The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

I'm just rambling, as a crazy Atheist who doesn't hate Religion at all.

Why does the separation between Science and Religion always have to be at odds? It was disgusting 700 years ago when the Vatican was willing to execute Gallileo for having the gall to suggesting a Heliocentric universe. Why is it alright to come down on people for having faith now?

Past that, faith is kind of the important word. Proof denies faith, it's like a riddle. Faith is contingent on you not knowing for sure that it's real - if you knew for a fact that something would happen, it's not Faith, it's Knowledge. I know with an absolute moral certainty that if I drop an orange, it'll hit the ground. I would never say I had faith that it would happen, because I know it to be a constant of the Universe. Faith is reserved for things that, and this sounds obvious to say, you have to go out on a limb to believe in. I have faith that if I lend my roommate rent, she's going to repay me. I have no proof that she will. I have faith that, because I take care of my car, when I go start it tomorrow, it's going to run. That, again, is far from a certainty. I do know without question that if I never get that rent money back and I don't put gas in my car as a result, it will eventually run out of gas and stop moving. The second you can prove something without question, which is the entire goal of Science as it pertains to just about everything, the ability to have faith in it ceases to exist.

If I were living in a world where I truly believed in God, and that I truly believed that He had spoken to prophets and they had put down his word as scripture, the part of that story that I would find the most unbelievable is that anyone would truly believe that there were no errors made along the way. No personal interpretations by the writers. No quashing of certain, potentially unsavory pieces along the way. If we live with the absolute belief in a God, there's still no reason to believe that the men accepting his dictation were anything but flawed humans trying to understand, you know, the Creator of Everything. So, it seems to me that nitpicking the Bible is almost the lowest form of trying to understand religion. It was written at a time where popular opinion about sentiments would have to be reflected. The most important things that I wish people would take from religious texts is that a good amount of it is meant to steer in the right direction. Some of it is definitely bigoted, hateful, spiteful stuff, but it was also written 2,000 years ago by people who are even more intolerant than people are today. I've read, cover-to-cover, the Qu'ran, the Bible and the Jewish Bible. Overwhelmingly, they are positive books about having honour, treating your family and your faith with the highest priority, and trying your best to live a life where you're good to everyone. Whether someone along the way slipped in his own bias or whether you believe any of it or not, is it really so bad that people have a reason to live better?

I'm not saying that I support people getting in people's faces about their religions, or lack thereof, or whatever. I don't care what you believe in. If your religion gives you a reason to be a better person, that's great. I'm not interested in converting, but good for you. I will say that, as an Atheist growing up in a dominantly Catholic town, I have never, ever had anyone get in my face about religion like I see the so-called 'Ragetheist' movement get uppity about it. Even from my Grandmother, and she was raised in a Nunnery during the War. By Nuns.

TL;DR - Can't we all just keep our religious beliefs to ourselves, and try to be a little happier?

Right, which is why it's still referred to as a theory.

One of the things I find the easiest to dual-explain is evolution. To start, the concept that a God in any way perceives time is ridiculous. By whose measurement is a day? God's? It seems a lot more likely that, in order to explain to a mortal human how he created the world, he'd be like 'Yeah, sure, first I made the heavens, then the earth, then, like, the animals. Then people' - Why is it so hard to believe that God's 'day' would be 24 hours? Why is it so hard to believe that that vastness of the universe could have been made according to a design, but that the laws of the Universe are the parameters put into the design?

Again, that's not something I believe, but if God sat down next to me and said 'I had to explain a lot of things that people were too dumb to understand. So, instead of mentioning dinosaurs and having my prophets sound like complete morons when they went into town and talked about it, I just said I made everything in a few days' I would nod my head and say 'yeah, that's reasonable'

"Theory" in scientific terms means something very different from the colloquial "theory". It's an explanative and predictive framework based on repeatedly verified facts. In this sense, evolution is a theory, but there is absolutely no question that it happened.

Are you seriously so close minded that you can't even imagine that there might be other possibilities than evolution?

Consider that if 'creation' did happen, then perhaps all that evidence we look at now that suggests evolution, the fossil and geologic record and such, was planted during the act of creation. I've heard stories of wacky fundamentalists who believe that the earth is 6000 years old, the bible is the exact word of god and dinosaur fossils were made by god to test our faith. Its a completely ridiculous idea to any rational person, but there certainly aren't any 6000 year olds around today who could categorically disprove it.

However ridiculous and unlikely it may be, you can't 100% deny that its at least possible. To do so would lump you in with those blind faith, 'its my story and I'm sticking to it' religious types you seem so fond of.

Edit: I know it doesn't take much to get you worked up, so let me clarify, I am not religious. I think religion is outdated and obsolete in today's world, and evolution is by far the most likely explanation for how we've arrived where we are as a species.

Right, which is why it's still referred to as a theory.

One of the things I find the easiest to dual-explain is evolution. To start, the concept that a God in any way perceives time is ridiculous. By whose measurement is a day? God's? It seems a lot more likely that, in order to explain to a mortal human how he created the world, he'd be like 'Yeah, sure, first I made the heavens, then the earth, then, like, the animals. Then people' - Why is it so hard to believe that God's 'day' would be 24 hours? Why is it so hard to believe that that vastness of the universe could have been made according to a design, but that the laws of the Universe are the parameters put into the design?

Again, that's not something I believe, but if God sat down next to me and said 'I had to explain a lot of things that people were too dumb to understand. So, instead of mentioning dinosaurs and having my prophets sound like complete morons when they went into town and talked about it, I just said I made everything in a few days' I would nod my head and say 'yeah, that's reasonable'

Archived