Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Future Goalie controversy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Good video, haven't seen much of him but here's my take (and he is still developing).

1. Alot of shots seem to hit him square in the chest (GREAT sign, means he's in position alot) (at least in that vid).
2. Great size, looks alot like Lou out there
3. Good glove hand
4. Terrific reaction time, a number of tough reaction saves with the legs in that video
5. Rebound control is decent, saw a few being kicked out to bad spots but also an awareness on some where he is kicking them deliberately at times, good sign, means it will improve
6. Only real concern I saw was his lateral pushes aren't that great. Good enough given his size (somewhat makes up for it), but in the NHL when a split second makes a difference that push means alot, this is certainly one of Schnied's strengths, hard push, not overcomitting, staying in control between the posts and shoulders high.

Lack looked a bit like Lou on a number of those types of plays where he pushes too hard because he's a bit slower then is somewhat out of position, past the post. Clearly something he will develop/work on, but he looks like he has the makings of a terrific goalie.

He looks nothing like Lou, he is not down on his belly or his back after every shot - nor is he watching it sail over his glove or through his five-hole - you actually have to beat him, unlike Lou, he doesn't beat himself.

#32 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

really looking forward to Lack...
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#33 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Keeping Luongo and Lack makes more sense in terms of development, not Schneider and Lack.

Luongo is far from at the end of his career and still has at least another 2 or 3 solid, 30-win (out of 50 starts) campaigns in him. Meanwhile, Lack could be a good backup in about 1 seasons time, take another 2 seasons to grow and develop as a backup and then be ready to start in about 4 seasons by when Luongo will be on the downhill.

Their development matches up perfectly. Schneider is the odd cog in the wheel, which is why it makes more sense to trade Schneider and keep our other 2 great goalies. Trading Luongo instead just leaves us with 2 goalies who will pretty much be developing together with only a couple of seasons separating their development.
Posted Image

#34 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

wow...are we getting a little ahead of ourselves yet?
luongo is still here, schneider has not played a full season, and our 2 other goal prospects are still in the AHL - one not even under contract yet...and we are saying we will have a goalie controversy?
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#35 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Wow, an up and coming goalie pushing for top spot. What a horrible position to be in. I am sure other teams are glad they don't have that problem with Goalie depth, must give them ulcers.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#36 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

Keeping Luongo and Lack makes more sense in terms of development, not Schneider and Lack.

Luongo is far from at the end of his career and still has at least another 2 or 3 solid, 30-win (out of 50 starts) campaigns in him. Meanwhile, Lack could be a good backup in about 1 seasons time, take another 2 seasons to grow and develop as a backup and then be ready to start in about 4 seasons by when Luongo will be on the downhill.

Their development matches up perfectly. Schneider is the odd cog in the wheel, which is why it makes more sense to trade Schneider and keep our other 2 great goalies. Trading Luongo instead just leaves us with 2 goalies who will pretty much be developing together with only a couple of seasons separating their development.

Luongo is already on the downhill. Throwing away Schneider because we think Lack will be good at the NHL level is a bad idea.

#37 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm just glad your not our GM.

#38 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Lack will be great and so will Cannata. We will have goaltender depth for years which is why Luongo is expendable.

Right now we don't have Lack on contract unfortunately. A lockout could mean he goes back to Sweden...

You could more logically argue it the other way........if these two progress.

After all how long before Lack gets tested if Schneider IS the real deal? It could be 8-10 years. Are Lack AND Cannata going to hang around for that length of time?

With Lu I recon he has another 5 years at the top, maybe the last 3 sharing with Lack..............Lu retires and we have a Lack / Cannata tandem for another 10-15 years.

Apologies DUC should have read to the end of the thread...........you said the same before me.

Edited by Bodee, 27 August 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Luongo is already on the downhill. Throwing away Schneider because we think Lack will be good at the NHL level is a bad idea.

Lu is nowhere near the downward slope....................do what I did this afternoon (I am getting a new bathroom fitted) and go back over a sample of last year's games (if you have GameCenter Live) and come back here and say he is on the downward slope...................he is just coming into his prime man!
Kevin.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.