Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Matt Gurney: How long does it take to beat a suspect in Vancouver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#31 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yeah really. If I put my hands on you there is contact and you may shift because of it but I wouldn't say I'm hitting you. Then the shove comes in. You ever have somebody put there hands on you when you're hammered? Usually there tends to be a physical over reaction. Having said that though I didn't see that in the video at all.

And no he is not down the way he was obviously told to be down. If he was told to stay down and he starts to sit up he is in the wrong and should be put back down to where he was told to be. Sitting up when being told not to is not still being down how he was told to be. Believe it or not there are different versions of being "down" and there are reasons why the cops would want him laying down as opposed to sitting up.

Quite honestly I think some people just want to be against the cops no matter what. That's no better than the people that say anything goes and the cops can do whatever they like which is what cooker incorrectly compared people to in this thread. I don't know if it's an authority thing or what.

I'm sorry I simple don't see this how you're describing it. I think much like what the OP implied you're also exaggerating what has happened. I did say earlier that I thought this could have been more gentle (or rather I said it wasn't gentle) but this is also a reaction to somebody doing something they were told not to do. He got up when he was told not to...and he was put back down in what may be slightly excessive but certainly not extreme or dangerous. Excessive really is a loaded word...covers a real spectrum don't you think?

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, as we can't even agree on the video we both watched.

I'll say this though, if you think I just want to be against cops no matter what, you're off base. While I am highly critical and outspoken about what I see as police injustice, there is nothing I'd love more than to trust and depend on the police. I am not against the police, just the members that make up the majority of uniforms.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#32 Cooker

Cooker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

They weren't thugs they were cops and he was getting up when he was not supposed to and was then put back down. It wasn't extreme at all. There were no lashings, there were no boots to the neck...you're a prime example of what I was just talking about to Satan's evil twin.

You're reaction to this is more extreme than the actual action.

My reaction, posting disapproval on an internet forum is more extreme than a boot to the neck on a restrained, non-threatening individual...Interesting.

#33 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

My reaction, posting disapproval on an internet forum is more extreme than a boot to the neck on a restrained, non-threatening individual...Interesting.

So now you've reached to obviously misinterpreting what I said and choosing to ignore certain words.

I said your reaction was more extreme than the action. And it still is because you're still making things up. He was doing what he was told not to do...he was also never kicked in the neck. Obviously being kicked is up for debate but those things you're simply fabricating to make some point.

It's not interesting at all...it's a sad and desperate attempt at I dunno...speaking out...being anti-establishment... Certainly has nothing to do with actual justice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

looked like he was trying to have a go @ the cop. more of a friendly hey sit down tap. lol

#35 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, as we can't even agree on the video we both watched.

I'll say this though, if you think I just want to be against cops no matter what, you're off base. While I am highly critical and outspoken about what I see as police injustice, there is nothing I'd love more than to trust and depend on the police. I am not against the police, just the members that make up the majority of uniforms.

Yeah we simply have different interpretations of this and possible different definitions of certain things.

Also I'm sorry if I implied that or you felt I implied that about you. That wasn't my intention...others in this thread...yeah seemingly that is probably the case. In any case my apologies for not being very clear on that one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Looked like a dive.

#37 red&white

red&white

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Defending oneself from an attack is a little different than a non-threathening, handcuffed, sitting man. We enable the police the power to protect us, not use excessive and unnecessary force on us when they so choose. The police did their job right up until that point. And this is not just an isolated incident, I've personally seen excessive, unnecessary force being used and there's no bigger helpless feeling. If we condone it on one, we enable it to happen time and time again.

That's not really the point I was making. I'm not going to make a final judgement on these cops based on 6 seconds of video. I was talking about the judicial system. These petty crooks know nothing will happen to them so they continue to keep committing the same crimes. The owner I was referring to wasn't really defending himself. He caught the thief red handed, followed to the back of the building and basically mauled him. If the judicial system keeps returning these people to the streets to keep doing what they do, vigilantism will continue as well. In the example I explained, being a vigilante has worked seeing as the same guy who kept coming back finally stopped after getting the holy hell beaten out of him

#38 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

I dont really see anything wrong with this. You know why this is a story? Because someone on CBC caught it on their phone, hear them keep saying the word 'exclusive?' Its because they have the video and no one else does haha. People are saying that if a person did that do a cop blah blah blah. Well when would be be arresting a cop for something, and him not listening to us? The context is completely different, its not like he just came up to a random man and kicked him in the chest. They arrested the guy, he was lipping off to them, they told him to stay down and he (maybe even repeatedly - the video doesnt show how many times) kicks/pushes him back down from the chest. Thats how I see it, sure it probably wasn't necessary, but certainly not assault or whatever people are calling it.

No videos in sig please. 

#39 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

He can be a victim and a perpetrator at the same time. He wasn't... right up to the point the pig in plain clothes kicked him in the chest. Sorry, extended his leg to keep a sitting man down.

If you don't want to see criminals portrayed as victims, don't brush of police overstepping their purpose or it will keep happening. This is Canada, where an apprehended criminal has rights, including presumption of innocence and the right to not be assaulted arbitrarily.

This cop and everyone around him should lose their jobs and face criminal prosecution. Maybe they can share a bench with the naked guy.

lose their jobs? HAHAHAHA. You have a few worthy points but they are overshadowed by the fact that you are clearly an impartial cop-hater, who sits on the edge of his seat waiting to call foul on any sort of alleged police misconduct. Shame on you.
Posted Image

#40 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Your last line alone highlights your disdain for the idea of law enforcement, and in particular, all members of said enforcers.

Where is this "majority" number that you are basing your opinion on?

#41 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Your last line alone highlights your disdain for the idea of law enforcement, and in particular, all members of said enforcers.

Where is this "majority" number that you are basing your opinion on?

Forgive me for not linking to the slew of news stories of police corruption and abuse. To suggest my wording shows anything of the like you propose is hilarious though. I do not propose majority of cops engage in bad behavior, I am, however, including the silent majority who see their fellow cops overstep their boundaries.

I believe police should represent the best in our society, and should be held to the highest standards. I believe police should be citizen's first defense against criminals, not government's first defense against the people.

I'll leave you with these courtesy of NYPD,

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 19 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.