Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

THN predicts Canucks to take The Cup this year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#61 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

Anybody who watched the team play this season knew they weren't going anywhere or winning anything meaningful.

You know,I was thinking that in game 5 when Gillis.org threw Luo under the bus and put themselves in the present situation.
Down 3 games to one,with your superstar winger coming back too early from a concussion and your Selke winner needing surgery and playing at half power for the last six months......I thought,what good can anything come of winning game 5 and continuing on with this charade? It became clear when the ice fog settled that management really can't see the ice for the exit.

#62 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Probably easier to guess the next Cup winner than to guess the Canucks' starting lineup. LA last year perfectly summed up how meaningless the regular season really is. I really don't care where the Canucks finish in the top 8, just so long as they enter the Playoffs on fire, with a hot goalie, flying forwards, and pissed off defencemen.

Edited by brewdog, 20 August 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#63 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

It's nice to see the media with positive predictions about the Canucks.

Knocking on wood here but shouldn't they be saying whoever beats the Canucks will go onto win the Stanley Cup. Once again knocking on wood here.

#64 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,020 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Right now, if the season and playoffs were to continue with the current rosters, the Kings would win the Cup again, with Carolina and Tampa Bay probably coming pretty close. These teams are both built for the playoffs, especially their top-6, deep defences and goaltenders.

The Canucks have a lot to do if they want to be considered contenders. We will not go far without more defensive depth and without a proper 3rd line offensive center who can put up 30-40 points. Our forwards have been bullied by big, physical defences in the last 2 playoff rounds and mustered up little offence, and our defence has been banged around by giant forwards and given up golden scoring opportunities.

In our last 10 playoff games the Canucks have been one of if not the worst playoff team lately and played absolutely disgustingly. We have a lot to fix up.
Posted Image

#65 CrousettCanuck

CrousettCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

This is like the second time in three years they put their money on us.

Wow.

well it's definitely a confidence booster, but we'll just have to wait and see.

#66 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

Right now, if the season and playoffs were to continue with the current rosters, the Kings would win the Cup again, with Carolina and Tampa Bay probably coming pretty close. These teams are both built for the playoffs, especially their top-6, deep defences and goaltenders.

The Canucks have a lot to do if they want to be considered contenders. We will not go far without more defensive depth and without a proper 3rd line offensive center who can put up 30-40 points. Our forwards have been bullied by big, physical defences in the last 2 playoff rounds and mustered up little offence, and our defence has been banged around by giant forwards and given up golden scoring opportunities.

In our last 10 playoff games the Canucks have been one of if not the worst playoff team lately and played absolutely disgustingly. We have a lot to fix up.

lol you can't be serious
Posted Image

#67 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

Unless Carolina solidify's their top 4 and Tampa gets a starter they won't stand a chance against the Pittsburgh's, Philly's, or New York Rangers. Sure Carolina has a sick top six and good bottom six, but their bottom three D isn't the best.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#68 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

You think EA is great at predicting because they picked a few obvious choices? It was fairly obvious that LA was going to win.

First of all, they don't pick anything, they run it through a simulator. Second of all the 8th seed that was gelling horribly and barely made the playoffs isnt a team that a logical person would pick as an obvious choice. Not only that, but they didnt only predicted the kings would win, but they also predicted the Devils who were also not an obvious choice and they predicted the exact number of games/wins for the kings to beat them. They got 13/15 results right in the 2011 playoffs, got the blackchawks right etc. They have been by far the best predictor in profressional sports history.

#69 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

You lost all credibility when you said Tampa had a goalie built for the playoffs... Like, say what now?

#70 darcyhallam

darcyhallam

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

I'm going to break stuff if the Rangers win.

thats happened before...

#71 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

When the Sedin's and Kesler were struggling, we gave a lot more puck and ice time to Hodgson in January. During that time we played some great hockey; won games to kill Detroit's home win streak, beat Boston in Beantown, San Jose and Anaheim in tight games. We looked pretty good at that time, and could have been killer when some of our big gun's came out of their funk?

And both goalies won massive games, stole victories and Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa were all scoring. There was a time last year when we were dominant!

But it was only a month...

Anybody who watched the team play this season knew they weren't going anywhere or winning anything meaningful. We're not the only ones who got "annihilated" by the Kings, who are clearly not an "eighth seed."

