The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

Alex the Great

kinda curious why people keep saying the Heat play badly when they've made it to the Calder Cup playoffs 2 years out of 3...granted they haven't got beyond the 2nd round so far but still...can't be that bad if they're winning games and getting to the playoffs can they? (Or is is just that they're the Flames farm team so they can't possibly play good hockey!! :shock: )

Much as I'd like to see the Canucks farm team in Abby (especially as I'm an Abby tax-payer!), I can't see it happening. This rumour has surfaced before...

http://abbydaily.com/community-news/updated-with-photos-rumours-swirl-canucks-farm-team-headed-to-abbotsford/

...and will probably surface again next year, and the year after, and the one after that!

What galls me is the audacity and the cojones that the Calgary Flames had to stick their stupid Flamelets in the middle of enemy territory. The only reason Vancouver went into Chicago's territory to affiliate with the Wolves was because it was the only choice left open to us at the time. Given the choice the Nucks, I'm sure, would have preferred to pick a team not located in Blackhawk country.

kinda curious why people keep saying the Heat play badly when they've made it to the Calder Cup playoffs 2 years out of 3...granted they haven't got beyond the 2nd round so far but still...can't be that bad if they're winning games and getting to the playoffs can they? (Or is is just that they're the Flames farm team so they can't possibly play good hockey!! :shock: )

Much as I'd like to see the Canucks farm team in Abby (especially as I'm an Abby tax-payer!), I can't see it happening. This rumour has surfaced before...

http://abbydaily.com...-to-abbotsford/

...and will probably surface again next year, and the year after, and the one after that!

What galls me is the audacity and the cojones that the Calgary Flames had to stick their stupid Flamelets in the middle of enemy territory. The only reason Vancouver went into Chicago's territory to affiliate with the Wolves was because it was the only choice left open to us at the time. Given the choice the Nucks, I'm sure, would have preferred to pick a team not located in Blackhawk country.

It's not the fact that the Heat play badly. It's frankly that a lot of Canucks fans (including me) are pissed off that the Flames had the utter gall to stick their farm team in what they knew was exclusively Canucks fan territory. As a former flatlander who moved out to Vancouver and have cheered the Canucks since they joined the NHL in 1970, I was pretty ticked off at their sheer guts and audacity. I don't like the Flames, and I never will, as long as I draw breath.

If I were an Abby taxpayer like Canucks2379...I'd be asking questions about impropriety with regards to the particulars of the contract. How much $$$ did the counsellors pocket to agree to this piece of horse dung.

Plenty of people have asked questions, and even started legal proceedings to challenge the contract. My frustration (as a someone who gets to pay tax, but can't vote yet GRRRR) is that the voters here pretty much re-elected the whole council that made that decision, just ousting the mayor in the last election! That makes no sense to me when people are supposedly so unhappy with many of the decision they have made over the last few year!

Id love to have any of blackhawks, panthers, wild, wings, preds, sens AHL affiliates in abby as they actually have really good prospects in their system and would be a joy to watch, flames on the other hand dont really have a deep and talented prospect pool as much as the aforementioned teams do. Canucks don't either but they would sell more tickets just because its our teams prospects/future and we can watch them develop.

If the Canucks bought the heat, it would be a great deal for both teams.  Abbotsford's attendance would skyrocket.  Only question is, would playing in the Fraser Valley put too much pressure on the prospects?  If the deal gets done, I will definitely go to a game when I want some cheaper Canucks entertainment.

Archived