2034 replies to this topic

#1711 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I always thought the real high posters got there through GDTs and fantasy GM stuff.

Nein!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#1712 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

This just in: Less than 70% of Americans think Scientology is a religion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1713 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

I always thought the real high posters got there through GDTs and fantasy GM stuff.

Probably, I don't know, I was just messing around.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#1714 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

So...on the one hand I agree with you, but on the other, why can't Christians also honour them in their own way?

For example, this person(what's sad is the few atheists attacking because they don't like how this person is asking people to pray for the soldiers - it's a facebook page - if you (as an atheist) want to honour them in your way - then make your own page and stop attacking how others are doing it... :

http://www.facebook....them?ref=stream

"PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE, BUT DO NOT TELL ME TO TURN THE OTHER CHEEK AND JUST IGNORE IT. I AM TIRED OF DEDICATING MY TIME, ENERGY AND HEART ONLY TO BE ATTACKED BY A FACEBOOK MILITIA WHO SAYS DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.
I started "Honor Them"
on June 30, 2010. For the past several hours I have been the target (literally) of several Atheists who take issue with my request that some of you join me in prayer. I ask you all this of your own free will. What you choose to do is your decision. These attacks stemmed with 1 man who told me (repeatedly) that I do not honor them all because I publicly use the word pray. I explained to the 'gentleman' that I respect his beliefs and this is how I choose to run my page. Despite my attempts to end the conversation peacefully he continued to belittle all of my hard work and say that I was "wrong" in how I honor them. After asking him to please leave me alone several times I blocked him from the page. I exercised the utmost patience with this man and gave him ample opportunity to respect my beliefs as I respect his. However, this mutual respect was lost on him. This page is about respect, not fighting. However, now I have a bunch of Atheists attacking me in his defense. Is this really why I started this page? NO. Let me remind you that this is MY page. I welcome everyone else to start their own and honor them in the way that they CHOOSE to. WHY Is it always so necessary to attack? Anyone who chooses to attack me, know this, you are a cowardly cyber warrior if you have nothing better to do than attack someone who has done nothing but posted something on her own wall. Are you proud of yourself for attacking a woman via the internet? Are you proud that you have jumped to conclusions and come after a woman without all the facts? OR do you know the facts, but simply think that the only respect to be given should be directed at you? Should I just follow what you say like a lamb being led to slaughter? Or am I allowed to have my own beliefs? Am I not an American? Do I not have rights? Do I not have the freedom to say I PRAY? Anyone who thinks I am wrong for how I honor them, ask yourself this - Is there a wrong way to honor them? Isn't any form of gratitude and honor given important? OR IS IT ONLY ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BELIEFS? That's something you may really want to consider. The ME ME ME generation is getting old. ~ Amanda"

They should be able to, in the privacy of their home or place of worship with like-minded people. I find this "testimony" by Amanda to be self serving and incredibly disingenuous. She isn't respecting other's beliefs on a memorial page, she is asking people to pray with her with no regard of what their beliefs are. You have it backwards Heretic, she should have started a page geared towards prayer for the lost soldiers to attract like-minded individuals as opposed to the diverse group who have lost and who obviously have different views. Claiming the page as hers and then whining about the ME ME ME generation pretty much shows that Amanda is suffering from a severe lack of intelligence.
Posted Image

#1715 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

They should be able to, in the privacy of their home or place of worship with like-minded people. I find this "testimony" by Amanda to be self serving and incredibly disingenuous. She isn't respecting other's beliefs on a memorial page, she is asking people to pray with her with no regard of what their beliefs are. You have it backwards Heretic, she should have started a page geared towards prayer for the lost soldiers to attract like-minded individuals as opposed to the diverse group who have lost and who obviously have different views. Claiming the page as hers and then whining about the ME ME ME generation pretty much shows that Amanda is suffering from a severe lack of intelligence.

Don't forget hypocrisy. The religious are good at that one!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#1716 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

This just in: Less than 70% of Americans think Scientology is a religion.

Xenu's greatest triumph was convincing Americans that he doesn't exist. Fools. Muuuaahahahahahahaha.
Posted Image

#1717 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,696 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Name someone who denies being a hypocrite and you just named a liar.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#1718 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,696 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Those who don't like her views need not stay on her page.

