The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Sure, our origins according to ToE keep us on no separate line of descent from those the theory state we evolved alongside.

To be honest, I can't tell you how it happened exactly, that's a biologists or another scientists job which I understand they are doing. The Qur'an is largely silent on this issue so that's why I don't have a problem believing in the rest of evolution. I just believe us humans are separate from evolving from a common ancestor. And this also does not mean that I do not subcribe to the view that us humans have evolved since our origins, I'm just saying our origins are seperate.

No, Qur'an has some information. Parts it discusses are clear, but the thing on the whole it is ambigious enough that some Muslims these days believe there is no problem reconciling the two. I myself am not part of that view because the way I see it is that what the theory states about the origin of us cannot be reconciled with the Qur'an - it's not as severe as the disconnect there is with the Bible though.

We believe in Adam and Eve (not the Bible's version).

S19, if humans share no common descent with the rest of the animal kingdom, how do you explain this:

Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are pieces of viral genetic material inserted into the genome of an organism. Viruses, as you may know, insert genetic material into a cell in order to make copies of themselves. The retroviruses responsible for ERVs infected a sperm or egg cell in some time in the past in a random location in the DNA, and the sequence will be present on their offspring's DNA in the exact same place. The ERV can be conserved and spread throughout a population. They are usually benign, having been mutated over time to strip away their original function. However, the sequence is still easily identifiable as being viral in nature.

Humans and chimpanzees share seven recognizable ERVs that we know about in our respective genomes. This doesn't just mean that the retroviral sequences are the same (aside from the mutations accrued over time), but they're in the exact same location in the genome. With ~3 billion base pairs in the human and chimp genomes, the odds of ANY retroviruses infecting the exact same locations independently is one in 3 billion to the power of 7, let alone the exact same type of retrovirus in each place. This means that humans and chimps shared a common ancestor, and that the ERVs were inserted before our two lineages split. We can actually trace the ERVs back to see when they appeared by looking at the genomes of other organisms, but for our purposes, I only need to make the case that we are related to chimpanzees.

Here's a well-sourced essay on the topic:

http://www.evolution...el.com/ervs.htm

If I made a mistake anywhere, someone please correct me.

Edit: caught a mistake on my own. There are areas of high and low frequency insertion in the genome for ERVs, so it's not entirely random, but close to it.

S19, if humans share no common descent with the rest of the animal kingdom, how do you explain this:

Endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are pieces of viral genetic material inserted into the genome of an organism. Viruses, as you may know, insert genetic material into a cell in order to make copies of themselves. The retroviruses responsible for ERVs infected a sperm or egg cell in some time in the past in a random location in the DNA, and the sequence will be present on their offspring's DNA in the exact same place. The ERV can be conserved and spread throughout a population. They are usually benign, having been mutated over time to strip away their original function. However, the sequence is still easily identifiable as being viral in nature.

Humans and chimpanzees share seven recognizable ERVs that we know about in our respective genomes. This doesn't just mean that the retroviral sequences are the same (aside from the mutations accrued over time), but they're in the exact same location in the genome. With ~3 billion base pairs in the human and chimp genomes, the odds of ANY retroviruses infecting the exact same locations independently is one in 3 billion to the power of 7, let alone the exact same type of retrovirus in each place. This means that humans and chimps shared a common ancestor, and that the ERVs were inserted before our two lineages split. We can actually trace the ERVs back to see when they appeared by looking at the genomes of other organisms, but for our purposes, I only need to make the case that we are related to chimpanzees.

While i have no doubt about evolution , what interests me is the point at which life evovled from single cell , to multi cell .

which theory holds more credibility, the symbiotic theory , the celluristation [syncytial] theory or the colonial theory ?

does any body give much credence to the snoball earth theory ?

it truly blows me away that there are actually people out there who still deny evolution. And lets be real here, if you say that you agree with evolution, but think "we" are special and we didnt evolve, then you dont know what you're talking about. There is so much evidence that it's mind boggling to see people here actually argue against it.

I agree to the bolded, I always have. It is by far the best explanation for life and adaptation, and does have tons of evidence to support it.

I will also admit that my comparing it to the Flat Earth Theory was silly.

But like I've said, the point of my argument is that these Theories (we could even include Gravitational Theory) are constantly changing all the time based off of new evidence -- factual evidence.

In just 2 centuries we have gone from accepting Creationism as the basis of life, to this complex theory of Evolution. All I'm saying is that in another 200 years science and technology will have improved at such a large scale that is is not unreasonable for some of the points in the current Theory of Evolution to be disproved, altered, or even proven to a degree of irrefutability, by discovering new evidence.

This is why it bugs me when people attack others on their stance of these kind of theories (not whether or not they believe in it, that's a whole other issue, but how they think it could work).

I have and I think he's pretty good too. Thanks.

I've always kinda of hoped that the Panspermia theory would pan out.

Kind of why i'm excited about the current Curiosity Rover mission to Mars in search of past life. Finding life now would be indescribably great, but finding evidence for life that not only predated when life arose on earth, but that shares a commonality would be mind blowing.

I too am very excited about the mars mission brother for many reasons, the main one being the discovery of some form of life , and while i will always retain an open mind, i like the rest of the scientific community will give more credence to the theories that were mentioned in my previous post :)

it truly blows me away that there are actually people out there who still deny evolution. And lets be real here, if you say that you agree with evolution, but think "we" are special and we didnt evolve, then you dont know what you're talking about. There is so much evidence that it's mind boggling to see people here actually argue against it.

Archived