The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting a dog!

Versace

Guest Gumballthechewy

Anyone have any advice in trying to get an american eskimo to stop lashing out at other dogs? I got him when he was 2 years old when a tenant was going to send him to a shelter and is generally behaved. I've been able to teach him the normal commands ie. sit, lie down, etc, he's completely fine indoors and outdoors. He was a pain to walk at the beginning but he's become much more behaved on a leash. He's fine with female dogs and I've been able to desensitize him to 1 male dog, but any others he tries to chase after and attack.

I am only 15 so I wont be moving out any time soon. The new private school I go to is easier than my old private school so I have alot of time to spend with him after 3 and even a short walk around 7 am and one in the afternoon. I like cats but no one else in my house does so no to them. Fencing my backyard soon and it is a decent size so it will be good. I play hockey so that takes some time put of his ''play time'' but im sure I can tire him out. I will mainly take care of the dog with my mother (sister is lazy so she wont).

Guest Gumballthechewy

If you have family at home, like someone that's there all the time or so that there's someone around at all times, that will make raising any dog a whole lot easier.

Just pick a few breeds you like and go and talk to a breeder, read the crap outta them online, just do some reasearch and then pick the one you feel suits you and your life style the best.

Anyone have any advice in trying to get an american eskimo to stop lashing out at other dogs? I got him when he was 2 years old when a tenant was going to send him to a shelter and is generally behaved. I've been able to teach him the normal commands ie. sit, lie down, etc, he's completely fine indoors and outdoors. He was a pain to walk at the beginning but he's become much more behaved on a leash. He's fine with female dogs and I've been able to desensitize him to 1 male dog, but any others he tries to chase after and attack.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Cesar Milan hardly invented this method of dog training. And besides, if I was regurgitating Dog Whisperer I'd encourage him to do the alpha rolls.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I've tried that method back when I first started working with dogs... Yea, with some dogs it was fine but one time, the dog jumped up afterward and began tearing into my arm. Still got the scars 8 years later.

Archived