The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

If somebody wants to use Websters as a definition bible, then he might've wanted to look at the definition of atheism first.

The doctrine of there not being a deity can easily be tranformed into religion if a church so chooses. Forget First Church of Atheism, What about Buddhism?

Alright well explain how the disciples of Jesus were so radical in their belief in that they gave up their lives for his name sake? Not only that, but the religion was so counter cultural to their Jewish tradition, yet they still endured persecution for it. What made them want to be crucified with Christ if he was a fake?

Yet funny how when Xenophanes rejected the polytheistic view of the gods of the Greeks (as explanations for natural phenomenon) he still went on to say this:

"There is one God... similar to mortals neither in shape nor thought... remote and effortless he governs all there is."

I think you missed the point that Norman was trying to make though, or are looking past it in a sense. God(s) are generally made in the image of their conjureres. It's why Hindus had Indian looking gods, why early Christians, who were Middle-Eastern Jews for all intents and purposes, had a Jew who was a Man-God, why Nordic people had Nordic looking Gods, etc...

If the Hindus of ancient India had kangaroos, there'd most likely be a kangaroo-god, instead of a monkey god or a god with an elephant's head. What would have been really profound is if Jesus was Japanese or Mexican. Now surely that would have been an impossibility that would have lended some credibility to a divine act of insemination. If Thor was a black guy, that would have been something remarkable

....BUT, none of that happened....human beings created a god or gods in their own image. They chose the manifestation of human form to look like them, because that's all they really knew.

It's all just made up stories people and your god(s) are simply characters in those stories.

The Christian God is more known because a powerful civilization adopted that story as it was most popular and on the rise to replace the pagan one that was on the decline. With the conquering of territory things like religion invariably made its way into the conquered lands and people. That's how Islam grew and how Christianity grew. If the hindus had the same lust for territory and zeolotorious proselytizing at the point of the sword, much of Asia Minor may have well been Hindu, hundreds, if not thousands of years before Christ was ever born.

It's all made up stories.

Grow up and let go of the safety blanket. Be good and kind and merciful and generous and loving for their own sake and not because some fictional, man-made god or book tells/asks/commands you too. Trust me, you be those things without the thought of someone or something judging you or watching over your shoulder, like a celestial big brother, making you feel guilty and monitored, you'll enjoy those selfless acts so much more, because they have no more reward than how it makes you feel and how it makes others feel, which is enough reward on its own.

Theism and Deism is bullsh!$.

Edit....And thus ends my Sunday sermon, please help yourself with some cookies on your way out. (Apologies for turning my response to you into a rant, Nevise.)

The never ending battle between atheists and religious people.

You have Muslims Vs. Christians Vs. Jews Vs. Atheists Vs. Buddhists Vs. Agnostics Vs. Hindus Vs. blah blah blah

I stand by agnosticism which neither believes or disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities. Humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist. So Atheists who blab about non-existence of god can be just as wrong as religious people who believe in existence of god.

CASE CLOSED!!

/thread

And am out of here before people come and bash my views or say that am wrong, they are right.

Archived