The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Many religions start as a reaction to other religions. For example, the religion of atheism is one based on the rejection of God. What we're witnessing is not a 'joke on christianity', but the outsider joining with the establishment. And every sermon, congregation and ceremony performed only goes toward that inevitability.

Wait and see. Scientology started with less. The common belief in no God among atheists is pretty strong. Strong enough to unite over certainy. The amount of 'funny ha-ha' atheist ministers is growing exponentially. Sooner or later there will be a prophet.

You could still be an atheist and not go to church though. Your choice.

Mennonite Brethren. It is a denomination of the Anabaptist movement. Though I grew up in such an environment, I do not consider other denominations to be untrue, nor do I subscribe 100% to the Mennonite Brethren confession of faith. It is simply where God has me now. With that said, there is also nothing I fully reject either in the MB confession of faith.

Did I? I'm terribly sorry. As for your question, nothing I guess. I just think life is more meaningful if there is an afterlife. Sure, it's great to excel in life, but in the end, it wouldn't have meant much since you would just be rotting in the ground. If there's no creator that is.

I don't have any answers, that's just how it seems to me.

You are misunderstanding me. I said that dialogue didn't exist on the big bang theory if there wasn't any research done on it. For example 500 years ago.

You made an assertion that the fine tuned argument didn't exist before cosmology. Which lead me to explain to you that obviously the argument didn't exist, because it is determined by the existence of the theory.

Christopher Hitchens said it himself, that the absence of evidence is evidence for absence. It is the fundamental belief of atheists. They see no evidence for the Creator, therefore he doesn't exist. You refute this?????????????????

Just HOW am I moving the goal post of the argument on God's existence? Are you implying that recent discoveries refute God's existence?? We already talked about this.

The Universe Shows No Evidence for Design

Victor J. Stenger

November 14, 2010

For the Oxford Dialogues in Christian Theism.

The Fine-Tuning Argument

In recent years many theologians and Christian apologists have convinced themselves that they have a knock-down argument for the existence of God. They claim that the parameters of physics are so finely tuned that if any one of them were just slightly different in value, life would have not been possible anywhere in the universe. Assuming, on no basis whatsoever, that those parameters are independent and could have taken on any value over a wide range, they conclude that the probability of a universe with the particular set of parameters as ours is infinitesimally small. Further assuming, on no basis whatsoever, that the probability of a divine creator is not equally infinitesimally small, they conclude that such a creator existed who fine-tuned the universe for life, particularly human life. Note that there is also no basis whatsoever to assume that this creator was the personal God worshipped by Christians. Muslims, and Jews. A deist creator works equally well.

[Cont'd]

http://www.colorado....cy/NoDesign.pdf

I cannot believe that people are trying to define athiesm as a religion , reminds of religion classes all through my school life , a person presents rational and logical reasons as to the facts of a certain matter , and the respondent fails to address them and continues to blindly believe what they believe is true

The Mennonite church in the Netherlands (Doopsgezinde Kerk) was the first Dutch church to have a female pastor—Anna Zernike—authorized in 1911.

Can you tell me what is the status of women in your church , has a women ever been the head of your church ?

also i was i have been watching a show for the last three weeks , meet the amish , apparently amish are not meant to grow flowers .

I am a flower farmer and i would like know why this is so ?

The church I grew up at had two female pastors.

I can't speak for the Amish community, though several Mennonite communities can be traced to them. I could only best explain it as the Amish community seek to live simple lives. Require no dependency on anything other than God. They foregone things like electricity, cars, basic technology what not. They eliminate these things to pursue a simple life... I can foresee the Amish community regard gardening and flowers as something against this type of lifestyle. Much like how a Buddhist would claim to "eliminate desire" or something to that effect.

I can't say for certain but that's my best bet.

Alright dude, we're talking on too many points with too little conclusions.

