The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

If Edler wants to remain in Vancouver, then he will. Let him play out his final year of his contract and see how he does. I like Edler but have a hard time thinking he's worth anything over 5.25 depending on term. He isn't an elite player but does bring allot to the table. I hope the Canucks can extend him.

If Gillis loses him too, then he deserves to be fired. You can't expect everyone to take a home town discount. frack dude, this is a 50 point defencemen, and this is how they negotiate. They negotiate based on the players total points. I'm sure he's not asking for 7 million, but man, I don't care what happens, losing Edler will be a f in huge blow to the team.

One massive difference, I am sure which would even be noticed by that buff dude in your siggy, is the 30 lb difference between Eddler and K Not.

Guess some guys don't believe bigger is better...? :P

edit; and thinking absolutely logically we are already on the thin line of playing talented D over having enough size on D (where we have been exploited in play-off series past). Exchanging a roster spot losing Edler regardless how you think of him, for a guy 30 pounds lighter is stupid. It's a matchup nightmare! I've also noticed posts giving up strong asset's like Lou for marginal players like Franson to avoid this liability. It's folly!

People rate Edlers good offensive abilities a way too high.

The Sedins will make any decent offensive defencemans point totals into a all stars and imo Kevin Connauton will get just as many points as Edler in his first season if given the chance.

Connauton has worked very hard at his defensive game, is very physical, has great passing skills, has a great shot and uses it well, is very mobile and is a very good rusher of the puck .

If the Canucks put Connauton in early season and work with him closely there's no doubt in my mind he will do excellent and will be in fine form come playoff time.

We have a strong team around him including an awesome goalie to help him out as well.

We should use Edlers money somewhere else.

No matter how you slice it; we have to reserve $5 to $7 mill (or new CBA equivalent to sign Edler. Where he does not sign, we still have that money to shop and we still get something back.

Unless we look in no waay like a contender at the next deadline. It's probably better to keep Edler for a cup run (where we make $30 to $60 mill) and take your chances signing him!

Losing him for nothing would be a huge blow. Trading him for something of value wouldn't be. I like Edler, but not at anything more than 5 mil per.

Some of you guys are joking if you think we don't need Edler. He is bonafide top pairing defenseman. Sure he has weaknesses and is inconsistent, but he has all the tools every other team would love to have: Size, mobility, physicality, puck-moving, and a hard shot. We have no suitable replacement in the organization right now.

He's going to get paid. That is that. Unless the dynamics of a new CBA totally change the UFA market, Edler won't take a penny less than the 5.5 million Matt Carle deal. Edler is FAR superior to Carle in every facet of the game. With that comparison, 5.5 million is a hometown discount and I would for one would be fine giving Edler 5.5 for 6 years. We need him.

Do you want a defense like this?

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Garrison

Alberts - Tanev

And hopefully maybe Connauton or Sauve will surprise us.

That defense takes us no where. Like it or not Gillis will need to pay Edler. He has to really.

Elite teams replace greedy players with great upcoming prospects quite often and don't miss a beat.

The Canucks are very deep and will have great mentors for Connauton he will have tons of support on a great team.

Connauton will bring as much or more offense, will meet the physical needs a dman should have and will do just as well defensively. Connauton has a way more heart and balls then Edler physically it will not be a problem at all plus he isn't a small guy.

If we didn't have such a offensive stud like Connauton to take his place offensively i would think twice but Connauton will produce big points.

The truth is Edler is a decent dman with most of the tools but the Sedins and others make Edler look like a All Star.

With Edler's fat contract he want's and him being so mistake prone and having a such a shabby defensive game it would be well worth it to package him off possibly with Luongo and or Raymond for something really good.

I am convinced Connaution and Sauve are ready to play in the NHL now. Why cant they be the 6th and 7th and give Ballard the top 4 spot ?

We are not paying 6 mil for edler and thats what his agent has convinced him he is worth on the open market. Man I wish they would cut a new CBA so we could trade his ass asap.

People rate Edlers good offensive abilities a way too high.

The Sedins will make any decent offensive defencemans point totals into a all stars and imo Kevin Connauton will get just as many points as Edler in his first season if given the chance.

Connauton has worked very hard at his defensive game, is very physical, has great passing skills, has a great shot and uses it well, is very mobile and is a very good rusher of the puck .

If the Canucks put Connauton in early season and work with him closely there's no doubt in my mind he will do excellent and will be in fine form come playoff time.

We have a strong team around him including an awesome goalie to help him out as well.

We should use Edlers money somewhere else.

I don't understand why you didn't respond to my prior argument. You mentioned in one of your posts back a few pages that Edler doesn't shoot enough? In direct comparison everyone here on CDC can say that Daniel Sedin is our top scorer.

