Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super19

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

2,035 posts in this topic

It's the first mention of God and it establishes his authority and power. If you stop to think critically, which I know you loathe to do, you'd realise that this is the basis for the rest of the Old Testament, and the Old Testament is the segue into the New Testament. None of the rest of the characters, or their actions or their authority could be possible without establishing the power, authority and divinity of the this story-book's central character.

No God....no God's deeds, actions, prescriptions, commandments, etc....and no Bible, and no religion.

The masses have become used to their opiate, which is why some can't let it go in the face of anything, much like other addicts who aren't able to just shrug off that which they too become hopelessly addicted to.

What's flawed about affixing the 'there is no God argument' strictly on what's in the Bible is that the majority belief in God now transcends the Bible.

Not saying that you're wrong about the creation story being false or fiction. I'm saying that any reasonable argument against the creation story (or 'Bible facts' in general) doesn't matter. Religion and God will still go on because merely denying the creation story isn't enough to extinguish God's or religion's existence. Esp. when countering belief with non-belief can only end up in stalemate.

Reason. Logic. Science. Critical thinking. While it makes little sense to the scientific mind, unfortunately none of these things will work towards disproving God or religion. Not as long as there are still believers. And not as long as there are still basic principles of our existence that science cannot fully explain. For example, science cannot even define religion, let lone disprove it.

There is middle ground to be had, however. Tons of scientists are religious and tons of religious types also believe in science. To go hard line in either direction is the essence of narrow-mindedness.

The infallibility of scriptures is a relatively new western Christian belief. The Hebrews and Jews maintained that the scriptures were supposed to be read to glean different meanings for different individuals. They never claimed that it was perfect and that it was infallible. That's why the Jewish people are known for the studying of scriptures and debating their meanings.

Christianity and Judaism were born from fundamentalism, how is that relatively new? Yes the religions have evolved over time and considering the content of their self-described "holy books", that evolution is a testament of how they got it wrong, not right.

Fundamentalist Christianity (especially the belief, as is the case in the current discussion, of a literal interpretation of Genesis) is a relatively new doctrinal belief. A couple of hundred years old. Though there were people hundreds of years ago (if not thousands) who did read it literally. But as far as making it a huge sticking point of christian beliefs that's relatively new. Unless Karen Armstrong, Robert Wright, and NT Wright were lying to me... :P

As we were just on slightly different pages.

Well maybe they got it all wrong...I dunno :P

Fundamentalist Christianity (especially the belief, as is the case in the current discussion, of a literal interpretation of Genesis) is a relatively new doctrinal belief. A couple of hundred years old. Though there were people hundreds of years ago (if not thousands) who did read it literally. But as far as making it a huge sticking point of christian beliefs that's relatively new. Unless Karen Armstrong, Robert Wright, and NT Wright were lying to me... :P

As we were just on slightly different pages.

Well maybe they got it all wrong...I dunno :P

Just finished watching "When Rome Ruled", Rise Of Christianity". Pretty straightforward if one is open minded.

Political tool used by Emperor Constantine to become the ruler of Rome, solidify his rule and unite the Empire under one flag (religion).

Just finished watching "When Rome Ruled", Rise Of Christianity". Pretty straightforward if one is open minded.

Political tool used by Emperor Constantine to become the ruler of Rome, solidify his rule and unite the Empire under one flag (religion).

I can't believe this discussion continues still.

Instead of bickering over what is the origin of life, or whatever it is now that's being discussed, why don't some of you learn to realize that we don't have the answer? There's not enough proof, and there never will be.

Instead of being stuck on what happened in the past, perhaps it's time to look to the future instead, and get on with life.

Which means actual debate can take place in an environment that is free of insults and one-liners.

These discussions are revolving doors anyway. I've seen this one come back to something that was already discussed in the first place more than once. Not to mention epic wastes of time. People argue here and other forums like they're going to change the minds of others. That isn't going to happen. People are going to believe what they believe and won't change how they see things even if the truth came up and bit them on the ass. Accept it, go out and enjoy life.

I can't believe this discussion continues still.

Instead of bickering over what is the origin of life, or whatever it is now that's being discussed, why don't some of you learn to realize that we don't have the answer? There's not enough proof, and there never will be.

Instead of being stuck on what happened in the past, perhaps it's time to look to the future instead, and get on with life.

These discussions are revolving doors anyway. I've seen this one come back to something that was already discussed in the first place more than once. Not to mention epic wastes of time. People argue here and other forums like they're going to change the minds of others. That isn't going to happen. People are going to believe what they believe and won't change how they see things even if the truth came up and bit them on the ass. Accept it, go out and enjoy life.

Hallelujah!

I think it's a good thing that people look for answers, but I agree with you 100% on the idea that none of us can know for sure.

People can have their own opinions, and have every right to try and justify them. But it is when they try to push their opinions (even if they are pheasible and show a good use of logic) as non-disputable facts when it can become an issue.