The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to begin extension talks with Edler

What team can afford to pay a 2nd pairing defenseman more than the guys in front of him and the team's elite forwards? He is allegedly still developing a defensive game that has been preached to him for 5 years by the same coaching staff and still can't fully figure it out. It's poor money management to retain him for more than he is worth to the team. If his perceived value around the league is the same as jhansenfan believes, we should have no problem moving him anyways. Oh wait, he is worth a 6-7 mil per year extension but not worth a 2nd line forward in a trade.

Edler is not worth the Schenn brothers, and Detroit loves Smith. The point is that Edler is a UFA if the lockout burns up a year of his contract. Lets put it in another sense, since you don't understand the value of Edler at this moment. Would you trade Ryan Kesler +Nicklas Jensen + 2nd for Tobias Enstrom if he didn't have a contract, and had never played for your team? Edler is worth 6 million dollars, just because he has that developed offensive game, and his defensive game though lacking is not horrendous like someone like Mark Streit. You are blowing Edler's defensive game as terrible, but he plays the PK. How bad can he be on defence if he plays PK minutes on the President's trophy winning team. He plays all situations. That is why he's worth 6 million dollars.

Actually it's

After season's end (if there is one) in July.

To Nashville: Edler (after signing him for $5 M), Booth or Raymond, Ballard, :lol: and 2 first round draft picks 2013

To Van: Shea Weber. Never got his NMC or NTC signed. Poile elected not to. Canucks would welcome the contract and would sign both clauses.

:bigblush: This seems to be the requisite face for every Weber to Vancouver thread. Therefore I include it.

You know, you can make deals that involve subjects that need to be removed, such as player needs to agree to an extension with the new team, before the deal can be processed. However, the only option you seem to have is to sign him to a bloated deal that he will likely never live up to. In the process you render him essentially untradeable since he will be overpaid. This team doesn't need another albatross contract like Luongo's.

Well in an unfortunate turn of events, Edler has a bulging disc in his back. Now he won't be worth anything in a trade and certainly won't be worth a long term, high paying extension. 26 years old and more back problems. Even when he is available to play, he's one awkward hit, given or taken, away from being out again.

Well in an unfortunate turn of events, Edler has a bulging disc in his back. Now he won't be worth anything in a trade and certainly won't be worth a long term, high paying extension. 26 years old and more back problems. Even when he is available to play, he's one awkward hit, given or taken, away from being out again.

Well fortunately the majority of my arguments were made before this news was made open to the public. Unless you can claim that you know someone in Canucks management directly, and they gave you this information before hand... then you can't say that Edler's injury prone. When there are clauses in deals, they usually take down the value if teams have to negotiate with the player before the deal even goes through. You can recover from injuries, or else Daniel Sedin is worthless since he has a broken foot, Kesler should be traded for a 3rd round pick. We should have given up a first round pick to get rid of Salo, and Hamhuis should be waived, since you know he was injured in the Boston vs Vancouver final.

I think Edler will regret not signing a long term deal before the CBA expired. Salaries will come down significantly and UFA age might go up. Of Course it all depends on how much Edler was being offered. I assume he was offered around $5 to $5.5 per year. I don't see him getting any more than that after seeing how serious the owners are with the CBA negotiations.

Even if he gets the same amount its a net loss for Edler. He could already have the extension in his back pocket so he would have piece of mind and even bigger thing is the contract would be guaranteed in case of injury gets worse.

Maybe he was injured before the start of the lockout; and terms are agreed subject to his recovery?

I think Edler will regret not signing a long term deal before the CBA expired. Salaries will come down significantly and UFA age might go up. Of Course it all depends on how much Edler was being offered. I assume he was offered around $5 to $5.5 per year. I don't see him getting any more than that after seeing how serious the owners are with the CBA negotiations.

Even if he gets the same amount its a net loss for Edler. He could already have the extension in his back pocket so he would have piece of mind and even bigger thing is the contract would be guaranteed in case of injury gets worse.

Pretty sure that Poile didn't sign either an NTC or and NMC for Weber, so saying he is locked up is misleading.

Now why Poile didn't sign either is anyone's guess but obviously speaks to the idea that he intends to trade Weber with a year or two.

Archived