Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#151 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

how about abbotsford explorers?

:)

#152 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

how about abbotsford explorers?

:)

Wouldn't Fraser Valley explorers be a better name then

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#153 Vancity87

Vancity87

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Abbotsford Whalers!
Sig too big.

#154 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Fraser Valley 'Nuckleheads !!

It has a nice ring to it.

Yes, I like the sound of it!!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#155 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,990 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

What would they call them?

I dont think they can remain as the Heat, with their name and colours being directly related to the Flames

I'd go back to the moose (see if you can buy it from winnipeg)

#156 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

What would they call them?

I dont think they can remain as the Heat, with their name and colours being directly related to the Flames

Abby Lumberjacks. Use the full Johnny Canuck logo.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#157 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

-
No talks between City of Abbotsford and Canucks: Pizzuto
-

Abbotsford city manager Frank Pizzuto downplayed a Vancouver newspaper report that Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is interested in buying the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre and stationing the Canucks' AHL affiliate there.

He noted the rumour has come up before, but said no talks have taken place.

"It's not on the market," he said, referring to the AESC. "I don't know where that comes from."

Bringing the Canucks' farm team to Abbotsford would make sense on a number of levels. The Heat are affiliated with the Calgary Flames, one of Vancouver's division rivals, and have struggled at the box office over their three-year history. Attendance has dropped each year, from 3,897 to 3,807 to 3,545 last season. But a team linked to the Canucks would be a better draw.

The attendance issues have cost taxpayers, as the Heat have a supply fee agreement with the City of Abbotsford that guarantees the team a break-even budget up to $5.7 million annually. The shortfall was $450,000 in 2009-10, and rose to $1.37 million in 2010-11.

Selling the AESC could also make sense from the city's perspective, in that they could lower the debt load on the facility while also eliminating the annual operating deficit.

The AESC's projected deficit for 2011 is $2.83 million, which includes $1.7 million for building expenses and $1.1 million earmarked to cover the hockey team's financial shortfall for 2011-12. The team's fiscal year ended in June, and the final numbers are expected next month.

But the rumoured transaction would be a complex one. Even if Aquilini were able to strike a deal with the city to buy the arena, he'd have to come to an agreement with the Calgary Flames, the Heat's NHL parent club, and the local operating group, Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment.

The Flames own the franchise, while the FVSE group led by Lane Sweeting holds the AHL board of governors' approval to operate a team in the region.

It's worth noting that the Canucks do not own an AHL franchise, and are heading into the second year of a two-year affiliation agreement with the Chicago Wolves.

"We have a contract with Calgary, and discussions would have to take place between Vancouver and them," Pizzuto noted.

Acquiring a local farm team would further strengthen the Canucks' already-strong brand, while facilitating greater convenience for the team in terms of player recalls and prospect development.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#158 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

The Abby Pre-Canucks

#159 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Abbotsford Moose would be incredible, assuming they could purchase the name and logo from Winnipeg. The Moose had some of if not the best jerseys in the AHL. Seeing that reincarnated locally would be great.

Another option would be to simply call them the Abbotsford Canucks. They had the Hamilton Canucks for a couple of seasons so I don't see why they couldn't do it again.

First choice - Abbotsford Moose.

#160 I Dangled Out Of The Womb

I Dangled Out Of The Womb

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

The name's gotta be the Abbotsford Beavers (with or without the 's' on the end...)
Posted Image

#161 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,990 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Abbotsford Moose would be incredible, assuming they could purchase the name and logo from Winnipeg. The Moose had some of if not the best jerseys in the AHL. Seeing that reincarnated locally would be great.

Another option would be to simply call them the Abbotsford Canucks. They had the Hamilton Canucks for a couple of seasons so I don't see why they couldn't do it again.

First choice - Abbotsford Moose.

absolutely. their last jersey sets were my favorite hockey jerseys from any league. that green jersey? DROOL!

