The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting a dog!

Versace

If it's going to be indoors all day, dogs aren't the right option.

Still, if you are set on getting a dog, and don't want to let it have hours outside every day, get a small dog that can run around inside the house

Guest Gumballthechewy

-edit-

Actually I just read your original post, first dog, low maintenance, minimal shedding, needs to be left alone for seven hours, no yard. Ha ha!

Never mind, don't get a huskie!

Get one of these:

Well not one of those, I mean a huskie in general. Well don't just run out and get a dog without knowing anything about them.

May I?

Ehem...

If you want a companion and not a guard dog, huskies make piss poor guard dogs but they will love the s*** out of you. However if you're not going to be home a lot then defiantly do not get a huskie.

Huskies shed like mad! so there that too. Some, not all. Out of the three I have only one sheds constantly, the other sheds twice a year and the last one is too young and hast shed yet.

Contrary to popular belief huskies can handle hot weather just fine, their fur insulates them against heat as well as cold. NEVER shave a huskie or any other type of dog for that matter.

They are the smartest dogs you will ever own, many people seem to think they aren't very smart because to get a huskie to obey you you must be the dominate one the relationship NO exceptions! If fact they have the largest brain to body mass ratio of all dogs.

Again they are not guard dogs. Lots of people (I've noticed) seem to be afraid of them because they think they look like wolves (they don't really, not pure breds anyway) but the only thing they'll do to an intruder is love them to death.

Do not get a wolf hybrid! You may think its cool to have a half wolf dog but they are unpredictable and dangerous and huskie/wolf hybrids give pure bred huskies a bad reputation.

Bottom line if you seriously consider a huskie think really carefully about it, huskies are most definitely not for everyone. They take a lot of work (if you think a normal dog is hard to raise do not get a huskie plain and simple) and need a lot of exercise to keep them worn out if you don't want them to wear themselves out chewing the crap out of your house. They need lots of companionship, they are pack animals and without a constant pack they will become frustrated and they will take out that frustration on your house. Have you ever watched Marly and Me? Just imagine that only ... maybe 5x worse if left alone too long/much and/or not enough exercise.

I've had many different types of dogs in my life (German shepherds, border collies, labs and retrievers) and I will never again own another dog other then a huskie, and I love dogs! (Well not so much those little rat things that pass as dogs nowadays)

A little food for thought.

If you have any questions about huskies feel free to ask.

Shi'tzu are very intelligent, usually independent, do not shed AND would be buddies with Ballard's Shi'tzu .. we have had two for several years and they are great dogs .. I am a Golden Retriever/Scotch Collie kinda guy, but they need space and a lot of care .. Shi'tzu's are a very happy alternative and they are NOT yappy unless you let them be when they are young ..

well good luck to your dog. hope that you are dedicated to the dog's needs and not just focused on how the dog can fill your own desires.

things you cannot do easily when you own a dog and you live alone:

• join friends out after school/work for a drink

• avoid the outdoors despite bad weather

• find suitable housing to rent

• go on vacation

Go to animal planet and search for "dog 101" and it tells you all the good and bad about dogs. We have a Maltese. They are smart dogs but their inheritant traits are they have a problem with learning not to pee in the house and you have to get their teeth cleaned every couple years. Besides that they are small, don't shed, very, very loyal and can be easily trained. Nothing like coming home to a dog that is really excited to see you. When you do get a dog you will find it very tough to travel. If you do get a dog have a family member watch it when you go away. Do not put it into a dog kennel. Small dogs do not do well in them.

well good luck to your dog.  hope that you are dedicated to the dog's needs and not just focused on how the dog can fill your own desires.

things you cannot do easily when you own a dog and you live alone:

• join friends out after school/work for a drink

• avoid the outdoors despite bad weather

• find suitable housing to rent

• go on vacation

Two of those I don't see to be a problem.1. Despite the weather, I take my dogs for walks, and I live in Manitoba.2. My wife and I go on vacation at least twice a year. All we do is pay to have our dogs boarded. Very simple.The other two are very true. Especially staying out late. My wife and I always have to leave early, usually 9:00pm latest in order to come home on let our dogs out.

So I am planning on getting a dog next June and I was wondering which type of dog I should get. I want a small - medium size dog that is capable of being left alone while no one is home (7 hours a day) that does not smell, shedding minimally, likes to stay inside (dont have a fenced backyard) and that is intelligent. Thanks in advance! This is my first dog so I want a low maintanence dog.

Anyone have any advice in trying to get an american eskimo to stop lashing out at other dogs? I got him when he was 2 years old when a tenant was going to send him to a shelter and is generally behaved. I've been able to teach him the normal commands ie. sit, lie down, etc, he's completely fine indoors and outdoors. He was a pain to walk at the beginning but he's become much more behaved on a leash. He's fine with female dogs and I've been able to desensitize him to 1 male dog, but any others he tries to chase after and attack.

Archived