The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Senate Nominee: Rape Victims Automatically Shut Down Pregnancy. No need for Abortions.

hsedin33

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/us-congressman-rape-victims-bodies-shut-down-pregnancies-automatically-no-need-for-abortion/politics/2012/08/19/46974

Todd Akin, a Tea Party Republican six-term U.S. Congressman who is now running for the U.S. Senate from the state of Missouri, says that women’s bodies know if they are “legitimate rape” victims and automatically can just “shut down” a resulting unwanted pregnancy — so there’s no need to even discuss abortion in cases of rape.

Asked about abortion in cases of rape, Rep. Akin responded, “From what I understand from doctors… if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Congressman Akin was appearing on a local St. Louis Fox station talk show (second video, about four minutes in.)

Akin, 65, clearly is opposed to a women’s right to choose, is running against Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill.

So, let’s be clear here. If Congressman Akin becomes Senator Akin, he will be voting on Supreme Court nominees — not to mention many nominations of federal judges. No doubt at some point he would be voting on ENDA, and the repeal of DOMA.

If you know anyone in Missouri, send to to them.

Many Republicans are idiots - that's a given. These poor souls are socially regressive and bankrupt. Yet, whether one is a Dem, Rep, Lib, Cons, NDP etc, they all play the same game and adhere to the same rules. Sadly, the general populace believes they gain agency via these petty news stories. Hence, politics will always remain a sideshow. The meta narrative which dictates society - that is the increased free flowing movement of capital - will continue.

Human's rights, values and dignity will continually be encroached so long as the general discourse remains. Trust me when I say the answers to society's woes don't exist within main stream media. If anyone believes they do, or even feels they have the pulse on what truly ales society, then you can expect our degenerative cycle to continue.

Cheers!

the fact people like this are public officials is really disturbing

michelle bachman is the other, who proposed to abolish the dept of education.

when the leaders are morons, the country goes into the tank. GW bush is a good example.

Many Republicans are idiots - that's a given. These poor souls are socially regressive and bankrupt. Yet, whether one is a Dem, Rep, Lib, Cons, NDP etc, they all play the same game and adhere to the same rules. Sadly, the general populace believes they gain agency via these petty news stories. Hence, politics will always remain a sideshow. The meta narrative which dictates society - that is the increased free flowing movement of capital - will continue.

Human's rights, values and dignity will continually be encroached so long as the general discourse remains. Trust me when I say the answers to society's woes don't exist within main stream media. If anyone believes they do, or even feels they have the pulse on what truly ales society, then you can expect our degenerative cycle to continue.

Cheers!

I think he means that in any instance when a woman becomes pregnant, it was an illegitimate rape. Another way of phrasing his argument is that if you become pregnant, the sex was consensual, therefore, you weren't really raped.

I'm amazed at how these people keep getting elected...

Why are you amazed? I think you and I both know that deep down inside you realize there is very little substance to politics. Any modern election is equal to numerous other television shows or sporting events. It becomes a "race" whereby irrational fans route for their team. Why they cheer for that team is no longer the issue.

Archived