Edited by avelanch, 20 August 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#162 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I hope the Abbotsford counsellors' egos don't get in the way of something like this happening.

Posted Image

#163 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Wouldn't Fraser Valley explorers be a better name then

lemme add another one...

abbottsford taurus....

#164 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

This would be a great move by Aquilini, that dude must have some serious cash. I don't know if the Flames are in support of having their farm team moved all the way out to Chicago. I'd make the treck for some heat games for sure.

It probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for the players that play for them though. The AHL travel schedule in Chicago should be a lot better than the travel schedule of a team in Abbotsford...and if the team is on the road and needs to call up a player, it would most likely be a lot closer to call them up from Chicago

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#165 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Abotsford Canucks (then make Johnny Canuck the logo ala Vancouver Canucks of the WHL)

B)

SYvE9NH.gif

#166 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Replace "Hamilton" with "Abbotsford" and we've got a pretty sexy uni.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm still way more into having them become the "Abbotsford Moose", and of course bring back those beautiful Moose jerseys.

#167 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

That would be sweet. Building will be sold out every game guaranteed.

Get the baby flames the hell out of BC.

Subbancopy.jpg

#168 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

Sounds like a good business move by both parties, and encourage further draw/interest in our prospects.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#169 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

This would be an excellent move by Francesco Aquilini, keeping the money "in house" is the best way to go. Increased attendance, concessions, sponsors, parking fees, just a whole bunch of new income coming in. Possibilities are endless too with Rogers, I wouldn't be suprised, if this deal goes through, where there would be some sort of streaming package like we have for Canucks games which I think would be a hit with people wanting to catch a game on the tube or tablet on a non canucks game night

#170 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Can I ask a (silly?) question of the more knowledgable here?

Is there anything stopping the Canucks organisation or anyone from running two AHL teams?..............other than it would be expensive.

We could use one team to try out undrafted players, and some more undrafted Europeans. It would give us an edge when it came to looking for and developing talent would it not?
Kevin.jpg

#171 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

Can I ask a (silly?) question of the more knowledgable here?

Is there anything stopping the Canucks organisation or anyone from running two AHL teams?..............other than it would be expensive.

We could use one team to try out undrafted players, and some more undrafted Europeans. It would give us an edge when it came to looking for and developing talent would it not?

50 contract limit, with 23 in the nhl, you have 27 including CHL/euro contracts to spread through 2 ahl teams in this scenario.

Also, I'm sure there would be some sort of conflict of interest there in 1 team controlling 2 farm clubs. when they play each other what happens?

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#172 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Would love to see this happen, soon as well, but honestly I dont see it happening (Flames selling their franchise)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#173 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,243 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

hmmmmm would this hurt rogers arena attendance
- half the people at rogers arena are fair weather fans, eating sushi, drinking coffee and texting on the phone

i can see the fans in abby being loud beer drinking hockey crazed fans

it wont hurt attendance but it might just be a better crowd

I've never really enjoyed the company of drunk hockey fans at real games. I've never had to be drunk to enjoy the sport.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#174 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

50 contract limit, with 23 in the nhl, you have 27 including CHL/euro contracts to spread through 2 ahl teams in this scenario.

Also, I'm sure there would be some sort of conflict of interest there in 1 team controlling 2 farm clubs. when they play each other what happens?

Thanks for info canucklax...............Alternative I suppose would be to buy a Russian or Swedish team then. :).......Pick up promising undrafted players here and in Europe and then sign them to Russian team.

Edited by Bodee, 21 August 2012 - 01:37 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#175 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

Not even close Tearloch..............I support a "wee" team at home and I also watched most of the Wolves games on ESPN. During that time (and if you watched the games you will know what I'm talking about ie the between game/period interviews and features) I got an impression of just how the Wolves fans have taken to the Canucks players.

I will not insult you by saying you are incapable of the "purer" argument here because I'm sure you are and you are choosing to ignore it...................I might do the same if I lived in the vicinity................although I doubt it if I had seen the games on ESPN.

