The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran moves to legalize marriage for girls under 10 years old

Satan's Evil Twin

I tend to disagree with that premise, actually. Not that religion can't make good people do evil things, but that it hardly has a monopoly on it. Extreme nationalism, herd mentality, ignorance, self-preservation, etc. all can make good people do evil things in the complete absence of religion.

The monopolization wasn't offered....just the qualification that religion was required.

Although, the term martyr is a primarily a religious one. Do you hear of the term martyr given for self-sacrifice because of nationalism?

What is 'martyrdom' generally associated with?

That's a really good question, honestly.

I don't think it's upon a Muslim to reinact the Prophet's life as much as it is to follow his examples, because we won't be able to. Just because Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was able to marry Aisha (ra) at age 6, doesn't mean I marry a girl named Aisha at age 6. Following his example would be getting married to a spouse when both parties are able, and to maintain a healthy relationship.

That's a really good question, honestly.

I don't think it's upon a Muslim to reinact the Prophet's life as much as it is to follow his examples, because we won't be able to. Just because Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was able to marry Aisha (ra) at age 6, doesn't mean I marry a girl named Aisha at age 6. Following his example would be getting married to a spouse when both parties are able, and to maintain a healthy relationship.

BTW, I'll ask this question around, so if I said anything wrong in terms of my religion I'll change it.

The statement definitely implies that religion is the only thing that will make a good person do evil things.

Primarily religious, yes, but not exclusively. Anyone can be a martyr for any cause. For example, Giordano Bruno is known as a "martyr of science". He was burned at the stake by the Roman Inquisition because he refused to renounce his heliocentric views and his opposition to Catholicism.

The statement definitely implies that religion is the only thing that will make a good person do evil things.

Primarily religious, yes, but not exclusively. Anyone can be a martyr for any cause. For example, Giordano Bruno is known as a "martyr of science". He was burned at the stake by the Roman Inquisition because he refused to renounce his heliocentric views and his opposition to Catholicism.

Just because people use a 'turn of phrase' doesn't mean that the definition of the main word or phrase is met to the definition's primary meaning.

There is no 'martyr' of science, because science is neither a religious ideal nor a principle or ideal, but is rather "knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through the scientific method and concerned with the physical world and its phenomena".

To re-enact his life in that regard, I would need a recommendation from a woman, an angelic induced dream, a willing 6 year old akin to Aisha (ra), I would need myself to be perfect enough to be a Prophet, amongst other conditions. That's not what it means. His example was to marry - marriage is a sunnah.

You asked if the term was given for non-religious examples, not if it met your definition of martyrdom. Regardless of whether or not science is the proper attribution to his martyrdom, Giordano Bruno definitely sacrificed himself for non-religious ideals (or, more specifically, opposing a religion).

Archived