The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

Alex the Great

So establishing some roots in the area early on in their careers might be helpful.

We don't really know that do we? It depends if travelling thousands of miles more is helpful.

Their thinking was that Chicago was the only available team.

Fair enough if that was the case but it still saves our prospects a hell of a lot of travelling. They are also well supported in Chicago as I have said.

A Canucks affiliate will draw much better attendance than the Heat currently do.

I don't doubt that. Will they draw more than the Wolves do though?

An Abbotsford affiliate would have all those positive attributes. Poor attendance in Abbotsford is mostly due to the fact that the NHL team associated with the franchise is a rival of the Canucks, in addition to being a terrible hockey team.

You seem to be using our prospects to give a few hockey fans somewhere to go on a Saturday night. Is that really what is best for them though...................By the way do you know who are the Farm team for LA Kings?.................Manchester Monarchs, New Hampshire................I only mention that because it hasn't prevented the Kings from winning the SC. The Ducks affiliate is in New York :)

Kansas City built a 19,000 seat arena in 2007 in hopes of attracting a NHL team as well. Simply building an arena doesn't guarantee the NHL will come.

All I'm saying is that IF Seattle doesn't get a NHL franchise, it would be a perfect opportunity for the AHL to swoop in and start to build geographical balance among its teams.

Not even close Tearloch..............I support a "wee" team at home and I also watched most of the Wolves games on ESPN. During that time (and if you watched the games you will know what I'm talking about ie the between game/period interviews and features) I got an impression of just how the Wolves fans have taken to the Canucks players.

I will not insult you by saying you are incapable of the "purer" argument here because I'm sure you are and you are choosing to ignore it...................I might do the same if I lived in the vicinity................although I doubt it if I had seen the games on ESPN.

Now let's look at your reasoning.

Nearer to coaching? Really? We have just appointed new coaches have we not and I understand they are as close as they would be in BC. I would say the Vancouver Canucks coaches would be too busy to interfere anyway..........or need to be.

Medical Treatment?........Are you serious? I don't think the Chicago medics have a history of making a guy with a fractured back walk off the ice.......................... Sorry, I am exaggerating....................... The truth is Chicago is a world leading medical centre.

Early inclusion into the Community..............I take it that is the same Community who appear on here and rip our own players to shreds. No I don't think thats what they need, do you?

"these fans DESERVE access to these potential players."........No, I'm sorry they don't. The only people to be considered here are the players and they deserve peace to develop without being under the microscope of media publicity and fan rumour and the duplicity shown on these boards.

These Chicago fans have just started to get used to having the Canucks prospects and cheering them and idolising them, I do the same with my small team in Fife with our imports............I was gutted when 2 of them left to go to Italy / back to the states and not just because it was mid season. I understood but it didn't make the parting any easier.

There is a "we want it and we want it now" attitude on here, however as I said I trust the owners to do what is right for the development of the Club. If that means moving up to Abbotsford then so be it, I will feel sorry for all the young and not so young Chicago fans who are getting attached to the Canucks but I'll understand it's being done for more practical reasons than "it's close to Jimmy's house"

I think this could be beneficial to the development of our future Canucks. They will be exposed to the fishbowl, will not be able to slack off, and then get a taste for the travel demands of playing here.

You realize the conversation about distance goes both ways. I live in the Fraser Valley and I won't go out to Canucks games because of traffic/distance/cost of games but do go to a few Heat games a year just to watch good hockey at an affordable option and many people out here feel the same way.

All I know is that if Canuck owners bring in the Canucks prospects to Abbotsford, then I will buy season tickets.

I was a season ticket owner the first year the Heat came year, but we did not renew our tickets because A. the team sucked and B. I would have rather watched the Canucks instead of the Heat.

Now with saying point B, if it were Canucks prospects in Abbotsford and they actually played quality hockey then I would actually go out and watch them.

Dumb question, maybe :)

We don't own all the Wolves players, correct? Would just the ones the Canucks own come out here, and join with the current Abbotsford players? That would leave Calgary just taking their own players somewhere else, and leaving the majority of the current Abby team.

Or, how does it work?

