The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Backup Plan - Signing Depth Players

shawn antoski

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regardless if we doan't get Doan or Arnott, I still think we need some more depth in case of injuries that are bound to happen. We need some veteran players that are willing to sign for cheap and maybe even a 2way deal. I would'nt mind if the the canucks signed any of the following players for less then a million

-LW/RW-Brad Winchester -Age: 31------Ht: 6-5 Wt: 230 ------Salary: $725,000-NHL Seasons: 7

ASSETS: Has the build of a power forward. Is capable of playing both wing positions. Displays plenty of versatility on the ice.

-C/LW-Brendan Morrison -Age: 37-------Ht: 5-11 Wt: 176-----Salary: $850,000-NHL Seasons: 14

ASSETS: Is a good skater and playmaker. Has racked up points at every level. Is an important player on special teams and a decent face-off man.

-RW/LW-Tom Kostopoulos -Age: 33-----Ht: 6-0 Wt: 197-----Salary: $1,100,000-NHL Seasons: 10

ASSETS: Likes to play a north-south game and is strong along the wall. Defensively responsible, he's appreciated among teammates and is a good leader in the room.

-D/LW-Jim Vandermeer -Age: 32---------Ht: 6-1 Wt: 210------Salary: $1,000,000-NHL Seasons: 9

ASSETS: Displays a combination of physical and stay-at-home presence. Is as tough as nails. Has a history of point production at lower levels

-RW-Byron Bitz -Age: 28--------------------Ht: 6-5 Wt: 215-----Salary: $700,000-NHL Seasons: 3

ASSETS: Is a mammoth physical specimen and a solid hitter. Can work the corners well and provide toughness for his team

-D-Randy Jones -Age: 31-----------------Ht: 6-2 Wt: 210------Salary: $1,150,000-NHL Seasons: 8

ASSETS: Has good size and solid puck-moving skills. Is capable of logging important minutes and can play the body. Can also go on hot streaks on offense

D-Colin White -Age: 34-----------------Ht: 6-4 Wt: 215--------Salary: $1,000,000-NHL Seasons: 12

ASSETS: Is adept at clearing the front of the net and strong in defensive situations. Displays a nice combination of grit and leadership

RW-Trent Hunter -Age: 32-----------Ht: 6-3 Wt: 217---------Salary: $600,000-NHL Seasons: 9

ASSETS: Has good size and plays a sound up-and-down game. Is versatile enough to be used in any situation and is adept at making body contact. Can contribute offensively.

RW-Matt Bradley -Age: 34-----------Ht: 6-3 Wt: 200---------Salary: $900,000-NHL Seasons: 11

ASSETS: Is tenacious and fearless. Is also a good skater and possesses good size. He's a responsible player with agitating qualities. Will even drop the gloves if his team needs it

ANYONE ELSE YOU WOULD ADD TO THIS LIST

It's not the depth that makes a difference, it's the elite players. If our elite palyers are hurt, none of those guys will carry the team. 'Depth'players are 'depth' players for a reason: they are unable to do prime time. When you talk about true depth, it has to do with the number of elite players a team has so that if you lose one or two, are there any left? Adding any of the guys listed above will make zip diference to the canucks chances of winning the cup.

Yes, but its awfully nice to be able to pop your 4th line on the ice and have them be able to skate and play physically against any line, in fact TAKE it physically to your opponent!

See Jersey and L.A. last year, Boston the year before, Chicago the year before that... which also let their coach play their superstars against ideal match ups. I dare say, particularly against Boston, our top line was CLEARLY playing in circumstances we would have preferred they not be. The Twins were taking defensive draws against the likes of Lucic/Krecji/Marchand when we would have loved to ice a depth line and reserve the Sedin's for their comfortable O'zone draws!

For us, we so very much need this depth to have size, desperately on D (someone mentioned Cam Barker, I'm miffed local 225 lb boy Scott Hannan was missed) and also a centre (Arnott?) and a wing unless someone besides Kassian surprises? FTR I voted Bitz!

It's not the depth that makes a difference, it's the elite players. If our elite palyers are hurt, none of those guys will carry the team. 'Depth'players are 'depth' players for a reason: they are unable to do prime time. When you talk about true depth, it has to do with the number of elite players a team has so that if you lose one or two, are there any left? Adding any of the guys listed above will make zip diference to the canucks chances of winning the cup.

Seems like AV didnt like bitz taking penalties against the kings. Hopefully MG gives him a contract to start the season, dont see any of these other guys being picked up after watching sturm struggle last fall. Better off giving prospects the ice time until team gets healthy or new talent arrives through trade.

There must be a reason Gillis did not re-sign Bitz.

Something I, at least, do not know as I thought he looked pretty darn good.

He also gave BMO a decent look but did not sign him (what? 2 years ago?).

Morrison does not make the grade either.

Another factor may be the pending deals for Doan (?) and Luongo.

With the uncertainty there, Gillis may want to keep as much room and contract numbers as possible.

And last, we still need room for the fringe players to try to make the team.

I don't think we should sign any of these guys right now.

:lol: So true...

(Your old B Burke siggy and pics would be sooo much better suited to this exact response.) I do like re-signing Bitz though!

Meh. We could pick up far better players made available at the deadline and we already have far better options available to us at this point.

Maybe we can rent a punching bag for opposing fighters. What's a punching bag cost?

Archived