The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran moves to legalize marriage for girls under 10 years old

Satan's Evil Twin

I agree, and it's the image I have in mind when these ultra vocal "spend my day talking about religion and heavy metal" dudes externalize their bitterness on this forum. The image, accurate or not (I don't care), neuters their posts completely, and the "satanic" imagery that book ends all of their posts (avatar, sig, etc.) acts as the icing on the sterile cake.

I agree, and it's the image I have in mind when these ultra vocal "spend my day talking about religion and heavy metal" dudes externalize their bitterness on this forum. The image, accurate or not (I don't care), neuters their posts completely, and the "satanic" imagery that book ends all of their posts (avatar, sig, etc.) acts as the icing on the sterile cake.

This is the kind of complacent attitude that I absolutely cannot stand. You're essentially saying that even though there's an incredible violation of human rights and more specifically the rights of underage children we shouldn't concern ourselves with it? I'd had more respect for you coming out and defending it than making this kind of comment. I'd still think you were a sick bastard, but at least I'd know where you stand. As it is, you've taken the indifference stance, and that's even more dangerous thinking.

Well, he has a point. What are you going to do about it? Nothing. What could you do about it? Also nothing. It's understandable why this rustles your jimmies, and other people too, of course. However, as he said there's nothing you can do to change this so there's no real point of getting worked up over it.

Have to disagree. That's just a cop out for the non-religious. Good and evil is in every human. The choice of which way to go has little to do with religion. Lots of "good" people do horrible things in certain circumstances.

This is just another case of pointing a finger at an identifiable group to make oneself feel superior. Pretty much what I said before.

You're certainly free to disagree if you'd like. I don't believe it's a 'cop-out'. Weinberg's point is exactly that. The choice of which way to go, morally, has nothing to do with religion, as we have 'good' and 'evil' in us all. When we do good things, we are good people....and that goodness resulted from the wellspring of goodness inherently within us. When we do evil things, we are evil people....and that evilness resulted from the wellspring of evilness inherently within us.

However, as Weinberg notes, that when people do things, let's say, persecute gays, assassinate doctors and bomb abortion clinics, ram fully loaded and fully fueled jumbo jets into office buildings, marry 9 year olds in order to have sexual relations with them, persecute women for being possessed by demons or the devil for being outspoken and independent, or whatever else they deem her to meet the standards of witchcraft over the years, chop off the tips of little boys' penises, chop off bits of genitalia off little girls, and many other things we would normally call 'evil', and do it because they believe it is 'good' and 'right' and 'righteous' then it can, among other things, require a set of beliefs and dogma that a person truly believes has come from a true divine source.....aka religion, in order to commit those evil acts.

That's not a cop out at all, it's unvarnished reality.

Archived