Daniel Sedin had 229 shots on goal where as Edler had 228 shots on goal. Yes Edler played more, but Edler is also a defensemen who happen to shoot a lot less. Now remember shots are only counted, when the goalie has to make a save. This excludes all the slap passes off the boards that Edler fires on net. Another comparison would be Alex Burrows who had 30 less shots, while playing directly on the Sedin's line... now holy his money is a complete waste of cash. The Canucks scored 57 power play goals this year, and Edler had 5 of them. Finally in case you wanted to compare shooting percentages, then your right Edler is terrible at shooting, but again we should put Byron Bitz on the point since he has a 16.7% shooting percentage.

Also I would like for you to explain your constant contradictions. You like to say that Edler sucks at skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, is a little "girl" on the ice, and can't fight. Then you say in your latest post that he has most of the tools? I don't understand that. Aren't the tools of hockey exactly skating, shooting, passing, hitting, consistency, and etc.

Elite teams usually have players to fill roster spots, but we don't have many elite defensemen. I'm not saying KC won't be a beast one day, but he is not NHL proven. Even if he has a great first year, he's prone to a sophomore slump, and I'd feel a lot confident having Edler and the defence group slowly mentor him. I'm not saying Edler deserves Shea Weber money, but 6 million long term is a very fair amount for a guy whose still developing his game. There's a reason that people say defensemen need time to mature. As you can clearly see from statistics he is clearly more confident shooting the puck, and the results are there.

Edler needs to be resigned. Not at any cost, but 6 million a season... would not make anyone in management, or the fan base lose sleep. Well other than you of course.

Ok let me explain what should be obvious.

Edler get's shots any dman would with the Sedins the coaches want him shooting a ton they think either he scores, rebounds are to be had and opens things up for the Sedins. The sad thing is any dman with a shot as hard as Edlers should have 15 goals easy getting all the chances they get with the Sedins. He gets a lot of shots but he misses the net far too often and could be far more productive at it from what is see.

To clarify i deleted part of your post, not because it doesn't support my argument, but because my paragraphs are long, and i don't want this entire post to take up half a page.

One part made me laugh really hard when i glanced by it the first time. Edler's weak on retrieving dump in's? That should be fairly obvious. That's like saying... Well Schneider is a great goalie, but he lacks that finish in the offensive zone. News flash buddy Edler isn't supposed to get the dump in's. He's supposed to ring it as hard as he can from centre and have a good forecheck supporting him. If Edler is aided by the Sedin's, then Garrison's 16 goals were aided by Campbell who is a slick passer. Our defence core is looking pretty weak then. The players around you are supposed to make you better, hence why they are your teammates. Edler's hard shot aids the twins when they play, just like the smooth passing of Campbell helped Garrison. What your essentially saying is that unless a player can do it all on their own... such as Sidney then they are utterly useless, since the point of hockey isn't to work the pucks off your teammates to get the best results for your team. I have never played in high level hockey such as junior B, or WHL, or any of those high level leagues, but i can tell you right now that passing between teammates is a far better solution then doing it all yourself. Again I am a fan with my own opinion, but I believe that Edler helps the Sedin's, not as much as the Sedin's help him, but he is a strong force playing with the twins.

Now going onto the "good defensemen" logic. Erik Karlsson doesn't strike fear into anyone. Hell he doesn't even strike fear into me, but his skating ability and offensive flair make him such a good defensemen. Phaneuf is very inconsistent, yet he still strikes fear into opposing forwards just like Edler puts fear into the likes of opposing forwards. Different players can do different things, and the Canucks aren't so fortunate that we can ignore skill, just because we want to have more grit. Brian Burke tried that signing Mike Komisarek and making his team bigger, meaner, and tougher.... We can all agree as Canucks fans that the leafs are unsuccessful at the moment.

To conclude, I am not in denial. I understand that Edler has been inconsistent in the past, but he's working to develop his game. Every player gets on hot and cold streaks, even the Sedin's and Kesler arguably our best players. If we let Edler walk, we might have KC to plug the gap, but I wouldn't be too confident about our defence group with him as our bottom pairing. Even Nashville who had a guy like Ryan Ellis in the wing, and who seem to do nothing but churn out defensemen after defensemen have nightmares over letting Suter walk. The Canucks are not that good at developing quality defensemen consistently. Yes we have hit gems in the past such as Bieksa, Tanev, KC(hopefully), and Edler. I am not Edler's biggest fan boy, and I can see that he has flaws in his game, but he's still only 26 and he has plenty of time to improve.

P.S. I am trying to convince you to see my side of view, just like you are trying to give me your side of view. That is how a message board is supposed to work correct?

Wow buddy get with it i meant dump ins by the opposition in the defensive zone. Come on man who the hell would think a dman should be frequently getting his own shoot ins lol.

Look Edlers weaknesses outweigh his assets it's as simple as that. That's what i have always seen and that's all i am saying.

