The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting a dog!

Versace

I just got a dog last month (Purebred Maltese) and it has honestly been the best decision my family has made!

The little guy is always so energetic and so fun to play with.

426690_10152027515585335_873874113_n.jpg

Here's him staring out the front door, one of his favorite things to do!

My wife and I have both a French Bulldog and a Boston Terrier. I would recommend a Boston Terrier if you were to only have one. I grew up with Cairn Terriers, while my wife had Golden Retrievers.

Cairn Terriers are also pretty good if you leave them alone for the day. Boston Terriers have a lot of energy, so daily walks are needed to keep them satisfied.

We love our French Bulldog, but they are good if you pair them with another dog to keep them company. They get incredibly lonely if you are not around, and are pretty stubborn for house training.

i have a sh*tzu-bijon (sorry i had to do that the swearing detector thingy changed it to crapzu)

relatively small dogs, are hypo-allergenic, does not shed, listens to commands (if trained well), and i am not sure if this is just really rare with my dog or not but i have heard him bark litterally twice. He has a really relaxed personality and is good to stay at home for a lengthly period of time.

i have a sh*tzu-bijon (sorry i had to do that the swearing detector thingy changed it to crapzu)

relatively small dogs, are hypo-allergenic, does not shed, listens to commands (if trained well), and i am not sure if this is just really rare with my dog or not but i have heard him bark litterally twice. He has a really relaxed personality and is good to stay at home for a lengthly period of time.

There is no such thing as a low maintenance dog. They need your love, care and attention all the time. Sounds like maybe you should get a cat if you are looking for a pet to have during certain times of the day only. Cats are much more independent.

Whatever you decide on, go to the SPCA and give an animal a chance to live and be loved for many more years.

:towel::canucks:

Shi'tzu are very intelligent, usually independent, do not shed AND would be buddies with Ballard's Shi'tzu .. we have had two for several years and they are great dogs .. I am a Golden Retriever/Scotch Collie kinda guy, but they need space and a lot of care .. Shi'tzu's are a very happy alternative and they are NOT yappy unless you let them be when they are young ..

So I am planning on getting a dog next June and I was wondering which type of dog I should get. I want a small - medium size dog that is capable of being left alone while no one is home (7 hours a day) that does not smell, shedding minimally, likes to stay inside (dont have a fenced backyard) and that is intelligent. Thanks in advance! This is my first dog so I want a low maintanence dog.

If your going for a small-medium dog, I'd go with a Bulldog or Pug...both are pretty cool

However, if you want an AMAZING dog that might grow a little bit bigger, I recommend an AKITA hands down.

And they're smart. They are trained as both guide dogs and police dogs in Japan and here in N

Archived