The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

The key to defining the purpose of our existence first comes with realizing that infinity, absolutely nothing, God, a soul, consciousness, creation, death, the end of the universe, and the birth of the universe are all the same thing. Moreso, the knowledge of everything outside us begins with the knowledge of what is within ourselves.

We don't even know how our own monkey brains work, but we have the audacity to claim that we have found the answers to what lies beyond the void?

We must find the answers. Real answers, not 'philosophied' ones. It is our purpose.

We do things in the here and now, because we remember them in the here and now and because those things we choose to do have positive or negative consequences for us in the here and now.

The positive purpose of dying is completing your life-cycle, for starters. Decomposition of the body, redeposits minerals in the soil and feeds the soil and which brings about new life and sustains life already present. I find a nobility and purposefulness and usefulness in that. And if you're cremated, then I find usefulness in not occupying realty that could be used productively by those that continue to live.

This makes sense if you think for yourself and find purpose in your own life and for your own life and death as opposed to buying into someone else's definitions/stories/bull$h!t about your life's purpose, that was written by a buncha old guys who probably knew less about the world in general than you. Take control of your own purpose and stop letting some fairy-tale story book and those that interpret it for you, telling you what your purpose is.

So since the general belief has almost always been that God exists(up until recent years), doesn't that mean that it's up to non-believers to disprove God? Granted, there is evidence that shows the possibility of no God, but there is no evidence to actually disprove a creator/God.

And telling someone to shut up is a quite distasteful way to disagree with them.

I'm happy for you in that you find usefulness for yourself in death, and that it isn't something you dread.

As for the last paragraph, I don't let people tell me what to believe. I believe what makes the most sense to me. I know that I could be wrong, but that's what makes it a belief.

No, because you're making a positive claim. If I told you I had an ET locked in my fridge, but he was invisible, intangible, and only talked to me, would you be persuaded to believe me? Well, it's up to you to prove he doesn't exist, because a lot of people believe there is Extra-Terrestrial life out there.

Modern neuroscience has revealed to us that 'we' (Our personalities, thoughts, feelings etc) are generated by our brain. If you take my skull off, and poke around in my head things will start to happen to my personality, mannerisms, intelligence etc. When we die, brain function ceases and the brain will decay. If your brain is not there, you are not there.

That's why people claim to know there is no existence after you die.

The Bible, or Qu'ran, or Torah says when you die you either spend eternity chilling with Jesus/Mohammed/Moses or burning in agonizing flames forever and ever and ever.

That's why people claim to know there is an afterlife.

Still others believe you'll be reincarnated into new life, because that is what is taught by their religion.

None can say with absolute, concrete 100% certainty, but one seems more reasonable than the others.

Your happiness for me makes me happy.

Yeah, you do let people tell you what to believe because you were told by others that what's written in the Bible is true, and for whatever parts you cherry-pick, you believe what you've been told and now believe it so much so that you've internalized it as just inherent truth without realizing that you were persuaded by others, because there was no actual evidence to persuade you. You believe because others believed and their belief became yours.

And your 'belief' is blind faith, because you hold the belief despite any supporting evidence.

As a kid I let people tell me what to believe, as did most kids. Usually you believe what your parents believe, up until a certain point in your life. Since that point I've been making my own set of beliefs based on what I think makes the most sense. And as a result, I've never met someone who has the same exact beliefs as me.

Your happiness for me makes me happy.

Yeah, you do let people tell you what to believe because you were told by others that what's written in the Bible is true, and for whatever parts you cherry-pick, you believe what you've been told and now believe it so much so that you've internalized it as just inherent truth without realizing that you were persuaded by others, because there was no actual evidence to persuade you. You believe because others believed and their belief became yours.

And your 'belief' is blind faith, because you hold the belief despite any supporting evidence.

I still can't believe people say this. That there is no supporting evidence. There is no proof of course but no proof does not equal no evidence. If there was no evidence there would be a lot less apologetic books written on the matter. Not to say that the evidence is extraordinary enough to convince skeptics but good cases can be made whether for a deistic god or a personal God. I mean it changed Antony Flew's mind and Richard Dawkins even admitted it.

“The deist god would be one that I think it would be - one could make a reasonably respectable case for that, not a case that I would accept, but I think it is a serious discussion that we could have.” - Richard Dawkins

Yeah but don't ask for only scientific evidence for a supernatural being (wrong tools for the wrong job) and then claim that all other forms of evidence are not evidence. Maybe in your opinion it's not good evidence, or not convincing evidence, but don't say that there is no evidence and everyone who believes in a god is doing so completely by blind faith.

And I ask myself that too...especially this week of all weeks....very busy times.

I'm not advocating the existence of an alien living in my fridge. That was an example. I'm saying that the burden of proof rests upon the one making the positive claim. The fact that a lot of primitive tribes believed in a creator is as relevant as saying that the belief in the Earth being flat is older than the Earth being a sphere has more weight to it because it's an older idea. Primitive people had no way to understand what was really going on in the world, so they made up stories to try to explain it. Thunder is the sound of Thor's hammer, the tide is caused by Poseidon.

Except what I posted does have concrete evidence.

You could argue from a solipsistic view and that none of this is real because it can't be proven with 100% certainty. That's not cause to believe you're a brain in a jar.

I'm not talking about you here, because I know your point of view when it comes to a god. But then why is faith considered such a virtue in those religions?

It seems like they extol faith constantly, but then as soon as something that could pass for evidence comes along they go "See? SEE!? Proof!"

Archived