The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Why limit belief in god to such a fundie branch of believers who claim the world is only 6000 years old? MANY believers do not think that and the Hebrews certainly never believed that. Young earth creationism is a relatively new belief. Can that co-exist with science? Obviously not, but let's not limit religion or belief in a God to such foolish beliefs like that.

And Jesus = Horus. False. Though it is a common mythicist misconception. Did you get that info from the Zeitgeist? Just a word of caution to not believe everything you hear and check your sources mate.

Good to hear you admit that you do have some faith though in things that can't be proven :)

To help Heretic and JR here is the definition of anti-theism from The Skeptics Dictionary:

"Anti-theism is active and vocal opposition to belief in gods of any sort and to institutions built around belief in a deity. Anti-theists are not passive atheists; they delight in atheism and delight in exposing the errors, absurdities, and pretensions of theists. Anti-theists consider all gods to be false gods and any benefits from belief in gods to be far outweighed by the harm done by such beliefs to the individual and to society. Anti-theists don't deny that there may be some benefits to some people some of the time due to their delusional belief in a deity or two, but they adamantly deny that faith in religious books or ideas is a good thing."

Is this or is this not your stance JR?

If yes --> end debate

If no --> end debate

Some famous anti-theists include Lawrence Krauss and Christopher Hitchens.

@vanfan73

I'm going to let you research all those Horus vs. Christ parallel claims carefully and if you still believe all of them at a later date I'll respond. I'm going to assume you know how to unbiasedly critique each of those parallels to come to an answer that's not just Christian or Mythicist propaganda but rather the truth of the matter.

@vanfan73

I'm going to let you research all those Horus vs. Christ parallel claims carefully and if you still believe all of them at a later date I'll respond. I'm going to assume you know how to unbiasedly critique each of those parallels to come to an answer that's not just Christian or Mythicist propaganda but rather the truth of the matter.

Please do not confuse me with some random conspiracy sheep. I have a mind and can actually use it . I am not so easily swayed by some internet propaganda.

Some parallels between Horus and Jesus Christ:

1. Horus born of a virgin. <> Jesus born of a virgin.

2. The foster father of Horus was Seb or Seph. <> Jesus was fostered by Joseph.

3. Horus was of royal descent. <> Jesus was of royal descent.

4. Horus birth accompanied by three solar deities [star gazers] who followed by the morning star of Sirius bearing gifts. <> Jesus birth accompanied by three wise men [Zoroastrian star gazers] who followed by a star “in the east” bearing gifts.

5. The birth of Horus announced by angels. <> The birth of Jesus announced by angels.

6. Herut tried to murder the infant Horus. <> Herod slaughtered every first born in an attempt to kill Jesus the forthcoming messiah.

7. Horus is baptized at age 30 by Anup the Baptiser at a river. <> Jesus is baptized at age 30 by John the Baptist at a river.

8. Horus resists temptation by the evil Sut [sut was to be the precursor for the Hebrew Satan] on a high mountain. <> Jesus resists temptation by Satan on a high mountain.

9. Horus had 12 followers. <> Jesus had 12 disciples.

10. Horus performed miracles like healing the sick and walking on water. <> Jesus performed miracles like healing the sick and walking on water.

11. Horus raised someone from the grave [his father Osiris] <> Jesus raised Lazarus [notice the name similarity] from the grave. Lazarus is short for Elasarus - the “us” on the end is romanized. Elasarus was derived from “El-Asar” which was the name given to Osiris.

12. Horus was buried and resurrected in the city of Anu. <> The place Bethany mentioned in John was a derivative of the words “Bet” and “Anu” which translates “the house of Anu”. The ‘y’ on the end of bethany is interchangeable with the letter ‘u’.

13. Horus was killed by crucifixtion. <> Jesus was crucified.

14. Horus was accompanied by two thieves at the crucifixtion. <> Jesus was crucified with two thieves.

15. Horus was buried in a tomb at Anu. <> Jesus was buried in a tomb located in Bethany [bet-Anu].

16. Horus was resurrected after 3 days. <> Jesus was “said” to resurrected after over a period of three days.

17. The resurrection of Horus was announced by three women. <> The resurrection of Jesus was announced by three women.

18. Horus was given the titel KRST which means “anointed one” <> Jesus was given the title Christ [Christos] meaning “anointed one”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus a little excerpt : Horus served many functions in the Egyptian pantheon, most notably being the god of the sun, war and protection.

A little more fuel for thought. It is s quite clear through solid tangible evidence the story of Jesus is a plagiarism of HORUS

There is plenty more evidence that supports this read the concordance of the bible and you will start connecting the dots about the truth of Christianity. I was raised into the religion and when old enough to cast down my oppressive culture I have never been more enlightened and felt more spiritual.

Well one can be opposed to the belief in god (as displayed in the religions of the world) without be certain on whether god exists or not.

If you remember atheist used to mean "one who does not believe in god or gods" whereas now-a-days it typically means "one who lacks a belief in god or gods."

I would say just go with what you're more comfortable with calling yourself. To me you seem like an agnostic anti-theist haha.

Your new word of the week? :lol:

I tease, I tease. :P

And no, I'm not a miso-theist, because I can't hate what I don't see any evidence of actually existing. Conversely, I don't love that which I see no evidence of existing either.

However, if you're asking me if I hate the notion of a particular god, then you'd have to define which god, and i'd have to judge the stories associated with the characteristics of that god in the fables associated with it.

Science doesn't fight religion. It ignores it. (Right?)

However, those with an antitheistic agenda would use science to crucify religion.

The response from theists is usually, well, science can't disprove ghosts, ESP, visions, historical miracles, etc. or anything supernatural, so how can it disprove God, let lone religion?

The result is neverending debate from two sides with an unyielding agenda.

The problem with using science to disprove religion is that it is based on empiricism. Experience, evidence and sensory perception can only take the human mind so far. You can't use science to disprove what it cannot possibly reach.

While religion might be archaic, at least it attempts to explain the unexplainable, whereas those things are out of science's reach, and that's why science and religion are mutually exclusive.

The science vs. religion debate is folly, since by definition the sides can never come together. Still, i can see progress being made when science and religion do work together. It would be nice if scientists were able to open their minds a bit and if religious people realized that some of their archaic beliefs aren't even worth having.

Well...that's just wrong...

"Claim: Horus was conceived by a virgin mother named Meri, and had a stepfather named Seb (Joseph)

Truth: Horus was NOT conceived of a virgin. In fact both mural and textual evidence from Egypt indicate that Isis (there is no evidence that “Meri” was ever part of her name) hovered over the erect penis (that she created) of Osiris and conceived Horus. While she may have been a virgin before the conception, she utilizes Osiris’ penis to conceive. She later had another son with Osiris as well. There is no evidence of three wise men as part of the story at all (in neither Horus’ nor Jesus’ birth story for that matter!). Seb was actually the ‘earth god’, (earth itself, just as Nut was the sky); He was not Horus’ earthly father. Seb is NOT the equivalent of Joseph and, in most cases, he is described as Osiris’ father!"

http://www.pleasecon..._the_Horus_Myth

Archived