Dumb question, maybe :)

We don't own all the Wolves players, correct? Would just the ones the Canucks own come out here, and join with the current Abbotsford players? That would leave Calgary just taking their own players somewhere else, and leaving the majority of the current Abby team.

Or, how does it work?

Where to begin:

1) These prospects are PROFESSIONAL hockey players and if they canna cut the media pressure in Abbotsford, then they will never make it in the NHL.

Ok but I'm sure they have media pressure in Chicago. Does that fit in with your argument? I mean Chicago is probably bigger than Abbotsford so it's a win win situation.

2) Having access to Canuck facilities, including training and medical staff, is invaluable in there development .. the more input that Canucks coaching staff have in helping teach these players the "system", the greater the chances of success when they do get called up.

Firstly I don't know if history would back that up to any great extent. Take Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan......they were 1000 miles from Anaheim and it didn't stunt their development......or Brown, Doughty, Quick.

3) Since you do not live anywhere close enough to avail yourself of an opportunity to actually see them play, you can still be happy with your ESPN feed while those who can avail themselves of a few or more games will .. have you ever noticed with a TV broadcast game that you actually miss about 50% of what actually goes on in a game? .. I want to SEE how these guys hustle or not .. their body language and sense of "team" play ..

That is true. I agree from a fan's point of view, I already said it might be good for the BC fans............my point concerns the players and the Chicago fans.

4) One year in Chicago does NOT make the Canuck prospects invaluable to the Community .. how many "Wolves" fans thru themselves off bridges when the last version of the Wolves left town? .. hockey players are transient at best.

I only reported what I saw. However again you have a point

The bottom line is, the fans of the Vancouver Canucks do DESERVE access to the potential players for our team, whether you agree or not .. if all you can do is deride Canuck "fans", why do you access these boards and "tilt" as you do? .. as I said, Devils Advocacy is fine, but the hometown fans pay the freight, and Canuck Management will do what is best for those that financially support the Canucks .. that means those who buy the tickets

Tearloch, I am a hockey fan, I have been since the sixties. I happen to have developed a liking for the Vancouver Canucks. That does not mean I have to appreciate a lot of the BS that goes on here.

My point was whether such a move was good for the prospects and the Chicago fans. I never doubted that the BC fans would welcome it or that it would increase the attendance in Abbotsford. However that is NOT the same thing as developing our prospects and what is best for them.

You can come back again but I am leaving it there it is 10-30 pm here and I'm not as young as I used to be and I have to take my dog in early to the vet tomorrow, so you can have the last word.

METRO VANCOUVER — The buzz continues to escalate throughout the Fraser Valley real estate community that Francesco Aquilini has his sights on buying the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre and the land it occupies. By extension, Aquilini would cut a deal with the Calgary Flames that would result in the Vancouver Canucks' No. 1 farm team, the Chicago Wolves, switched to Abbotsford.

Calgary's American Hockey League affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — are locked into a 10-year supply fee agreement with the City of Abbotsford and after three years, it's been a disaster. The Heat played four post-season games this season in their home building that can accommodate 7,046 fans for hockey and drew an average of 2,389.

There is a hockey board meeting scheduled for Sept. 7 at 2 p.m. in Abbotsford. Ken King, president of the Calgary Flames, will be there. Lane Sweeting, chairman of Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment as well as Abbotsford Heat Hockey Ltd., says that while he has not been told anything by the city about a potential Aquilini takeover, it would not surprise him. Aquilini did not respond to messages left for him Friday

http://www.vancouver...html?id=7108799

For the questions about Chicago attendance, They had the second highest attendance in the AHL (7909) and Abbotsford had the second lowest (3545). Certainly, it'd make sense for the health of the Abbotsford franchise to be supporting the Canucks (or almost anyone other than Calgary) and have Chicago supporting almost any team. The Wolves haven't suffered from supporting a big rival of the Blackhawks, so there won't be the negative there and fans will still go. Abbotsford would then at least have similar to the 5000 in attendance they had playing Chicago last year.

I think it's beneficial overall, and would benefit the Canucks in general. I could see a benefit to Calgary having an AHL affiliate with fans that like them. I'm not sure we could say it'd benefit the Wolves, but it wouldn't hurt them.

Archived