The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

But why does their have to be only ONE God? How do we know their isn't a whole race of Gods? Just because the book you founded your beliefs on says only one? It actually doesn't say there is only one, only that the Hebrews should worship no God other than their own. Ever consider that the authors saw their own culture being altered by interaction with other cultures and wished to maintain their own position of power?

Each holy book is the story of ONE people, Christianity and Islam are religions recently founded where older more established religions already existed, therefore they needed to convert from outside to establish their numbers, hence the aggressive nature of the two.

The fact we haven't found life yet does really lead credence to anything, just that we've searched an inconsequential little nook among the vastness of the universe. Mars used to be suitable for life until its atmosphere eroded. Can't say that it's the most suitable considering the large number of habitable zone planets out there. The asteroid belt hurts more than it helps. It is too thinly dispersed to protect the Earth from other asteroids/comets and accounts for 99.8% of all meteorites that have hit the Earth. Jupiter does protect us but life would go on regardless. It'd just have to deal with a meteor once every 3 million instead of 30 million years. It doesn't seem like amazing work if it were fine tuned, just good enough.

Me - our planet sustains life

You - evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me - ?

Evolution does not refute the fact that our planet can sustain life. Because our planet can sustain life, it is considered fine tuned. Extraordinary. Unique. What does evolution have to do with it?

Before the discovery of the big bang, there was less research altogether of origins of the universe. So there wasn't any dialogue in terms of fine-tuning or not. Evolution wasn't as talked about either. The entire discussion didn't exist. People had other evidences for belief in God, some of which is just plainly accepting truth presented by Scripture.

This most recent response of yours is almost parallel to a theist saying "dinosaurs didn't exist because the bible didn't mention them!" Sharpshooter, you're better than this.

Did you get any of the video presented? The explosion of the big bang and the closeness of expansion and contraction of the universe is extreeeeeeeeeeemely unimaginably close. It's like blasting something into the atmosphere and perfectly finding the escape velocity for perfect orbit. That's a universe fine tuned.

This is the best atheism has to offer? This is child's play.

Our planet is fine-tuned for LIFE.

Species die and other species replace them. 99.9% of all species that ever existed have gone extinct how do you even make that claim when evolution produces more and more complex species? This argument is splitting hairs. Life exists on our planet, it is fine tuned for the ebb and flow of life. Name me one planet with life on it?

Do it, name me one planet with life on it.

Evolution is what makes it extraordinary, unique and life sustaining.

Without evolution, there would be no life here, or possibly anywhere.

Evolution of the universe, led to the evolution of everything, including but not limited to life on earth.

I'l let your prophet speak for himself:

As Stephen Hawking has noted, "The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. ... The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life."[8]

Hawking takes an agnostic position on matters of religion. He is no 'atheist prophet.' He admits that God may (or may not) have indeed created the laws of science. However, he is definitely more atheist than theist. He also says the existence of God isn't neccessary to explain the origin of the universe.

So did Noah actually get 2 of every animal onto a boat or is it an allegory? Like you better follow god or he will flood the earth and kill everyone but not really because it never really happened. I find it odd that this request has been ignored over and over. Perhaps there is some evidence that cannot be refuted.

Hawking takes an agnostic position on matters of religion. He is no 'atheist prophet.' He admits that God may (or may not) have indeed created the laws of science. However, he is definitely more atheist than theist. He also says the existence of God isn't neccessary to explain the origin of the universe.

So did Noah actually get 2 of every animal onto a boat or is it an allegory? Like you better follow god or he will flood the earth and kill everyone but not really because it never really happened. I find it odd that this request has been ignored over and over. Perhaps there is some evidence that cannot be refuted.

I noticed that some of the best minds in our history were agnostic. They were very much scientists, but also kept space available for God. Einstein didn't like the atheist label and neither do i. As it turns out, atheism is a religion more than anything else these days and the fanatacism in that religion rivals any others'.

I think that in the world of the unprovable, both atheists and theists are right and wrong simultaneously. Makes for some lengthly religious debate.

Archived