Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

US Senate Nominee: Rape Victims Automatically Shut Down Pregnancy. No need for Abortions.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

http://thenewcivilri...012/08/19/46974

Todd Akin, a Tea Party Republican six-term U.S. Congressman who is now running for the U.S. Senate from the state of Missouri, says that women’s bodies know if they are “legitimate rape” victims and automatically can just “shut down” a resulting unwanted pregnancy — so there’s no need to even discuss abortion in cases of rape.
Asked about abortion in cases of rape, Rep. Akin responded, “From what I understand from doctors… if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
Congressman Akin was appearing on a local St. Louis Fox station talk show (second video, about four minutes in.)
Akin, 65, clearly is opposed to a women’s right to choose, is running against Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill.
So, let’s be clear here. If Congressman Akin becomes Senator Akin, he will be voting on Supreme Court nominees — not to mention many nominations of federal judges. No doubt at some point he would be voting on ENDA, and the repeal of DOMA.
If you know anyone in Missouri, send to to them.

#2 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

"Republican" is a nicer word for "idiot".

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#3 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

He has issued a statement stating he "miss-spoke" .. no shat, Sherlock .. not to worry tho .. Romney/Ryan immediately issued a statement that in the case of rape, they would not oppose abortion .. flip-flop anyone??

Edited by Tearloch7, 19 August 2012 - 07:33 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

That's an insult to idiots.
Posted Image

#5 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Crass stupidity.......... how do you 'mis-speak' something like that?

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#6 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Crass stupidity.......... how do you 'mis-speak' something like that?

When you say what you think.

And by "you" I mean Republicans.

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 19 August 2012 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#7 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm still waiting for an explanation between what a 'legitimate rape' is versus an 'illegitimate rape'.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#8 CanuckClown

CanuckClown

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Many Republicans are idiots - that's a given. These poor souls are socially regressive and bankrupt. Yet, whether one is a Dem, Rep, Lib, Cons, NDP etc, they all play the same game and adhere to the same rules. Sadly, the general populace believes they gain agency via these petty news stories. Hence, politics will always remain a sideshow. The meta narrative which dictates society - that is the increased free flowing movement of capital - will continue.

Human's rights, values and dignity will continually be encroached so long as the general discourse remains. Trust me when I say the answers to society's woes don't exist within main stream media. If anyone believes they do, or even feels they have the pulse on what truly ales society, then you can expect our degenerative cycle to continue.

Cheers!

#9 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

the fact people like this are public officials is really disturbing

michelle bachman is the other, who proposed to abolish the dept of education.

when the leaders are morons, the country goes into the tank. GW bush is a good example.
Posted Image

#10 CanuckClown

CanuckClown

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

the fact people like this are public officials is really disturbing

michelle bachman is the other, who proposed to abolish the dept of education.

when the leaders are morons, the country goes into the tank. GW bush is a good example.

The United States, and the "West" in general, was tanking long before good 'ole W. One could cite Thatcher and Reagan, the Oil Crisis, or perhaps even the Great Depression. Regardless, blaming the current problems on a single person is lazy and stupid.

#11 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Many Republicans are idiots - that's a given. These poor souls are socially regressive and bankrupt. Yet, whether one is a Dem, Rep, Lib, Cons, NDP etc, they all play the same game and adhere to the same rules. Sadly, the general populace believes they gain agency via these petty news stories. Hence, politics will always remain a sideshow. The meta narrative which dictates society - that is the increased free flowing movement of capital - will continue.

Human's rights, values and dignity will continually be encroached so long as the general discourse remains. Trust me when I say the answers to society's woes don't exist within main stream media. If anyone believes they do, or even feels they have the pulse on what truly ales society, then you can expect our degenerative cycle to continue.

Cheers!

So true .. until we start building "solar-powered-guillotine's", and are willing to use them, "they" will continue to try and grind "human values" back into the Dark Ages ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#12 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm still waiting for an explanation between what a 'legitimate rape' is versus an 'illegitimate rape'.

I think he means that in any instance when a woman becomes pregnant, it was an illegitimate rape. Another way of phrasing his argument is that if you become pregnant, the sex was consensual, therefore, you weren't really raped.

I'm amazed at how these people keep getting elected...

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#13 CanuckClown

CanuckClown

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

I think he means that in any instance when a woman becomes pregnant, it was an illegitimate rape. Another way of phrasing his argument is that if you become pregnant, the sex was consensual, therefore, you weren't really raped.

I'm amazed at how these people keep getting elected...

Why are you amazed? I think you and I both know that deep down inside you realize there is very little substance to politics. Any modern election is equal to numerous other television shows or sporting events. It becomes a "race" whereby irrational fans route for their team. Why they cheer for that team is no longer the issue.

#14 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

It's good to know we have geniuses like this serving on the Science and Technology committee.

What he said was so outrageous I thought I was reading an article from the Onion. And the GOP wonders why people think they are a joke...

#15 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

The scary thing is that alot of Americans will believe and buy into what this preacher says. I thought we had seen the last of "W", but this guy will carry the banner of stupidity proudly. These people actually graduate with a degree in Theology?

#16 Beer-League-Goalie

Beer-League-Goalie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm in favour of the death penalty for people like this if only because we don't want them to father any more children.

#17 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Posted Image

Edited by M A K A V E L I 96, 19 August 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

#18 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

People like this are the strongest argument possible in favour of abortion. If only their mothers had made a different choice.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#19 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Why are you amazed? I think you and I both know that deep down inside you realize there is very little substance to politics. Any modern election is equal to numerous other television shows or sporting events. It becomes a "race" whereby irrational fans route for their team. Why they cheer for that team is no longer the issue.

Totally agree. A lot of people from all sides buy too much into labels instead of thinking for themselves. I bet thousands of Republicans will agree with this moron, just because he's one of their own. Why anyone would actually cheer for any part of the government is beyond me. People should be criticizing and questioning everything the government does, no matter who they are. Democrats vs. Republicans isn't the real battle, it's citizens vs. government/corruption.

#20 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

One of the few times I've ever done this.

:picard:

#21 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,660 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

People like this are the strongest argument possible in favour of abortion. If only their mothers had made a different choice.

I think moreso its an argument for better education. But I understand your desire for hyperbole. This guy didn't "mis-speak", he stated what he thought, and what he thought was atrociously wrong. We need more intelligent people in politics.

#22 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

The US has some of the dumbest politicians in the world. It makes me laugh.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#23 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

The United States, and the "West" in general, was tanking long before good 'ole W. One could cite Thatcher and Reagan, the Oil Crisis, or perhaps even the Great Depression. Regardless, blaming the current problems on a single person is lazy and stupid.

Most of this can be blamed on Jesus.

#24 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Anyone get the impression that he's trying to lose?

Edited by TimberWolf, 20 August 2012 - 10:10 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#25 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#26 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Anyone get the impression that he's trying to lose?

The scary thing is, it might not work....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#27 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

The scary thing is, it might not work....

Ha ha ha .. this guy would fit right in the Senate .. poster child material .. :lol:

#28 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm pretty sure the Christian republicans would not stand for someone using the term "legitimate rape". That would surely go against everything they stand for, right!! RIGHT!
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#29 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

http://video.msnbc.m...w-show/48732520

Edited by Jaimito, 20 August 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

http://video.msnbc.m...w-show/48732520

Very scary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.