The point was, the atheists attacking that page (who IMHO are actually anti theists - likes others here) - not what was on that page.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#1719 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Kinda like an Atheist standing for and/or reciting the Canadian National Anthem and/or carrying US currency in their bank account and wallet while reciting the pledge of allegiance.
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Posted Image Posted Image

#1720 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Name someone who denies being a hypocrite and you just named a liar.

Jesus

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#1721 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Kinda like an Atheist standing for and/or reciting the Canadian National Anthem and/or carrying US currency in their bank account and wallet while reciting the pledge of allegiance.

No. They didn't write that. That just happens to be whats in the lyrics/on the currency. By this logic, when you sing 'Santa Claus is coming to town' you're being a hypocrite, because you don't believe in Santa. When you read Harry Potter, you're a hypocrite because you don't actually believe in magic.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 02 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#1722 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I don't know whether to :picard: or :bigblush: :lol:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#1723 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Not at all. If I pray to Joe Pesci, then Joe's my god....and when I sing about God in Oh Canada, i'm simply asking Joe to keep Canada glorious and free. I request that Joe do this, because Joe gets s*** done....unlike, Allah, Yahweh, Zues, Santa, The Tooth Fairy.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#1724 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Not at all. If I pray to Joe Pesci, then Joe's my god....and when I sing about God in Oh Canada, i'm simply asking Joe to keep Canada glorious and free. I request that Joe do this, because Joe gets s*** done....unlike, Allah, Yahweh, Zues, Santa, The Tooth Fairy.

Who is Zues?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1725 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

How am I @#$%'ing funny?

Posted Image
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#1726 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Who is Zues?

Zeus's God-father, duh.

#1727 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

How am I @#$%'ing funny?

#1728 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,415 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

At least worldly sciences can be used to prove/disprove Joe Pesci.
Posted Image

#1729 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I reckon it's because he's not an insecure god and doesn't mind letting you know that he's around with a helping hand or a punch in the mouth. Joe Pesci is wise is his ways.

#1730 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Zeus's God-father, duh.

Pfft his godfather doesn't even actually exist.

Edited by Nevlach, 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1731 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

On the contrary at least his glaringly obvious existence proves he's real.
Posted Image

#1732 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Posted Image

#1733 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Pfft his godfather doesn't even actually exist.

Posted Image

#1734 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Whereas our scientific knowledge of the cosmos and universe is very fractional and extremely marginal at best.

Most people would laugh off the suggestion that leaving a pile of wood scattered around for billions of years will result in a beautiful rocking chair all by itself out of nothing. But an entire universe on the other hand is another story to some.

Having said that; now der'es two yutes...
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

#1735 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yay more failed logic...rocking chair = universe now! :lol:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#1736 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yay more failed logic...rocking chair = universe now! :lol:

Certainly not..the idea of an entire universe as we know/understand as well as perhaps more importantly how we don't know/understand coming to be as it is on its own is far more preposterous than a rocking chair.

#1737 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Most people would laugh off the suggestion that leaving a pile of wood scattered around for billions of years will result in a beautiful rocking chair all by itself out of nothing. But an entire universe on the other hand is another story to some.

Leaving a seed in the ground will result in a giant majestic tree all by itself.

Some things happen by themselves other things require human intervention.

#1738 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Whereas our scientific knowledge of the cosmos and universe is very fractional and extremely marginal at best.

Having said that; now der'es two yutes...

The irreducibly complex argument? Oh man, when I see tripe like this it becomes very apparent that the person spouting this nonsense rhetoric is merely parroting some "aha, gotcha!" statement they've overheard, without really thinking it through.

Your argument seems logical only on the surface. But your answer to the question is just silly. The world is too complex to have happened by itself. The answer? An infinitely more complex and improbable god, for which there is absolutely no proof, that has supernatural powers.

The conviction people have when using this type of illogical dialogue is frightening. You think it's very clever, but it really is not, at all. It's surface-level thinking.

#1739 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

So does less complexity give rise to more complexity or does more complexity give rise to less?

:huh:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1740 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

So does less complexity give rise to more complexity or does more complexity give rise to less?

:huh:

Well, if we take evolution as an example, we can clearly see how complexity develops slowly over time, incrementally. We have evidence of similar processes for most of the universe (galaxy formation, as another example). Something complex that gives rise to the overly simple? You have to look at the human mind to find that ;).

Edited by Remy, 03 October 2012 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.