I don't see proof of Edler being weak on the dump in's in the defensive zone. The Canucks have always been known for having a strong and experienced break out. Edler fortunately is a huge part of that breakout. If you think my opinion is wrong then please continue this argument with me. This is a message board, and you already have had no issues with putting your views on this thread. Why not continue this with me? His assets are being a very good power play quarter back, a strong hitter, huge shot, and the fact that he posses the capabilities for a mean breakout. I'm not here to read your mind, but to simply interpret what your saying, and argue my point of view. If something's unclear then i can spin it one way or another. A solution for you is to spell everything out clearly for me, and I won't have an opportunity to do that. I can name examples of all stars who rely on other players in order for them to be successful. Jason Garrison with Brian Campbell? Kevin Bieksa with Dan Hamhuis? Shea Weber with Ryan Suter? Drew Doughty with Rob Scuderi? No matter how good you are, you need others to be successful. If putting Edler with the Sedin's means that he is a effective PP QB who puts up 45 points a season who cares? Burrows makes the Sedin's better, but the Sedin's make Burrows into a 30 goal scorer. No one in the organization has the skill or the experience to replace the 45 points that Edler can put up in a season, and you unfortunately don't realize this for some dim witted reason.

As far as replacing the 45 points go's, I would be fine with a forward replacing those points and having a better defensive minded D. I understand why Gillis doesn't want to give huge money to edler,it's because he isnt worth anything over 5 mil. Defensively Edler is decent and offensively he is really good. The problem I see with Edler is mental tuffness and consistency, both things you need to be a Stanley Cup contender. I really like Edler on most nights, but he also makes me mad allot aswell. If Edler and his agent feel they can do better on the open market, then so be it. I'm sure the Canucks can do just as well in a trade or on the free agent market to replace him.

Detroit one of the best consistent teams, couldn't get a guy like Suter to ink with them. We have tried that forward on the point... his name was Samuelsson. If teams understand that we can't sign Edler, and we're letting him walk his value will be just a bit over what Ehrhoff's value was. It's not like we can guarantee that we can get a defensive defensemen and an offensive forward when Edler walks. It's just like Nashville's situation where they can't replace Suter, and now their team looks much more soft then before. Offense does start with solid defensive plays, but that defensive play needs to be able to throw out a breakout pass in order for the forwards to even start on the attack. Seriously whenever a contract comes up, then people just start ripping on the player, and saying how we don't need him. We need Edler. We don't need him to be our highest paid player, but 6 million is a perfect price for him. If Garrison is worth the money he got, then Edler is most definitely worth them 6 million i proposed.

Detroit one of the best consistent teams, couldn't get a guy like Suter to ink with them. We have tried that forward on the point... his name was Samuelsson. If teams understand that we can't sign Edler, and we're letting him walk his value will be just a bit over what Ehrhoff's value was. It's not like we can guarantee that we can get a defensive defensemen and an offensive forward when Edler walks. It's just like Nashville's situation where they can't replace Suter, and now their team looks much more soft then before. Offense does start with solid defensive plays, but that defensive play needs to be able to throw out a breakout pass in order for the forwards to even start on the attack. Seriously whenever a contract comes up, then people just start ripping on the player, and saying how we don't need him. We need Edler. We don't need him to be our highest paid player, but 6 million is a perfect price for him. If Garrison is worth the money he got, then Edler is most definitely worth them 6 million i proposed.

The problem isnt getting Edler signed because he wants to be in Vancouver, it's getting him signed to a dollar figure and term in which is fair for him and the team. 6 Mil is a mil to much in my opinion. He brings it offensively but he's not great at the defensive aspects of the game. You don't pay elite level money to a guy with that many flaws in his game. My feeling is he is being offered the same as Garrison with money front loaded, but his agent is probably trying to get more. If that is the case, trade him. It's not like Edler is Shea Weber or anything.

This guy is right there's no way Edler is worth 6 he has far too many weaknesses.

You are obviously one of the big Edler fans who see the rare Edler highlight hit, the odd good pass or see him getting points with the Sedins 5 on 5 or the PP and think the guy is a hero lol.

Unfortunately there is far more to Edlers overall game and it all goes down from there.

Not tough enough never defended a teammate since being a canuck.

Not mentally tough enough takes being scored on and losing far too easy.

Not good enough skating laterally especially.

Not good at decision making at opposition blueline giving too many odd man rushes.

Not good at holding pucks in and very clumsy when it come to this.

Misses the net far too often.

Not enough goals playing on the #1 line.

With all the Sedin offensive zone possession and pp time and being set up on a platter by Burrows and the Sedins not enough goals.

Too slow to retrieve opposition dump ins and scared to take a hit so gives away possession.

Fails to clear front of the net at all never defends the goalie.

Lost far too often and takes wrong man in defensive zone.

Bad penalties at bad times.

Bad plus minus having all his 5 on 5 ice time with the Sedins a clear indicator in this circumstance his defensive game is severely lacking.

Edler is overrated and it would be a big mistake to pay him big long term and be stuck with him if he can never turn his game around.

Edler was by far the worst canuck in the kings series and unfortunately he plays brutal like that far more then many want or admit too see.

The teams best move would be to trade him.

The harsh truth is teams would never win Stanley Cups counting on defensemen like Edler.

Archived