Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Canucks Owner To Buy Abbotsford Sports Entertainment?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
206 replies to this topic

#181 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

kinda curious why people keep saying the Heat play badly when they've made it to the Calder Cup playoffs 2 years out of 3...granted they haven't got beyond the 2nd round so far but still...can't be that bad if they're winning games and getting to the playoffs can they? (Or is is just that they're the Flames farm team so they can't possibly play good hockey!! :shock: )

Much as I'd like to see the Canucks farm team in Abby (especially as I'm an Abby tax-payer!), I can't see it happening. This rumour has surfaced before...
http://abbydaily.com...-to-abbotsford/

...and will probably surface again next year, and the year after, and the one after that!

#182 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

What galls me is the audacity and the cojones that the Calgary Flames had to stick their stupid Flamelets in the middle of enemy territory. The only reason Vancouver went into Chicago's territory to affiliate with the Wolves was because it was the only choice left open to us at the time. Given the choice the Nucks, I'm sure, would have preferred to pick a team not located in Blackhawk country.

HistoryVisionDrive-HeartofaCanuck_rs.jpg

#183 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

My bad...I guess I read into it that the Aquilinis were going to force the Heat out of the Abbotsford Arena, and move the Chicago Wolves up here. Well...gee, that'll teach me to think. :P

Aquillinis have no control of the Chicago Wolves. All the Canucks do is send down players

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#184 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

kinda curious why people keep saying the Heat play badly when they've made it to the Calder Cup playoffs 2 years out of 3...granted they haven't got beyond the 2nd round so far but still...can't be that bad if they're winning games and getting to the playoffs can they? (Or is is just that they're the Flames farm team so they can't possibly play good hockey!! :shock: )

Much as I'd like to see the Canucks farm team in Abby (especially as I'm an Abby tax-payer!), I can't see it happening. This rumour has surfaced before...
http://abbydaily.com...-to-abbotsford/

...and will probably surface again next year, and the year after, and the one after that!

It's not the fact that the Heat play badly. It's frankly that a lot of Canucks fans (including me) are pissed off that the Flames had the utter gall to stick their farm team in what they knew was exclusively Canucks fan territory. As a former flatlander who moved out to Vancouver and have cheered the Canucks since they joined the NHL in 1970, I was pretty ticked off at their sheer guts and audacity. I don't like the Flames, and I never will, as long as I draw breath.

#185 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Pretty aure the Heat and the Calgary Flames have something like 5 years left on their lease agreement. Won't happen anytime soon.

team arrived in 2009 so we are only 3 years in...sigh

#186 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Aquillinis have no control of the Chicago Wolves. All the Canucks do is send down players

Doesn't mean that Frankie can't make Don and Buddy an "offer they can't refuse".

#187 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

What galls me is the audacity and the cojones that the Calgary Flames had to stick their stupid Flamelets in the middle of enemy territory. The only reason Vancouver went into Chicago's territory to affiliate with the Wolves was because it was the only choice left open to us at the time. Given the choice the Nucks, I'm sure, would have preferred to pick a team not located in Blackhawk country.

I'm more curious as to why Abby would agree to this in the first place. The lease agreement that Calgary signed was a no brainer for owners. Even if the Heat lost money, Abby tax payers were and are on the hook for any team losses.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 21 August 2012 - 10:37 PM.

fzbyi9.jpg

#188 Puck'nAnimal

Puck'nAnimal

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

I'm more curious as to why Abby would agree to this in the first place. The lease agreement that Calgary signed was a no brainer for owners. Even if the Heat lost money, Abby tax payers were and are on the hook for any team losses.

If I were an Abby taxpayer like Canucks2379...I'd be asking questions about impropriety with regards to the particulars of the contract. How much $$$ did the counsellors pocket to agree to this piece of horse dung.

Edited by Puck'nAnimal, 21 August 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#189 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

It's not the fact that the Heat play badly. It's frankly that a lot of Canucks fans (including me) are pissed off that the Flames had the utter gall to stick their farm team in what they knew was exclusively Canucks fan territory. As a former flatlander who moved out to Vancouver and have cheered the Canucks since they joined the NHL in 1970, I was pretty ticked off at their sheer guts and audacity. I don't like the Flames, and I never will, as long as I draw breath.

Fair enough. It is just a business to them but I get that your (and others) passion for the Canucks would make it seem like they're flipping the bird to the Canucks and their fans by moving their farm team here.

#190 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

If I were an Abby taxpayer like Canucks2379...I'd be asking questions about impropriety with regards to the particulars of the contract. How much $$$ did the counsellors pocket to agree to this piece of horse dung.

