The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

All depends what the price tag is.

If Edler and his agent are asking for a Suter like contract, it may force Gillis to see what Edler's value is in a trade.

I personally don't think it's wise to let go of 50 point defenseman like him, because the market for D-men is always thin. And we saw the impact that letting Ehrhoff go had.

Although a Edler for Kane trade would be tempting, I don't think our D could cut it without Edler.

Why don't you think before you post buddy.You think Edler's only inconsistent play was last years playoffs hahaha i wish!! Wake up Edler has been a crap shoot all over the ice since he joined the canucks years ago!!

Edler gets all his points off the Sedins world class play and is usually lost all over the ice but makes the odd good pass and rare good hit and everyone thinks he's a Norris trophy candidate what a farce lolEdler physical hahaha??Here's a clue there's a way more to the game of physicality then the odd hit Edler throws then runs away scared. How about defending your teammates or your goalie when needed? Getting involved in front of our net at all? Not running away like a baby never showing any emotions? When does that softy Edler ever do any of that?I know NEVER!Hey wake up Edler is overrated and has always been horrible defensively not just last year against LA. Hell Edler's plus minus of 0 say's it all!When you play all your 5 on 5 ice time with the best players in the world the Sedins and their numbers are very good there's definitely something wrong any fool should be able to see that. Maybe you should think some more and watch closer buddy your missing alot.

I think a large part of Edler's problem was the lack of a consistent partner and him having to play too many minutes. (On a lot nights, Edler played 25 minutes a game.)

It should be better this year. Garrison is a very reliable D-man who is capable of playing lots and lots of minutes in a top-pairing situation. Tanev was playing top four minutes at the end of last season and did very well in a shut down role when the canucks had that little streak at the end. Ballard was also playing better this past season and we should see a steady impovement.

When healthy, our d-score is very very well balanced. This will change once injuries start to mount.

At this point of his career, his next contract will NOT be based on potential. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have in Edler. He's a # 1-2 offensive D-man capable of putting up 40-50 points/yr consistently when playing with a talented offensive team. He'll also show flashes of physicality that make you wonder why he isn't one of the top 5 D-men in the NHL. But then he'll go on 5-10 game droughts where he plays like a rookie that's afraid to carry the puck, completely forgetting about the physical side of the game and the fact that he has a 95 mile an hour slap shot! Just goes to show how much of this game is mental. So as good as he is, he always leaves you wanting more.

For the most part you hit the nail on the head.

Edlers game is much more inconsistent then many fans notice or like to admit and patience did start wearing thin with AV last season when he came out and called Edler out in the media as he should have.

Edler is a way too soft and with all his holes in his game is not worth a dime more then our other defensemen and personally if him and his agent want 5 or more i would trade him.

The guy throws the odd good hit and he's a beast lol

Edler hits then if someone get's pissed off he runs and hides cowering or he goes games without throwing anymore.

I will also add Edler puts himself in horrible position trying to throw the big hit quite often costing goals against.

The guy has never in all his years got involved in a scrum or even entered one with a teammate getting picked on or roughed up even though he's huge it's a laughable lol

What about in front of our net he couldn't be more of a chicken there either!

Hell Schneider could be getting a beating and the guy would skate to the bench like a wuss. He has no personality whats so ever even when scored on its terrible.

He's a soft as anybody in the league.

Haha wow what a physical beast that is a joke.

Bottom line is a cowering defensemen looking lost making tons of errors is not what i want in the playoffs. We are too close to winning it all to have it.

The guy throws the odd good hit and he's a beast lol

Edler hits then if someone get's pissed off he runs and hides cowering or he goes games without throwing anymore.

I will also add Edler puts himself in horrible position trying to throw the big hit quite often costing goals against.

The guy has never in all his years got involved in a scrum or even entered one with a teammate getting picked on or roughed up even though he's huge it's a laughable lol

What about in front of our net he couldn't be more of a chicken there either!

Hell Schneider could be getting a beating and the guy would skate to the bench like a wuss. He has no personality whats so ever even when scored on its terrible.

He's a soft as anybody in the league.

Haha wow what a physical beast that is a joke.

Bottom line is a cowering defensemen looking lost making tons of errors is not what i want in the playoffs. We are too close to winning it all to have it.

Archived