Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

POPULAR

METRO VANCOUVER — The buzz continues to escalate throughout the Fraser Valley real estate community that Francesco Aquilini has his sights on buying the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre and the land it occupies. By extension, Aquilini would cut a deal with the Calgary Flames that would result in the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 farm team, the Chicago Wolves, switched to Abbotsford.

Calgary’s American Hockey League affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — are locked into a 10-year supply fee agreement with the City of Abbotsford and after three years, it’s been a disaster. The Heat played four post-season games this season in their home building that can accommodate 7,046 fans for hockey and drew an average of 2,389.

There is a hockey board meeting scheduled for Sept. 7 at 2 p.m. in Abbotsford. Ken King, president of the Calgary Flames, will be there. Lane Sweeting, chairman of Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment as well as Abbotsford Heat Hockey Ltd., says that while he has not been told anything by the city about a potential Aquilini takeover, it would not surprise him. Aquilini did not respond to messages left for him Friday

http://www.vancouver...html?id=7108799

Edited by Pekka Rinne, 18 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#2 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

I think most saw this coming. This is long overdue.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#3 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

This would be great! Then the Canucks prospects are just a short drive from Rogers Arena if they are called up instead of a 4 hr plane ride!

This would be a very good move for the Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 dinga

dinga

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

POPULAR

I think more fans would go catch a game knowing the team is part of the Canucks organization. I really think it would be a great move for both organizations.

#5 smith80

smith80

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

POPULAR

The Heat and the AESC are losing a lot of money. Over 2 million a year, in fact.

I have thought for some time that it was a terrible move to not only move Calgary's farm team into this area, but, to call them the Heat, and have them wear basically the same uniforms, and even have the same goal horn, as the Flames. Any other team with any other logo and uniform would have done fine, IMO.

I live about a 3 minute walk from AESC, and have never gotten into the Heat despite it being an affordable option that's far closer to my home than any other. I have been to many games, but, find myself cheering for the opposition most of the time. Sad,and maybe even unfair on my part, but, I have been raised to hate the Flames, and no matter what, I always will..
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Our prospects will have more travel than any other in the NHL, one of the leading factors that negatively impacts development. Not to mention getting thrown in the fish bowl early, which has been known to destroy player's development.

As an Abbotsford resident, on the other hand, it would certainly be great for me and my city.
Posted Image

#7 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Would they be able to complete the move in time for the 2012-13 season (ignoring the possibility of a lockout)?

Posted Image

#8 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

If the Canucks bought the heat, it would be a great deal for both teams. Abbotsford's attendance would skyrocket. Only question is, would playing in the Fraser Valley put too much pressure on the prospects? If the deal gets done, I will definitely go to a game when I want some cheaper Canucks entertainment.

Edited by etsen3, 18 August 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#9 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

what a great move this would be. my parents are heat season ticket owners... if the team changed hands and affiliations, those would be so much more valuable to me :bigblush:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

This would be a great move by Aquilini, that dude must have some serious cash. I don't know if the Flames are in support of having their farm team moved all the way out to Chicago. I'd make the treck for some heat games for sure.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,851 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Would they be able to complete the move in time for the 2012-13 season (ignoring the possibility of a lockout)?

The lockout wouldn't affect the AHL, though, would it? That'd mean Canucks fans would have hockey to watch with players they like to follow in the event of a lockout. So long as the whole organizations would swap (location, logos, affiliation, players, coaches, etc) they'd have sellouts every home game while the NHL twiddles it's thumbs

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#12 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

hmmmmm would this hurt rogers arena attendance
- half the people at rogers arena are fair weather fans, eating sushi, drinking coffee and texting on the phone

i can see the fans in abby being loud beer drinking hockey crazed fans

it wont hurt attendance but it might just be a better crowd

Edited by shawn antoski, 18 August 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#13 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

This is great news for Canucks fans. Chicago is way too far and I kinda felt not as close to our prospects since they moved from the Peg. Weird but its true.

I would love to get a chance to go watch a few games a year to see our prospects in Abbotsford.

#14 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

What would they call them?

