The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Gurney: How long does it take to beat a suspect in Vancouver?

Satan's Evil Twin

LOL?

I've been kicked harder 100 times in my life wrestling my older brother.

What is this moron doing handcuffed half naked anyway?

I say kick people doing stupid things like this.

If you find me half naked on the street, high on drugs, and committing crimes, I permit you to kick me several times much harder and preferably in the head.

Agree with the OP. Rights, enabled to restrict government and its workers through our constitution and laws, are in place to protect its citizens from exactly what happens in this video. If our police forces infringe on these rights than that is an infringement on the basis of our country. Just because they are cops does not mean they have any more rights than we as citizens do. The fact that most of the posters condone this type of behaviour is ridiculous. The perp will be punished through the judicial system, if in fact he is guilty, and face penalties that are necessary. But if everyone is in favour of extra punishment through excessive force to help society run smoother and get those 'scumbags' off the streets; I recommend moving Iran or another Sharia law based country - sounds like a utopia for the security-before-rights folk.

That is not a shove. If anything, that is a kick. The foot connects with the chest with force. In a shove, the foot would first connect with the body, and then the force would be applied. You should really watch it again, because the foot is NOT on the guy's chest prior to the push.

If he was told to dance and do back flips and he didn't do back flips that's on him. That's my way of saying "you don't kick a detained guy who's told to 'stay down' for simply moving into a sitting position from a laying one, on a sidewalk".

Agree with the OP. Rights, enabled to restrict government and its workers through our constitution and laws, are in place to protect its citizens from exactly what happens in this video. If our police forces infringe on these rights than that is an infringement on the basis of our country. Just because they are cops does not mean they have any more rights than we as citizens do. The fact that most of the posters condone this type of behaviour is ridiculous. The perp will be punished through the judicial system, if in fact he is guilty, and face penalties that are necessary. But if everyone is in favour of extra punishment through excessive force to help society run smoother and get those 'scumbags' off the streets; I recommend moving Iran or another Sharia law based country - sounds like a utopia for the security-before-rights folk.

I think the thread title is a little over the top. This guy wasn't beaten, he was kicked once. But that being said, I don't see how we can all make a final judgement based on less than a few seconds of footage. i

Here lies part of the problem. The judicial system has time and time again let these people back out on the street to continue doing what they're doing. I used to own a small business in Langley and had the same guy over and over again break in my place and other places in the complex, and multiple times assault other employees and owners. Finally one owner who was sick of seeing him get arrested time and time again only to come back had had enough and beat the thief into unconsciousness.

I watched it again...twice. The part I bolded is exactly what it looks like. The cop put his leg out to the guys chest and then the force is applied. There was nothing forceful about the action until his foot was well at the guys chest.

And if he's told to stay down and doesn't stay down a cop would and should absolutely put the guy back down on the sidewalk. It's great that we live in a place where we can say 'oh hey guys he's just sitting up it's no big deal" but the reality is it is a big deal if he's been detained and is told to do something and doesn't.

T'was a shove...not a boot to the chest. Unless they somehow slowed the video quite a bit until the point of contact and then decided to speed it up...but I highly doubt that...in fact given the "reporting" I would think they would do the opposite.

Really? I see the suspect reacting to the contact instantly, as expected to a force. His body shifts back, his head moves forward and suddenly back, and he falls over to his left, while the "shove" was directly backward. The reaction to the contact is instant, if he was shoved it wouldn't be. I'm not saying the suspect got booted like a soccer ball, but I cannot for the life of me see a shove there.

And he is down. Does he need to be more down? Does he need to be more handcuffed? He is a detained suspect posing no threat. I don't see any reason for physical contact at all, but that's neither here nor there. Sitting up is still being down.

Yeah really. If I put my hands on you there is contact and you may shift because of it but I wouldn't say I'm hitting you. Then the shove comes in. You ever have somebody put there hands on you when you're hammered? Usually there tends to be a physical over reaction. Having said that though I didn't see that in the video at all.

And no he is not down the way he was obviously told to be down. If he was told to stay down and he starts to sit up he is in the wrong and should be put back down to where he was told to be. Sitting up when being told not to is not still being down how he was told to be. Believe it or not there are different versions of being "down" and there are reasons why the cops would want him laying down as opposed to sitting up.

Quite honestly I think some people just want to be against the cops no matter what. That's no better than the people that say anything goes and the cops can do whatever they like which is what cooker incorrectly compared people to in this thread. I don't know if it's an authority thing or what.

I'm sorry I simple don't see this how you're describing it. I think much like what the OP implied you're also exaggerating what has happened. I did say earlier that I thought this could have been more gentle (or rather I said it wasn't gentle) but this is also a reaction to somebody doing something they were told not to do. He got up when he was told not to...and he was put back down in what may be slightly excessive but certainly not extreme or dangerous. Excessive really is a loaded word...covers a real spectrum don't you think?

They weren't thugs they were cops and he was getting up when he was not supposed to and was then put back down. It wasn't extreme at all. There were no lashings, there were no boots to the neck...you're a prime example of what I was just talking about to Satan's evil twin.

You're reaction to this is more extreme than the actual action.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, as we can't even agree on the video we both watched.

I'll say this though, if you think I just want to be against cops no matter what, you're off base. While I am highly critical and outspoken about what I see as police injustice, there is nothing I'd love more than to trust and depend on the police. I am not against the police, just the members that make up the majority of uniforms.

Defending oneself from an attack is a little different than a non-threathening, handcuffed, sitting man. We enable the police the power to protect us, not use excessive and unnecessary force on us when they so choose. The police did their job right up until that point. And this is not just an isolated incident, I've personally seen excessive, unnecessary force being used and there's no bigger helpless feeling. If we condone it on one, we enable it to happen time and time again.

I dont really see anything wrong with this. You know why this is a story? Because someone on CBC caught it on their phone, hear them keep saying the word 'exclusive?' Its because they have the video and no one else does haha. People are saying that if a person did that do a cop blah blah blah. Well when would be be arresting a cop for something, and him not listening to us? The context is completely different, its not like he just came up to a random man and kicked him in the chest. They arrested the guy, he was lipping off to them, they told him to stay down and he (maybe even repeatedly - the video doesnt show how many times) kicks/pushes him back down from the chest. Thats how I see it, sure it probably wasn't necessary, but certainly not assault or whatever people are calling it.

He can be a victim and a perpetrator at the same time. He wasn't... right up to the point the pig in plain clothes kicked him in the chest. Sorry, extended his leg to keep a sitting man down.

If you don't want to see criminals portrayed as victims, don't brush of police overstepping their purpose or it will keep happening. This is Canada, where an apprehended criminal has rights, including presumption of innocence and the right to not be assaulted arbitrarily.

This cop and everyone around him should lose their jobs and face criminal prosecution. Maybe they can share a bench with the naked guy.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, as we can't even agree on the video we both watched.

I'll say this though, if you think I just want to be against cops no matter what, you're off base. While I am highly critical and outspoken about what I see as police injustice, there is nothing I'd love more than to trust and depend on the police. I am not against the police, just the members that make up the majority of uniforms.

Archived