Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super19

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

2,035 posts in this topic

Okay... true.

You can believe that the only evidence for God one should believe in is through a 'scientific process'. I don't know what that exactly implies. Maybe pointing the Hubble Telescope to a far away spot and seeing some strange radiation/aura that God would emit? Lol. Like I said, the evidence you want cannot exist. God is outside this world.

I'm not sure. Maybe he could run around raising the dead and partying with angels and doing other sorts of activities not possible under the laws of nature. Then he could rapture me up to heaven and I could have heavenly ice cream. That would be pretty convincing.

Does your holy book and every other one for that matter not claim that gods actions and influence are very real and very observable hear on earth?

S19, if humans share no common descent with the rest of the animal kingdom, how do you explain this:

Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are pieces of viral genetic material inserted into the genome of an organism. Viruses, as you may know, insert genetic material into a cell in order to make copies of themselves. The retroviruses responsible for ERVs infected a sperm or egg cell in some time in the past in a random location in the DNA, and the sequence will be present on their offspring's DNA in the exact same place. The ERV can be conserved and spread throughout a population. They are usually benign, having been mutated over time to strip away their original function. However, the sequence is still easily identifiable as being viral in nature.

Humans and chimpanzees share seven recognizable ERVs that we know about in our respective genomes. This doesn't just mean that the retroviral sequences are the same (aside from the mutations accrued over time), but they're in the exact same location in the genome. With ~3 billion base pairs in the human and chimp genomes, the odds of ANY retroviruses infecting the exact same locations independently is one in 3 billion to the power of 7, let alone the exact same type of retrovirus in each place. This means that humans and chimps shared a common ancestor, and that the ERVs were inserted before our two lineages split. We can actually trace the ERVs back to see when they appeared by looking at the genomes of other organisms, but for our purposes, I only need to make the case that we are related to chimpanzees.

Here's a well-sourced essay on the topic:

http://www.evolution...el.com/ervs.htm

If I made a mistake anywhere, someone please correct me.

Edit: caught a mistake on my own. There are areas of high and low frequency insertion in the genome for ERVs, so it's not entirely random, but close to it.

I think that, if you try to prioritize your 5 senses in chronological order, you'll get closer to the Source.

Do you think that the Qur'an was poorly authoured? In terms of poetry and etc?

I'm not sure. Maybe he could run around raising the dead and partying with angels and doing other sorts of activities not possible under the laws of nature. Then he could rapture me up to heaven and I could have heavenly ice cream. That would be pretty convincing.

In any case, it'll take a lot more than a book of secondary sources written thousands of years ago in a largely illiterate and uneducated part of the world.

Dude, solid post.

I think humans being related to chimps doesn't present inherent problem within my religion though.

Weren't you saying earlier in the thread that Islam doesn't allow for humans to be anything but specially created separate from the animals? Obviously this can be adjusted for by taking a metaphorical view of the Adam and Eve story, but it does discredit the strictly literalist interpretation of the Quran.

Maybe I was wrong, and perhaps your latter point isn't as blasphemous as I once thought. It's something ii hope modern islamic scholarship pursues to understand and may God guide them in it, ameen.

Weren't you saying earlier in the thread that Islam doesn't allow for humans to be anything but specially created separate from the animals? Obviously this can be adjusted for by taking a metaphorical view of the Adam and Eve story, but it does discredit the strictly literalist interpretation of the Quran.

Here's another micro-evolutionary example of how common ancestry works with a very high degree of probability:

Genetics....one of the best evidences for establishing common ancestry.

I believe in Allah, the Abrahamic God, brotha. Islam is my religion, and just for clarity, I do believe in following the sunnah.

Maybe I was wrong, and perhaps your latter point isn't as blasphemous as I once thought. It's something ii hope modern islamic scholarship pursues to understand and may God guide them in it, ameen.