It's the same result in the end, is it not?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 20 August 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#72 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

Mate, your usually credible even when I disagree with you. Yer making us Aussie Canuck fans look bad here.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 20 August 2012 - 04:31 AM.

#73 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Didn't they (or someone else) predict Vancouver to beat Pittsburgh in 7 last year?

EA did

#74 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

EA did

EA predicted a Pittsburgh-Chicago Final. They were way off to say the least.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#75 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

Dude how old are you? Let me guess 18? 19?

Wake Up Vancouver, perhaps there's a reason VanCity is getting a bad rap from fans around the league, perhaps its true that the fans are just a bunch of little whining babies.

What the hell? So everyone who's under 19 does not understand hockey? Do not generalize like that dude.

#76 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

This team may not look like a great contender right now. If we get a servicable player or two in the Luongo deal and Schneider plays up to his capabilities, I think we could surprise some people and take the cup.

#77 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Beginning of season predictions are garbage. How could anyone factor injuries, trades, rookie progress, ups and downs of players, coaching, travel, health? You can't, it's all speculation and guessing. That being said, I think there is some merit to short term predictions for a 7 game series, as long as all these above factors are know. I'll have to admit, EA sports has been pretty good at those shorter term predictions.

#78 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

No Anaheim. Ha ha ha ha ha. Your predictions are gold DownUnda Gold I tell ya. Tampa Bay ??? Carolina ???

And the Kings would win again? Yeah cause it's easy to predict who will win the SC. You are hilarious. I will guarantee you right now that the Kings don't repeat. They were not that good, Daryl Sutter was the reason that team won it but playing your balls off doesn't work every time. I doubt they will have the desire again this year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if they missed the playoffs entirely.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#79 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

sutter > av
Posted Image

#80 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

In our last 10 playoff games the Canucks have been one of if not the worst playoff team lately and played absolutely disgustingly.

Sometimes I think you say absolutely inane things just to get a reaction.

P.S. Last I checked, our last 2 playoff series have been against 2 Stanley Cup champs with multiple injuries to our most valuable players.

dontforgettolentil.png

#81 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

that kind of thinking is precisely why we have no cups in 42 years
sc champs find ways to win it all

Edited by winacup, 20 August 2012 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

#82 Jay86

Jay86

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Waiting on EA sports.

like when they simulated game 7 and we beat boston 5-2 to win the cup..........

#83 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Canucks have the best chance in the west. I think Philadelphia or New York has the best chance in the east.

so do the Kings, Blues, and Preds
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#84 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

Sometimes I think you say absolutely inane things just to get a reaction.

P.S. Last I checked, our last 2 playoff series have been against 2 Stanley Cup champs with multiple injuries to our most valuable players.

that is the problem...we have players than cannot seem to last the enture playoff grind...
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#85 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Pittsburgh will not make it far into the playoffs unless they pick up 1 or 2 defenseman and a solid top 6 winger.

#86 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Stupid predictions.

People still voting for Pittsburgh after that catastrophe last season? They have done nothing to address that putrid defense of theirs and they lost Staal (yes, they replaced him with a solid 3C but J. Staal > Sutter any way you spin it). Oh, and their wingers (aside from Neal) are nothing special.

I wouldn't bet on us either. We need to make some upgrades for sure.

I have to agree with your take on Pittsburgh. Vegas odds have Pittsburgh with the best chance to win the Cup, yet they couldn't get out of the first round with a healthy Crosby and Jordan Staal against a terrible goalie.

Not sure why so many sources have them rated so high when Crosby is one hit away from being out for the season, (Malkin is very injury prone as well) and Fleury starting to turn into Luongo.
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#87 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I received my Hockey News annual in the mail and noticed that the editors of THN are predicting the Canucks will beat Pittsburgh to win the Stanley Cup.
They are comparing the Nucks recently playoff losses to those from Detroit a few years back before the Wings won their first cup in the modern era.
Should this prediction be viewed as a pleasant surprise or a jinx?
(Sorry if this repeats, but I did a topic search for THN predictions and only came up with fantasy point total projections).

Are you referring to the THN Yearbook? I'm still waiting for that in the mail.

#88 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Don`t worry. J Toews will expose us for what we really are. :bigblush:

#89 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

every team we have lost to in the playoffs has exposed us for what we really are
Posted Image

#90 gwarrior

gwarrior

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

seeing as how THN picked washington to beat chicago in the final this past season, im taking their prediction with a grain of salt. but it would be nice if we could finally win one.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.