The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran moves to legalize marriage for girls under 10 years old

Satan's Evil Twin

Disgusting seems to be the most appropriate word to describe this, so I'll go with it, although there are far worse words floating around my brain right now.

And, since when have you ever heard (except in extreme cases) of a girl going through puberty at age 9? 9? Really? And boys go through puberty at 15? Although it was a long time ago for me, I can remember grades 5, 6, 7 etc, and I can tell you there really wasn't that much difference between when boys and girls go through puberty, certainly not 6 years difference...

Is this true? Seriously. I remember there were a couple of fake news stories circulating a while back, one of them was saying Egyptian group rallying to allow Muslim men to sleep with their dead wives (again, was a fake news story).

Just some nitpicky corrections. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6. It was at 9 that he first had sex with her. It's also not in the Quran, but the hadiths, books of sayings and actions of Muhammad, which are considered very important by most Muslims. Stuff like this shows how dangerous it can be to consider Muhammad a timeless example for all Muslims to follow.

Just some nitpicky corrections. Muhammad married Aisha when she was 6. It was at 9 that he first had sex with her. It's also not in the Quran, but the hadiths, books of sayings and actions of Muhammad, which are considered very important by most Muslims. Stuff like this shows how dangerous it can be to consider Muhammad a timeless example for all Muslims to follow.

This is a redundant question that there are dozens of explanations for. The truest I have heard - though not as fulfilling as some others - is that marriage was looked at differently in the society in which the Prophet (saws) lived. If you really want to understand, I think it helps to look at collective vs. Individualistic cultures. Individualistic societies (which ours largely is) tend to focus on individuality, allow for extreme levels of uniqueness and creativity, and allow people to tread their own paths. Hence, marriage becomes about love, lust, and all the rest. Collective societies, which most Islamic societies tended to be, focus on how the individual fit into the larger context of stability. Marriages tend to focus on stability and 'logic-seeming' compatibility. I would wonder at someone in a society like America who lusts after a 9 year old girl, but probably not at a tribal person in Yemen who wants to marry a young girl. The reasons for marriage are different.

Understand WHAT situation? They are trying to legalize marriages to girls under 10 F***ing years old...what is not to understand about this? If you defend this in any way, you ARE defending pedophilia. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Where are the Christians to defend religious freedoms? "Hey guys, like, be respectful, mmmkay?" Yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of that.

It's a terrible situation. Even if the story is not entirely true, it is close enough that it still carries a lot of weight. Children are being married off, all over the world. We only have to look in our own backyard to find an example in the Bountiful community.

And as another aside, can anyone STILL claim that religion is the source of all morality, and that those without it are incapable of making moral choices?

Where are the Christians to defend religious freedoms? "Hey guys, like, be respectful, mmmkay?" Yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of that.

It's a terrible situation. Even if the story is not entirely true, it is close enough that it still carries a lot of weight. Children are being married off, all over the world. We only have to look in our own backyard to find an example in the Bountiful community.

And as another aside, can anyone STILL claim that religion is the source of all morality, and that those without it are incapable of making moral choices?

Archived