Plenty of people have asked questions, and even started legal proceedings to challenge the contract. My frustration (as a someone who gets to pay tax, but can't vote yet GRRRR) is that the voters here pretty much re-elected the whole council that made that decision, just ousting the mayor in the last election! That makes no sense to me when people are supposedly so unhappy with many of the decision they have made over the last few year!

#191 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

The city took a risk. They were so excited to build an arena and shove anything in it. They attempted to acquire the Manitoba Moose but the Moose were unwilling as they had a good thing in Winnipeg and was the 2nd most profitable team in the AHL.

So the city looked at other options and found the Flames. They still felt that this was a hockey market and that the Flames would do very well here. They guaranteed the owners at least 5 million in revenue every year. Whatever value was under 5 million the city would bump up to 5 million. However if profits were made above a certain point the city would get the profits. The city felt it would be an easy sell out (really bad move) and took the risk. Obviously it didn't pay off.

I don't blame them for choosing Calgary if Winnipeg was unavailable. No one thought the Jets at that time were going back to Winnipeg in the near future.

I hate the Flames as much as every other Canuck fan, but I'd rather have Calgary here than most other teams like Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Islanders etc. I really don't give a crap about their minor league teams. At least with Calgary I can learn who to hate down the road.

#192 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Plenty of people have asked questions, and even started legal proceedings to challenge the contract. My frustration (as a someone who gets to pay tax, but can't vote yet GRRRR) is that the voters here pretty much re-elected the whole council that made that decision, just ousting the mayor in the last election! That makes no sense to me when people are supposedly so unhappy with many of the decision they have made over the last few year!

So you own a house in Abbotsford but aren't legal age? Did you know almost all tax dollars the city receives is from property taxes? If you don't own a house you aren't really paying anything to the city.

#193 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

yawn
Posted Image

#194 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Id love to have any of blackhawks, panthers, wild, wings, preds, sens AHL affiliates in abby as they actually have really good prospects in their system and would be a joy to watch, flames on the other hand dont really have a deep and talented prospect pool as much as the aforementioned teams do. Canucks don't either but they would sell more tickets just because its our teams prospects/future and we can watch them develop.

Edited by CoreyPerry, 22 August 2012 - 02:39 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#195 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

So you own a house in Abbotsford but aren't legal age? Did you know almost all tax dollars the city receives is from property taxes? If you don't own a house you aren't really paying anything to the city.

Yes I do know that...it's not just under 18's that can't vote you know...permanent residents can't either! Can't wait for my citizenship to come through.

#196 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

So, realistically, how far away are we from this happening?

Months?
Years?
Never?

Thinking years.
Posted Image

#197 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Months?
Years?
Never?

Thinking years.

The city has the ability to renegotiate at 5 years, which is next year. Chicago wolves signed a two year deal which will also come up next year. If anything goes down it will all happen by next summer.

#198 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Months?
Years?
Never?

Thinking years.

Next offseason the switch to the farm club being abbostford could happen

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#199 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

If the Canucks bought the heat, it would be a great deal for both teams.  Abbotsford's attendance would skyrocket.  Only question is, would playing in the Fraser Valley put too much pressure on the prospects?  If the deal gets done, I will definitely go to a game when I want some cheaper Canucks entertainment.

Wouldn't this be a good test before calling a player up and having them play in an even more pressure packed environment in Vancouver.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#200 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

This would be awesome. How great would it be for the players to have sold-out or close to sold-out games every night. It would certainly get you fired up come playoff time.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#201 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

I was talking to Ryan Walter (President of the Abbotsford Heat) last night, and all he could say on the subject was "no comment". He told me he hates to say that, but it's what he has to say at this point.

Posted Image

#202 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,327 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well Abby should have gone after the Panthers farm club! After all Florida is Van's NHL farm team. :)

#203 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Next summer, eh? Interesting. Perhaps the Chicago Wolves were a stand-in while FAq worked the Abby angle.
Posted Image

#204 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

yawn

My what eloquence and wit .. well said .. <_<

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#205 Z.Kassian9

Z.Kassian9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

As a resident of Abbotsford, if Aquillini does end up buying the stadium and bringing the farm team here, it could be potentially one of the greatest things ever. Not only will the City of Abbotsford prosper but also its a help to the Canucks since it could make the commute much better. Of course there are negatives like the Media postlight hurting the development of the prospects but to be honest I don't think it will be that big of a problem as everyone is making it.

Hopefully Aquillini does end up buying the stadium because I know I would buy lots of tickets to games to watch the future canucks in action!

#206 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Totally agree with you Z.Kassian9.

Edited by canuck2379, 22 August 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#207 Jason Garrison

Jason Garrison

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hopefully our farm team moves to Abbotsford. Then I can watch our prospects

JG
Posted Image
Credit to Henrik Sedin

My PS3 NHL 13 Be A GM Online League. LINK: http://forum.canucks...two-spots-left/

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.