335 replies to this topic

#181 DBag

DBag

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Edler will be our 4th Dman with a NTC (assuming). I hope these don't bite us in the arse in the long run.

I really hope Edler doesn't get a NTC. It's not that I don't want to keep Edler, but I don't think it'd be wise for each of our top 4 dmen to have a NTC. Pay Edler market value (5 to 5.5 mill per) but don't give him a NTC. If we want to shake things up 1 or 2 years down the road for a #1/#2 dman, Edler would be a good piece of the package goin the other way.

#182 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

MG should really get a deal done soon here!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#183 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I think you've gotta ask yourself 2 questions:

1) Is Edler a long term interest for the Canucks

2) Does Edler's value fit within the pay roll structure of the Canucks?

I think Edler is a long term interest for the Canucks. He is coming into his prime, has the ability to be a consistent 40+ point D man and although he has had his gaffe's he is still a quality defender. He did have a miserable playoff last season but c'mon people the guy is human- human error is a reality so live and let learn. For the most part he has been quite reliable (people tend to forget just how good along the boards Edler really is). Put it this way, of all the Canucks D (including Hamhuis) I still would be confident in Edler's play in all situations.

I could see him getting signed to a 4-6 year contract. Value wise, I think the reality is Edler is easily worth 5.5 million a season if not more if some teams are willing to over pay. If the Canucks sign him long term, tthe mutual benefit could be the cap hit coming down a bit i.e 5.2 to 5.3 million. Still, it's a big chunk of money but you need proven top 4 D.

The real question is whether Edler can justify his earnings. If he play's as well as he has so far, then yes, his contract is worth it. Solid D wins cups. If Edler can up his game similar to how the Sedins upped their game after signing their contracts, then he could be a steal of a signing in comparison to other premier NHL Defensemen.

What I'm curious about is how well he can play with Garrison. 2 big guys that if they can play a solid shut down game AND put up some numbers, the Canucks could feasibly have a 1A and 1B type D pairing on most teams (Hamhuis/Bieksa & Edler/Garrison). Not to say either pairing is best in the league in terms of individual pairs, but taken as a whole it could be exactly the step the Canucks back end needs to take to win a cup.

OK now I'm excited! F this lockout and let's get some hockey going!!!!

I think a large part of Edler's problem was the lack of a consistent partner and him having to play too many minutes. (On a lot nights, Edler played 25 minutes a game.)

It should be better this year. Garrison is a very reliable D-man who is capable of playing lots and lots of minutes in a top-pairing situation. Tanev was playing top four minutes at the end of last season and did very well in a shut down role when the canucks had that little streak at the end. Ballard was also playing better this past season and we should see a steady impovement.

When healthy, our d-score is very very well balanced. This will change once injuries start to mount.

I think there are great reasons to leave the top shut down role to Hamhuis, and scoring roles to Edler. Edler is a better passer, has the offensive instincts and both quick and big shots.

What I don't get, power play aside, is why invest Garrison with Edler 5 on 5? Garrison would add shot blocking and battle in front of the net defensively. But not puck rushing, so the pair would still have shortcomings and therefore would not be a true 27 min a game workhorse pair. I suggest the best role for Edler is a primary offensive zone start role, like and with the Twins, paired with another great passer (Tanev) who is also good position-ally). It makes good limited use of Tanev, who by the way is waaay to small for any shut down role. Anybody who did not see him get hammered in the first period of the LA series with Hamhuis should not be posting, nor suggesting such a role. And then bring up Garrison with Edler for a second big shot on the PP!

Garrison with Ballard could be both our secondary scoring D pair and secondary shut down pair. It would also give Ballard a stay at home guy so he could have the freedom (which he had matched with Bowmeister in Florida) to rush the puck and play a creative game. As noted in the next response below, we also need to ice a pair which has a guy who can carry the puck out of pressure on the fore check. This pair both block shots, offer size at 212 and 220 lbs, Garrison has the shot, Ballard amazing wheels and would have the best physical tools of all our pairs. Playing against second tier match ups these two could a dynamic weapon!

These pairings would provide natural roles for all our guys, and manage minutes to keep guys fresh.

Edler / Tanev primary offensive shifts
Hamhuis / Bieksa primary shut down pair, also top PK
Ballard / Garrison secondary O' shifts and D' shifts

Edler / Garrison fearsome top PP! And no reason you could not double shift Garrison, throwing him and Edler out together with the Twins after a an icing; where we get an offensive draw against a puff'd match up.

At this point of his career, his next contract will NOT be based on potential. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have in Edler. He's a # 1-2 offensive D-man capable of putting up 40-50 points/yr consistently when playing with a talented offensive team. He'll also show flashes of physicality that make you wonder why he isn't one of the top 5 D-men in the NHL. But then he'll go on 5-10 game droughts where he plays like a rookie that's afraid to carry the puck, completely forgetting about the physical side of the game and the fact that he has a 95 mile an hour slap shot! Just goes to show how much of this game is mental. So as good as he is, he always leaves you wanting more.

These 2 points illustrate the difference between Edler and a true Norris calibre guy.

It does not mean Edler is not a superb player, just missing 1 or 2 elements of the truly elite. One, while he hits (sometimes a ton, see LA series 3 years ago), he does not move bodies from in front of the net or punish guys who battle to get there. But those open ice hits are thrilling. Two, while very talented passing and shooting the puck, he is not a puck carrying / rushing defender. So we remain at risk to the fore check if the teams (see this years LA series in a big way) can aggressively pressure and clog the outlet pass. We need a guy with the speed to break through gaps before pressure arrives and haul the puck up ice as attackers circle. So he either needs the right partner who compliments and provides these skills, or just the right role which shields us because these skills are not on offer.

