Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

I hope there will be a lockout...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I need my hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Unless they put the giants on sportsnet and tsn
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#32 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

I can tell you thought this through.

30 existing teams, 2 teams merge into 1 = 29 teams.

2 even conferences of 14 teams does not equal 29, regardless of where the Wings play.

I meant league contraction (made smaller) not team merger, dude. Nowhere did I suggest that 2 teams merge.

Sorry if I confused you. :)

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#33 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sure how this is any different than what I said before except that you added that owners save money.

I agree with everything you have said, dude.

My point was that I don't see why we need a to lockout fixe the issues you mentioned (didn't elaborate enough), not suggesting you said we need a lockout but you did suggest it would cause some urgency to the negotiations (which yes it would). But have heard that alot in the media etc and my point is its unecessary, urgency is not needed, owners need to get their heads out of their butts since it's their issue.

Edited by ABurrows14, 18 August 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#34 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I hope there's a lockout every year. That way, we could get all the first overall picks. Plus, there'd be no salary cap so we could keep them all past their ELCs.

We'd be the most dominant team ever.

zuhwS.gif

#35 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

So we have a chance at getting the 1st overall draft pick through a draw and draft the next Crosby.

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#36 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,257 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

http://forum.canucks...lockout-thread/

307mg00.jpg

#37 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

there is not enough facepalms in the world...
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#38 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

True hockey fans NEVER hope for a lockout. Some of us will die waiting for hockey (me).

I never thought I'd say this but.... I might actually enjoy watching a cougars game...

#39 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

My point was that I don't see why we need a to lockout fixe the issues you mentioned (didn't elaborate enough), not suggesting you said we need a lockout but you did suggest it would cause some urgency to the negotiations (which yes it would). But have heard that alot in the media etc and my point is its unecessary, urgency is not needed, owners need to get their heads out of their butts since it's their issue.

If there is no urgency, the players will be locked out, for sure. There is less than 4 weeks to reach an agreement or, as Buttman said, the players will be locked out.

Once there's a lockout, the owners hold all the cards. The sooner this is settled, the better it will play out for the players and fans. A lengthy lockout favors the owners.

#40 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

i want the system fixed properly, not just for a few years but permanently. if the owners are really serious about continuing the growth of hockey, they will play on until a new cba is reached....a lock out will not solve the problems...that's just one side flexing their muscles....

#41 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I never thought I'd say this but.... I might actually enjoy watching a cougars game...

I bet you like the cougars ;)

#42 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

I might join you .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#43 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

If there is no urgency, the players will be locked out, for sure. There is less than 4 weeks to reach an agreement or, as Buttman said, the players will be locked out.

Once there's a lockout, the owners hold all the cards. The sooner this is settled, the better it will play out for the players and fans. A lengthy lockout favors the owners.

The owners already hold the cards and are the cause of the issues. A lockout doesn't change that, all it does is forces the players to feel the pain of losing a year of salary, aging a year (which for a player is very important, if you're old, well maybe you're done, if you're young, you lose a year of development, etc)...

A lockout does anything to improve the speed of an agreement, the speed of finding an agreement is already in the owners hands, what it does do is screw the players and fans, until the players just capitulate.

#44 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

So we have a chance at getting the 1st overall draft pick through a draw and draft the next Crosby.

Did you ever think think that we have as a good of a chance of drafting 30th as well!!

A lockout doesn't have to be an entire season, mpt. It could well be much shorter, although there is certainly no guarantee of this. What it does is it puts pressure on both sides to bargain collectively.

I'm not sure how a lockout would be terrible for the game. In my eyes, it would be good because it forces both sides to deal with issues that are hurting the game now like huge contracts, revenue sharing and cap floor.

We had 2 lockouts under Gary Bettmen so far, and you think it doesn't hurt the game? Before Bettmen took over the league Hockey was one of highest sports to watch in North America, but not now.
Imo as long as Bettmen and his cronies are running this league you will always have lockouts in the future. Wasn't the salary cap suppose to curb the last problem? You here the same complaints from Bettmen and the owners on every lockout! Here is another catch you may not know about. You can have 22 owners and Gm who may not agree to a lockout but all Gary would need is 8 Owners to agree with him.
If you had a manager mismanged your Business would you still keep him?

#45 Monadal

Monadal

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

I meant league contraction (made smaller) not team merger, dude. Nowhere did I suggest that 2 teams merge.

Sorry if I confused you. :)

Apologize for my misunderstanding of the term contraction, also posted the same in the edit of my original post.

But other than making the math easier for scheduling how often we play other teams, whats the benefit of this?

The number of teams in the league, imo, is not the problem. The location of some of those teams are. I'm not sure how relevant the Mowat centre research is today, as its a few years old, at the time Canadian clubs made up a 3rd of NHL revenue, with 1/5th of the teams (pre-jets).

Removing 2 clubs removes their potential revenue. League revenue drops. Bettman gets crankier.

IF you move the clubs to more reasonable locations revenues rise, caps increase.

If the sport is growing across North America as revenue suggests since the lockout, removing teams doesn't seem like the logical way to make more money. Revenue is up in areas where having a team make sense. Having a team in Glendale, still doesn't make sense. Having it in Quebec or elsewhere with the infastructure and support makes sense.

Bettmen (and perhaps the board of owners) want teams in places like pheonix and then expect the players to finance it. The stability of the league wouldn't be in question if those teams that aren't cutting it were moved to better markets.

Owners/GMs of the profitable teams canabalize the less profitable teams - eg. the Weber situation. Make the contracts what they are. And then say "we need help to manage this", you all need less money. Nashville will be an unstable market. Is that the NHLPA's fault?

#46 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

The owners already hold the cards and are the cause of the issues. A lockout doesn't change that, all it does is forces the players to feel the pain of losing a year of salary, aging a year (which for a player is very important, if you're old, well maybe you're done, if you're young, you lose a year of development, etc)...

A lockout does anything to improve the speed of an agreement, the speed of finding an agreement is already in the owners hands, what it does do is screw the players and fans, until the players just capitulate.

This is exactly why I am saying urgency is important and why I said a short lockout would be best, if there were one. I obviously didn't explain myself very well, dude. My apologies.

4 weeks to solve and agree to all the issues or there won't be NHL Hockey for a long time, methinks.

#47 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

The only thing that would make a lockout worth it is if Bettman gets fired cause of it

People need to get over this idea that Bettman being let go will somehow magically cure all that ails the league.

He was hired by the owners and he does their bidding. If he goes, they'll just replace him with someone cut from the same cloth.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#48 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

ibtl

Posted Image

#49 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

People need to get over this idea that Bettman being let go will somehow magically cure all that ails the league.

He was hired by the owners and he does their bidding. If he goes, they'll just replace him with someone cut from the same cloth.

Agreed.

It is the #1 evidence for stupid around here.

If Bettman were replaced we would be saying........'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Agreed.

It is the #1 evidence for stupid around here.

If Bettman were replaced we would be saying........'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'

Yep.

I won't get fooled again.....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#51 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yep.

I won't get fooled again.....

Posted Image
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#52 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,082 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.