Let's go with this one - creation. I don't believe in the literal understanding of creationism as presented as Genesis 1+2. I believe they are to be read figuratively and poetically as the Hebrew language and structure suggests. You already know this about me, yet you pin it on me again and again?

The Universe Shows No Evidence for Design

Victor J. Stenger

November 14, 2010

For the Oxford Dialogues in Christian Theism.

The Fine-Tuning Argument

In recent years many theologians and Christian apologists have convinced themselves that they have a knock-down argument for the existence of God. They claim that the parameters of physics are so finely tuned that if any one of them were just slightly different in value, life would have not been possible anywhere in the universe. Assuming, on no basis whatsoever, that those parameters are independent and could have taken on any value over a wide range, they conclude that the probability of a universe with the particular set of parameters as ours is infinitesimally small. Further assuming, on no basis whatsoever, that the probability of a divine creator is not equally infinitesimally small, they conclude that such a creator existed who fine-tuned the universe for life, particularly human life. Note that there is also no basis whatsoever to assume that this creator was the personal God worshipped by Christians. Muslims, and Jews. A deist creator works equally well.

[Cont'd]

http://www.colorado....cy/NoDesign.pdf

can you please explain why hindu's treat women in this way

A girl died in Nepal's far-west after being buried under a landslide in a cow-shed, where she had been confined while menstruating, local media reported Thursday.

In the western districts of the country, girls are confined to sheds during menstruation, in a local tradition called chaupadi. They are forbidden to visit temples or enter the house during their period and are made to sleep in the cow-sheds.

Kumari Basnet, 16, was killed in a remote village in Jajarkot district on Monday night, when the shed was buried under a landslide, The Kathmandu Post daily reported.

Women are considered impure during menstruation in the Hindu tradition

The church I grew up at had two female pastors.

I can't speak for the Amish community, though several Mennonite communities can be traced to them. I could only best explain it as the Amish community seek to live simple lives. Require no dependency on anything other than God. They foregone things like electricity, cars, basic technology what not. They eliminate these things to pursue a simple life... I can foresee the Amish community regard gardening and flowers as something against this type of lifestyle. Much like how a Buddhist would claim to "eliminate desire" or something to that effect.

I can't say for certain but that's my best bet.

Alright dude, we're talking on too many points with too little conclusions.

Let's go with this one - creation. I don't believe in the literal understanding of creationism as presented as Genesis 1+2. I believe they are to be read figuratively and poetically as the Hebrew language and structure suggests. You already know this about me, yet you pin it on me again and again?

TML, can you honestly not see it for what it is? For those particular Atheists it's merely a comical "get them at their own game" gambit. It's mockery.

Do you think all Atheists are actually gathering around a floating, candled mass of spaghetti? And if you do actually find some group doing that, do you think they're actually AT ALL serious?

TML, can you honestly not see it for what it is? For those particular Atheists it's merely a comical "get them at their own game" gambit. It's mockery.

Do you think all Atheists are actually gathering around a floating, candled mass of spaghetti? And if you do actually find some group doing that, do you think they're actually AT ALL serious?

Atheism wasn't ever supposed to take that step. To actually set up a church in order to mock it? That's not mere peaceful non-belief. That's an aggressive, 'we're better than you' approach that is shared by most organized religions. This thread is proof that atheist activism is on the rise. That activism will only grow until atheism gets official religion status. Or the equivalent 'we're not a religion, but we want the same status, even though we're actually a religion' status that they'll want to cling to.

In any case i've seen many a sermon by an atheist preacher to indicate to me that atheism is so close to a religion that they might as well come out and admit it. But that'll never happen. It'll be like admitting there's a God to them. Both are no-no's in their belief system.

the pope is the head of the catholic church , who is the head of your church ? and has this person ever been a woman ?

I am referring to the fact that all the big religions treat women as second class citizens and stop them from holding positions of authority .

islam and judaism actually persecute women with their religious police and modesty patrols .

can you tell me why this is so ?

Archived