Now let's look at your reasoning.

Nearer to coaching? Really? We have just appointed new coaches have we not and I understand they are as close as they would be in BC. I would say the Vancouver Canucks coaches would be too busy to interfere anyway..........or need to be.

Medical Treatment?........Are you serious? I don't think the Chicago medics have a history of making a guy with a fractured back walk off the ice.......................... Sorry, I am exaggerating....................... The truth is Chicago is a world leading medical centre.

Early inclusion into the Community..............I take it that is the same Community who appear on here and rip our own players to shreds. No I don't think thats what they need, do you?

"these fans DESERVE access to these potential players."........No, I'm sorry they don't. The only people to be considered here are the players and they deserve peace to develop without being under the microscope of media publicity and fan rumour and the duplicity shown on these boards.

These Chicago fans have just started to get used to having the Canucks prospects and cheering them and idolising them, I do the same with my small team in Fife with our imports............I was gutted when 2 of them left to go to Italy / back to the states and not just because it was mid season. I understood but it didn't make the parting any easier.

There is a "we want it and we want it now" attitude on here, however as I said I trust the owners to do what is right for the development of the Club. If that means moving up to Abbotsford then so be it, I will feel sorry for all the young and not so young Chicago fans who are getting attached to the Canucks but I'll understand it's being done for more practical reasons than "it's close to Jimmy's house"

That will help them deal with it when they get here.

I dont see anything but a positive if the Heat become our affiliate.

- Players exeriance tough travel to prepare for our team

- There close by which means more coverage for the fans

- A good fanbase, fans will surley buy tickets, when ever the wolves/moose have rolled into town the attendence has gone up and a ton of people who would like to go have been unable too cause they only come in once or twice a year and they were unavailable to go, so with them being there for a full season, alot more people would go.

- season ticket sales would go up

- people would actually want to buy the merchandise, and if it does get changed to the millionaires they definetly would, that would be a huge draw.

and for the "great" fans in chicago they would become Calgary's farm team, so they would still get hockey, and if the heat were to play as badly in Chicago as they have in Abbostford, then there loyalty would truely tested.

You would be crazy to think that the attendence wont be significantly/greatly improved, probably to the level of the wolves or atleast close to it.

the heat are losing money like crazy, so it makes sense for everyone, that team will start to make money or atleast break even and stay at a good level (which is the main thing, the NHL and AHL are a bussiness first) and then it would help our prospects for the reasons I stated, and the wolves fan would still get a team with Calgary moving there, it would be beneficial for everyone.

zackass.png

#176 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

I like the Abby Eagles, related to the Canucks as they are animals the are notorious in the area. The same color scheme with a native american type eagle?
Posted Image

#177 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

I like the Abby Eagles, related to the Canucks as they are animals the are notorious in the area. The same color scheme with a native american type eagle?

I'd prefer a name/jersey that co-ordinates with the big club. I'm a goalie and drool over goalie masks. Nice if they'd match when young goalie are called up
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#178 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for info canucklax...............Alternative I suppose would be to buy a Russian or Swedish team then. :).......Pick up promising undrafted players here and in Europe and then sign them to Russian team.

Problem with this plan is that the players on the Russian or Swedish team would not be "property" of the Canucks, and could sign or be drafted by any NHL team if they did develop into NHL ready players.

The Canucks would be paying for a league wide farm team.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#179 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

chicago would keep the wolves name, so you'd have 2 wolves teams then

My bad...I guess I read into it that the Aquilinis were going to force the Heat out of the Abbotsford Arena, and move the Chicago Wolves up here. Well...gee, that'll teach me to think. :P

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#180 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Pretty aure the Heat/City of Abby and the Calgary Flames have something like 5 years left on their lease agreement. Won't happen anytime soon.

I know Abby tax payers have been covering the losses year to year, and I'm sure they would love to get out of the lease somehow.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 21 August 2012 - 10:34 PM.

2yyb7lj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.