I dont think they can remain as the Heat, with their name and colours being directly related to the Flames

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#15 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Our prospects will have more travel than any other in the NHL, one of the leading factors that negatively impacts development. Not to mention getting thrown in the fish bowl early, which has been known to destroy player's development.

As an Abbotsford resident, on the other hand, it would certainly be great for me and my city.

I disagree, I believe that it's good if they are experiencing the extra traveling now rather than having to adapt to the transition when they get called up to the Canucks. The Canucks do more traveling than any other hockey club in the NHL, so to get that experience in now makes it that much easier come time when they start playing for the Vancouver Canucks.

Edited by Danthecanucksfan, 18 August 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#16 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

This would be a great move. I know Canucks fans would fill the building in Abbotsford to see our future prospects.

#17 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

POPULAR

Our NHL team has the worst travel already. Getting used to it early might make the jump up to the big club easier. Same with the media; the time to get used to it is not when a prospect has played a couple games and has gone pointless.

The proximity to Vancouver enables them to have easier access to the Canucks' resources, which should help with their development.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#18 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

About time.

Funny how a year ago everyone with the Heat was putting a brave face on it but money always talks loudest. No doubt in my mind that a Nuck farm team in the valley would rake in the dough.

No issue with it hurting the big club. Totally different crowd. Some diehards but most are there just to be seen. Canucks priced me out long time ago but I would check out the farmhands few times a year.

#19 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hope this happens. I already go see some Heat games, but I would definitely feel more comfortable cheering for our own prospects!

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#20 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

great news
Posted Image

#21 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

pros

prospects close by
management able to keep watchful eye on development
prospects involved in more organization functions
prospect can start deep roots within the community- family / charity
fans are able to watch prospect more often
attendance and profits will rise for Heat Organization
get to live near a world class city
mild winters
cons

lots of travel for prospects
prospects in constant eye of fans and management
Vancouver media
CDC ..........lol
lots of rain
expensive city (vancouver)

add to the list if u can think of any

Edited by mabbott, 18 August 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#22 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

POPULAR

What would they call them?

I dont think they can remain as the Heat, with their name and colours being directly related to the Flames

well the canucks did purchase the rights for the millionaires and have done nothing with them.

#23 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

About time.

Funny how a year ago everyone with the Heat was putting a brave face on it but money always talks loudest. No doubt in my mind that a Nuck farm team in the valley would rake in the dough.

No issue with it hurting the big club. Totally different crowd. Some diehards but most are there just to be seen. Canucks priced me out long time ago but I would check out the farmhands few times a year.

exactly

and some people cant afford to go to canucks games too much

so theres still a crowd for them , screw all that fishbowl stuff , they would be fine and they get to deal with something they have to deal with eventually which is the fans and the media
Posted Image

#24 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

expensive city (vancouver)

add to the list if u can think of any

I don't know how Vancouver being expensive would effect them?

They would be living in Abbotsford and apartments are not as expensive here.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

That place will be near capacity , smart move by ownership.

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 18 August 2012 - 12:57 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#26 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

well the canucks did purchase the rights for the millionaires and have done nothing with them.

Abbotsford Millionaires eh?

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#27 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

i love having an owner committed to winning and spending cash, hope he can get this done.

#28 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

The lockout wouldn't affect the AHL, though, would it? That'd mean Canucks fans would have hockey to watch with players they like to follow in the event of a lockout. So long as the whole organizations would swap (location, logos, affiliation, players, coaches, etc) they'd have sellouts every home game while the NHL twiddles it's thumbs

Ignoring the lockout as in...if the season were to start on time, would they be able to complete the move in less than a month.

Edited by Opmac, 18 August 2012 - 01:09 PM.

Posted Image

#29 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't know why every professional team WOULDN'T have their farm team close-by... It's silly not to, really!

#30 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I don't know why every professional team WOULDN'T have their farm team close-by... It's silly not to, really!

It is kinda silly for the Canucks to have their affiliate in Abbotsford since its not near most cities that the NHL and AHL team plays in. Taxing for the players and difficult when an emergency situation arises.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.