The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future Goalie controversy

chompers14

Lack looks good but 2 points of concern for me:

1) Rebound control - Particularly on his blocker side... Keeps pushing it out out towards the hash marks or in the middle.

2) Side to side movement/Recovery - Looked a little slow at times but without having seen him play in person, it's hard to judge accurately

That being said, I saw a lot of desperation saves. From a fellow goalie perspective, the only time you should have to make a desperation save is if you made a mistake in the first place (read the play wrong, over committed, bad rebound, etc).

If there is hockey this season, I pray Schneider or Luongo are gone before the season starts. Having Lack be able to come and experience the NHL will do wonders for his development at this stage IMO.

Looks like MG and his crew know how to scout and develop goalies! :)

Cannata looks big, quick, solid but he sure holds his glove hand high all the time..., definitely impressive overall!

Wonder if MG's scouting of forward and D prospects has improved ? :huh:

We're not even through this goaltending controversy 100%, and Schneider has yet to play a single game as the official starter of the Canucks and already you're looking forward to another "controversy"? Jesus, what are you going to do on the first goal Schneider lets in next season, run him out of town?

Maybe I'm just in a foul mood, but christ, it's threads like these that epitomizes Canuck fans as being perceived as the worst in the league, or you know it could just be a slow news day.

:picard:

The thing I am so impressed by is we got Lack for nothing. We signed him and now half the gm's in the league are salivating. Scotty Bowman is on record salivating with a goaltender man crush. I think this Swedish scouting thing has been working for us. First Eddler and now Lack. These are roster guys so to have two guys on the Canucks who we found in the Swedish backwoods is impressive.

Any thoughts?

Never never never forget that NHL hockey is a business. If it's anticipated that having a player stay for another year could generate enough revenue in fan merchandise, that will always always be part of the equation. Even more so with a team that sells out every game and has 10 years or more worth of fans lined up to get their hands on seasons tickets. And now that Schneids is posed to step in, here comes another round of jersey sales. Puuuuurfectly timed. Controversy my butt. Never underestimate the influence of the marketing people.

(edit: yes, it's tongue in cheek. The thread is about controversy lol)

Good video, haven't seen much of him but here's my take (and he is still developing).

1. Alot of shots seem to hit him square in the chest (GREAT sign, means he's in position alot) (at least in that vid).

2. Great size, looks alot like Lou out there

3. Good glove hand

4. Terrific reaction time, a number of tough reaction saves with the legs in that video

5. Rebound control is decent, saw a few being kicked out to bad spots but also an awareness on some where he is kicking them deliberately at times, good sign, means it will improve

6. Only real concern I saw was his lateral pushes aren't that great. Good enough given his size (somewhat makes up for it), but in the NHL when a split second makes a difference that push means alot, this is certainly one of Schnied's strengths, hard push, not overcomitting, staying in control between the posts and shoulders high.

Lack looked a bit like Lou on a number of those types of plays where he pushes too hard because he's a bit slower then is somewhat out of position, past the post. Clearly something he will develop/work on, but he looks like he has the makings of a terrific goalie.

Keeping Luongo and Lack makes more sense in terms of development, not Schneider and Lack.

Luongo is far from at the end of his career and still has at least another 2 or 3 solid, 30-win (out of 50 starts) campaigns in him. Meanwhile, Lack could be a good backup in about 1 seasons time, take another 2 seasons to grow and develop as a backup and then be ready to start in about 4 seasons by when Luongo will be on the downhill.

Their development matches up perfectly. Schneider is the odd cog in the wheel, which is why it makes more sense to trade Schneider and keep our other 2 great goalies. Trading Luongo instead just leaves us with 2 goalies who will pretty much be developing together with only a couple of seasons separating their development.

Keeping Luongo and Lack makes more sense in terms of development, not Schneider and Lack.

Luongo is far from at the end of his career and still has at least another 2 or 3 solid, 30-win (out of 50 starts) campaigns in him. Meanwhile, Lack could be a good backup in about 1 seasons time, take another 2 seasons to grow and develop as a backup and then be ready to start in about 4 seasons by when Luongo will be on the downhill.

Their development matches up perfectly. Schneider is the odd cog in the wheel, which is why it makes more sense to trade Schneider and keep our other 2 great goalies. Trading Luongo instead just leaves us with 2 goalies who will pretty much be developing together with only a couple of seasons separating their development.

Lack will be great and so will Cannata. We will have goaltender depth for years which is why Luongo is expendable.

Right now we don't have Lack on contract unfortunately. A lockout could mean he goes back to Sweden...

Archived