The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

Alex the Great

METRO VANCOUVER — The buzz continues to escalate throughout the Fraser Valley real estate community that Francesco Aquilini has his sights on buying the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre and the land it occupies. By extension, Aquilini would cut a deal with the Calgary Flames that would result in the Vancouver Canucks’ No. 1 farm team, the Chicago Wolves, switched to Abbotsford.

Calgary’s American Hockey League affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — are locked into a 10-year supply fee agreement with the City of Abbotsford and after three years, it’s been a disaster. The Heat played four post-season games this season in their home building that can accommodate 7,046 fans for hockey and drew an average of 2,389.

There is a hockey board meeting scheduled for Sept. 7 at 2 p.m. in Abbotsford. Ken King, president of the Calgary Flames, will be there. Lane Sweeting, chairman of Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment as well as Abbotsford Heat Hockey Ltd., says that while he has not been told anything by the city about a potential Aquilini takeover, it would not surprise him. Aquilini did not respond to messages left for him Friday

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/business/story.html?id=7108799

The Heat and the AESC are losing a lot of money. Over 2 million a year, in fact.

I have thought for some time that it was a terrible move to not only move Calgary's farm team into this area, but, to call them the Heat, and have them wear basically the same uniforms, and even have the same goal horn, as the Flames. Any other team with any other logo and uniform would have done fine, IMO.

I live about a 3 minute walk from AESC, and have never gotten into the Heat despite it being an affordable option that's far closer to my home than any other. I have been to many games, but, find myself cheering for the opposition most of the time. Sad,and maybe even unfair on my part, but, I have been raised to hate the Flames, and no matter what, I always will..

Our prospects will have more travel than any other in the NHL, one of the leading factors that negatively impacts development. Not to mention getting thrown in the fish bowl early, which has been known to destroy player's development.

As an Abbotsford resident, on the other hand, it would certainly be great for me and my city.

If the Canucks bought the heat, it would be a great deal for both teams. Abbotsford's attendance would skyrocket. Only question is, would playing in the Fraser Valley put too much pressure on the prospects? If the deal gets done, I will definitely go to a game when I want some cheaper Canucks entertainment.

hmmmmm would this hurt rogers arena attendance

- half the people at rogers arena are fair weather fans, eating sushi, drinking coffee and texting on the phone

i can see the fans in abby being loud beer drinking hockey crazed fans

it wont hurt attendance but it might just be a better crowd

This is great news for Canucks fans. Chicago is way too far and I kinda felt not as close to our prospects since they moved from the Peg. Weird but its true.

I would love to get a chance to go watch a few games a year to see our prospects in Abbotsford.

Our prospects will have more travel than any other in the NHL, one of the leading factors that negatively impacts development. Not to mention getting thrown in the fish bowl early, which has been known to destroy player's development.

As an Abbotsford resident, on the other hand, it would certainly be great for me and my city.

About time.

Funny how a year ago everyone with the Heat was putting a brave face on it but money always talks loudest. No doubt in my mind that a Nuck farm team in the valley would rake in the dough.

No issue with it hurting the big club. Totally different crowd. Some diehards but most are there just to be seen. Canucks priced me out long time ago but I would check out the farmhands few times a year.

Archived