The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

...how? One could say "it would be nice if...." for plenty of things that the person isn't dismissing off hand. For example, is someone saying "it would be nice if it rained today" making a claim that it isn't going to rain?

No, the other post you quoted. The one addressed to another poster.

Why does it need to last more than 80 +/- years? We're here for that long, may as well make the most of it while we here. No?

Beyond that it's about giving your offspring the best chance they can so they can live their 80+/- years...and on, and on...

That's a lot different than never being born.

But you believe in the possibility without evidence to back it up, while I hold the null hypothesis until the possibility can be substantiated.

There is no way to find any evidence anyway. Which is why I'm not convinced about there not being an invisible magic neon dinosaur that lives in my backyard that cannot be detected through physical means ;)

Even though there is no direct evidence better arguments can be made for the existence of a divine intelligence/creator than can be made for an invisible magic neon dinosaur. :P

I mean I think it's more intellectually honest to say one is an agnostic with regards to a god but I wouldn't say the same for some one who is agnostic about an invisible dinosaur haha.

I'd say that's only because the invisible magic neon dinosaur is defined relatively specifically, as compared to a generalized intelligent creator. When a theist starts defining their deity in more detail, they run into some of the same problems as one positing my pet dinosaur.

Anyways, I was trying to point out that his statement could also apply to an infinite number of things he doesn't believe in, so it's effectively meaningless.

But you believe in the possibility without evidence to back it up, while I hold the null hypothesis until the possibility can be substantiated.

There is no way to find any evidence anyway. Which is why I'm not convinced about there not being an invisible magic neon dinosaur that lives in my backyard that cannot be detected through physical means ;)

Archived