.

Why don't you think before you post buddy.You think Edler's only inconsistent play was last years playoffs hahaha i wish!! Wake up Edler has been a crap shoot all over the ice since he joined the canucks years ago!!

Edler gets all his points off the Sedins world class play and is usually lost all over the ice but makes the odd good pass and rare good hit and everyone thinks he's a Norris trophy candidate what a farce lolEdler physical hahaha??Here's a clue there's a way more to the game of physicality then the odd hit Edler throws then runs away scared. How about defending your teammates or your goalie when needed? Getting involved in front of our net at all? Not running away like a baby never showing any emotions? When does that softy Edler ever do any of that?I know NEVER!Hey wake up Edler is overrated and has always been horrible defensively not just last year against LA. Hell Edler's plus minus of 0 say's it all!When you play all your 5 on 5 ice time with the best players in the world the Sedins and their numbers are very good there's definitely something wrong any fool should be able to see that. Maybe you should think some more and watch closer buddy your missing alot.

Sorry but Edler is isn't going to get paid $7 M a season. If the Canucks want a true 7 M/year defenceman, they can wait until the Predators trade Weber next summer.

There has not been any NTC or NMC signed in that contract yet.

Edler is worth 5.6 M. Tops.

He is good but has not achieved greatness yet. I say the Canucks sign him to 28 M over 5 years. Give him one more year to become the Norris contender he is tauted as. If he falls short, trade him for a Norris contender.

Edler has no interest in re signing here for a reasonable amount. If so he would have done it long ago. Unless we overpay, the guy is doing exactly what Erhoff did before him.

Gillis needs to tell him to sign a contract or hammer his ass out of town. Ifs he is anywhere near as good as some here are claiming , he should bring at least 3 first rounders.

Its amazing how fantastic defensemen look being spoon fed second assists on our powerplay.

Archived