See intermediate response above.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 10 September 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#184 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Well first of all Lidstrom was a +21 and has been anywhere fromm +21 to +40 most of his career and is 10 times better then Edler this is a stupid point bringing Lidstrom into this lol
Bieksa is about the same risk defensively as Edler and is quite equal as far as that goes but 5 on 5 Bieksa had more points and given the pp time Edler gets i think would Bieksa would be better.
Bieksa is far more physical and far more important to the team do to his leadership qualities .

If you think that Edler was only bad defensively the last part of the season and playoffs you better stop smoking the dope he has pretty much been horrible since he joined the team years ago.

Hahahahahahahaha Kevin Bieksa is horrible defensivley! If Hamhuis wasn't there to babysit him night in night out, he would be -20.

#185 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hahahahahahahaha Kevin Bieksa is horrible defensivley! If Hamhuis wasn't there to babysit him night in night out, he would be -20.

Well most offensive defenseman need stay at home defensemen to compliment their games.

We'll see how good Weber is without Suter...

#186 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

No Edler announcement yet. MG needs to get him locked up long term before the CBA expires.

#187 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Looks like Edler's on his way out.

The fact that they didn't lock him up long term means he's like going to be traded for a top 6. He's clearly asking for too much, and will only cost the Canucks more under the new CBA.

Edler for Kane

#188 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

The fact that they didn't lock him up long term means he's like going to be traded for a top 6. He's clearly asking for too much, and will only cost the Canucks more under the new CBA.

Edler for Kane

Day ain't over yet man. Relax there. Let's not jump to conclusions.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#189 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Double post

Edited by Bure fan, 14 September 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#190 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Day ain't over yet man. Relax there. Let's not jump to conclusions.

The deadline for approving contracts under the old CBA was today. Hence the Doan deadline at 2:00.

Unless the Canucks are keeping an Edler deal air tight, it ain't happening any time soon if at all.

#191 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Lp
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#192 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

$758,000,000 over 62 years.
Posted Image

#193 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Edler for Kane

Yeah because you work in the Canucks organization right? So you would know.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#194 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Don't think he's re-signing with us boys. Trade him while we can. (If there is a season.)

#195 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

If we resign Eddy, I really hope MG doesn't give him a NTC.
He's got really good trade value. He has all the tools to become a #1Dman.
IMO, he won't reach that potential. (Not just basing it off the playoffs)

I don't think he'll ever become a Norris nominee. But will be around the top-10 level.
He's not our "go-to-guy" defensively, which isn't typical of these defensemen. (excluding Karlsson)

I'm hoping that I'll eat my words...

#196 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Edler for Kane

I'd take that. We don't have a stellar defense without him, but we have a solid one. We really need that top 6 though.

#197 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

He needs to play confidently and he can be - remain - an all star.

Last lesson needs to be learnt - when u fukc up don't let it effect your next move, trust yourself.

#198 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

I think 4 years at 4.6m per is good enough for Edler. He's shown potential to be an elite defenseman, but also have lapses that can be a big deal, so signing at 4 years is safe I think.

I think you "think" too much. :rolleyes:

Edler is our star defensemen, 6 years at 5.4 per sounds reasonable. Around the same as Enstrom commanded, indeed.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#199 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

gonna be hard to keep edler unless they trade luongo and/or ballard.. this team got way too many guys making over 4+ mil a yr especially on defense.. ..

#200 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

If Edler ends up walking for nothing instead of Keith Ballard.... :picard: :sadno:

Edited by adniel_g, 15 September 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#201 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

We now need to trade Luongo for a top six forward no question. But we can also dump Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts as well (maybe let Higgins and Malhotra walk if necessary at the end of the year) which would free up close to $10 million. Say Luongo is traded for a top six winger with say, a $5 million cap hit. Top six solidified. Then we can trade Ballard and Raymond for an extra $6,475,000 of cap space. When that's all said and done we would have $9,239,999 in cap space. Plenty of room.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#202 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

If Edler ends up walking for nothing instead of Keith Ballard.... :picard: :sadno:

You mean we would be losing Grabner, Quinten Howden, Bernier and Edler for Ballard.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#203 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

We now need to trade Luongo for a top six forward no question. But we can also dump Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts as well (maybe let Higgins and Malhotra walk if necessary at the end of the year) which would free up close to $10 million. Say Luongo is traded for a top six winger with say, a $5 million cap hit. Top six solidified. Then we can trade Ballard and Raymond for an extra $6,475,000 of cap space. When that's all said and done we would have $9,239,999 in cap space. Plenty of room.

crazy talk

#204 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

crazy talk

If necessary*

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#205 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Cam Tucker@CamTuckerSun
Laurence Gilman also told reporters the #Canucks are still in contract talks with D Alex Edler.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#206 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

How?!

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#207 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Any news?!?!?!?! This is really coming down to the wire...

Would love to see Eddie re-signed ASAP.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#208 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Any news?!?!?!?! This is really coming down to the wire...

Would love to see Eddie re-signed ASAP.

Me too, i wish we would have re-signed Edler before the lock-out.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#209 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

If Edler not signed to extension he'll be UFA next summer. Not good. He will get huge offers as one of the most if not the most coveted UFA next summer.

#210 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

For Canuck fans asking, and many are, there will not be an Alex Edler extension prior to midnight.

:sadno:

Wonder if he's a goner after the new CBA? There are many teams who are looking for quality d-men. If he walks as a UFA next summer, the Nucks get nothing but a 4th round draft pick (a la Erhoff). They can't afford to lose him for nothing. :(

Edited by RunningWild, 15 September 2012 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.