The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN-CHI (Realistic)

Provided the Canucks and Panthers have a deal in principle and are just waiting on timing for it to go through, with the deal centering around Matthias, Ellerby and a pick for Luongo+X, this is what I would be comfortable with sending Chicago's way.

This deals from a position of strength, and assumes the Edler contract extension negotiations don't go according to plan (IE his agent demanding he make more than the allotted 4.6 max currently awarded to Bieksa and Garrison as per the internal salary structure).

To Chicago:

Alex Edler

Jordan Shroeder

1st Round pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Patrick Sharp

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Why each team does this:

Vancouver gets a playmaking winger to play with Booth and Kesler (once healthy) and a far less offensive but equally defensively adept defenceman at the expense of a difficult to negotiate potential Norris candidate defenceman on the last year of a contract. The key here is that Hjalmarsson is not just a throw in, he's a big body capable of handling the bigger forwards in the league while maintaining defensive responsibility. Paired with Garrison who is another very solid defender with offensive upside, it gives the Canucks essentially 2 shut down pairings, maintaining offensive capability on each pairing.

Chicago does this as they have a glut of young burgeoning offensive talent on their roster who will all be vying for roster spots. They shore up their defensive core and should have ample time to negotiate a new deal with Edler before he's anywhere near heading into July 1st as a UFA. Chicago also adds to their stable of young talent with Schroeder nearly NHL ready, if he's not already there and add what should amount to a late 1st round pick in a deep draft.

This is how the Canuck's roster would shape up after the trade (including the Luongo deal)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Patrick Sharp ($5.900m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Shawn Matthias ($0.852m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Dan Ellis ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,821,625; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,378,375

We should't downgrade on defence... I really like how our top six looks right now

Sharp would fit in well on the second line but Kassian should get a shot and Higgy seems to play well on the AMEX line, not to mention mase should be given a chance to bounce back with a few games early on in the year on the 2nd so that he doesn't just sit in the press box.

I wouldn't go for that, although if we don't think we can give Edler more than $4.6M, we might as well trade him right now, since there's no way he makes less than that on his next contract. It might be a couple of years with more money on the extension if we're worried about consistency, but even longer term he makes $5M+ after factoring in the discount.

If you think he's getting moved because he asks for more than $4.6M and we don't want to give it to him, what makes you think Gillis would bring back two players with $5.9M (for 5 more years!) and $3.5M cap hits.

Look at it from the top players perspective

Sharp for Edler

Schroeder + 1st for Hjalmarsson

I'd do the deal any day, to be honest. I love what Sharp brings to the table. He's one of the most consistent players you'll find. I think the deal is fair. We're giving more for hjalmarsson, but giving less for sharp.

Just my opinion. I'd love to hear what you think, so reply to my comment.

~Canucks forever

Provided the Canucks and Panthers have a deal in principle and are just waiting on timing for it to go through, with the deal centering around Matthias, Ellerby and a pick for Luongo+X, this is what I would be comfortable with sending Chicago's way.

This deals from a position of strength, and assumes the Edler contract extension negotiations don't go according to plan (IE his agent demanding he make more than the allotted 4.6 max currently awarded to Bieksa and Garrison as per the internal salary structure).

To Chicago:

Alex Edler

Jordan Shroeder

1st Round pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Patrick Sharp

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Why each team does this:

Vancouver gets a playmaking winger to play with Booth and Kesler (once healthy) and a far less offensive but equally defensively adept defenceman at the expense of a difficult to negotiate potential Norris candidate defenceman on the last year of a contract. The key here is that Hjalmarsson is not just a throw in, he's a big body capable of handling the bigger forwards in the league while maintaining defensive responsibility. Paired with Garrison who is another very solid defender with offensive upside, it gives the Canucks essentially 2 shut down pairings, maintaining offensive capability on each pairing.

Chicago does this as they have a glut of young burgeoning offensive talent on their roster who will all be vying for roster spots. They shore up their defensive core and should have ample time to negotiate a new deal with Edler before he's anywhere near heading into July 1st as a UFA. Chicago also adds to their stable of young talent with Schroeder nearly NHL ready, if he's not already there and add what should amount to a late 1st round pick in a deep draft.

This is how the Canuck's roster would shape up after the trade (including the Luongo deal)

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Dan Ellis ($1.200m)

------

Sharp for Edler

I'd do the deal any day, to be honest. I love what Sharp brings to the table. He's one of the most consistent players you'll find. I think the deal is fair. We're giving more for hjalmarsson, but giving less for sharp.

~Canucks forever

Sharp for Edler

~Canucks forever

I don't mind trading with Chicago really, they aren't much of a rival. We only play them 4 times a year and have met in the playoffs a few times. Much of the so called rivalry in most fans minds is really just coincidence coupled with poor play on the Canucks side (which could have happened against any team).

To Chicago:

Alex Edler

Jordan Shroeder

1st Round pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Patrick Sharp

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Why each team does this:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Dan Ellis ($1.200m)

------

I know most of you Canucks fans think this is an overpayment on your part, but I can tell you as a Blackhawks fan I would not do this deal. Sharp is one of the key components to our team and nobody knows if Jordan Shroeder will even play in the NHL. You're asking us to give up a top 6 forward and top 4 defense for a top 4 defense, in the long term the deal may even out a bit but Chicago doesn't been to worry about the long term. We have a boat load of prospects that would be ahead of Shroeder. Also, there's no guarantee we'd have Edler beyond this season when we'd have Hjalmarsson for one more and Sharp for 5.

Edler would be nice to have on any team, but he's not the type of guy we need right now. We need somebody more like Hamhuis for our 2nd pairing.

The only type of trade that would be realistic between Chicago and Vancouver would be minor, with the biggest beging something like Frolik for Raymond.

Sharp isn't a playmaker, and if this were a realistic proposal, Hossa should be included because CHI is unsure about his health, and we need that dynamic offensive player if he is healthy.

It's a gamble, but if our Doc's say he's okay to play by October or November, we'd have such a stacked top 6.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Hossa

Sharp isn't a playmaker, and if this were a realistic proposal, Hossa should be included because CHI is unsure about his health, and we need that dynamic offensive player if he is healthy.

It's a gamble, but if our Doc's say he's okay to play by October or November, we'd have such a stacked top 6.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Hossa

Archived