116 replies to this topic

#61 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have a Maltese sh*tzu Pomeranian poodle cross. And he doesn't shed at all. It's called a multipoo I believe.

My friend has one and it used to hump everyone when it was a puppy. They really like bare legs...lol

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#62 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

You shouldn't get a dog at all. Your dog will be miserable.

Sounds like you need a couple more friends instead.

#63 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Im asking for help finding a dog and if you can't help then piss off.

#64 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

We have been very fortunate to own an AKC registered 13" tricoloured beagle. He is gentle, great with kids, and believe or not, because of their reputation, he is very calm and quiet. When I am in my study, he would rather sit at my feet.

We found that talking with a true breeder who knows what they are doing, and understands the breed, can help identify some of the traits that you are looking for--I am not talking about a puppy mill owner that sits in the Wal-mart parking lot every other week. While our dog's stock comes from a hunting pack, he is the laziest dog I have ever seen.

You do get what pay for, and you get what you train your dog to do. Being a responsible owner is not just feeding and walking it twice a day, rather it means training your dog by incentivizing the desired behaviour and using their natural tendencies to acheive the results you want. This takes a lot of time, and a lot of discipline on your part. But that type of investment is worth it.

#65 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

We have been very fortunate to own an AKC registered 13" tricoloured beagle. He is gentle, great with kids, and believe or not, because of their reputation, he is very calm and quiet. When I am in my study, he would rather sit at my feet.

We found that talking with a true breeder who knows what they are doing, and understands the breed, can help identify some of the traits that you are looking for--I am not talking about a puppy mill owner that sits in the Wal-mart parking lot every other week. While our dog's stock comes from a hunting pack, he is the laziest dog I have ever seen.

You do get what pay for, and you get what you train your dog to do. Being a responsible owner is not just feeding and walking it twice a day, rather it means training your dog by incentivizing the desired behaviour and using their natural tendencies to acheive the results you want. This takes a lot of time, and a lot of discipline on your part. But that type of investment is worth it.

Will the beagle be good for me? I really like Beagles or Puggles and I am willing to take it out for an extra walk or to a dog park.

#66 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Will the beagle be good for me? I really like Beagles or Puggles and I am willing to take it out for an extra walk or to a dog park.

Whatever you do don't mix them. We have a puggle and the thing is insanely needy, always running around. You'll run out of energy well before they do

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#67 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Go to several shelters and tell them what you're looking for, and match you with a suitable dog. Any reputable organization will not let you take a dog that they don't feel is suited to your lifestyle/experience level, and they will take the dog back should you decide that it's just not working out. Don't just go to the SPCA, there's many other shelters out there that need adopters just as much, if not more, because they aren't as well known. You should also check out http://www.petfinder.com/ ...you can search for dogs in shelters within your area and search for a specific breed, size, age, and several other things

Edited by That's What She Said, 20 August 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#68 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Why?

I may have misunderstood this quoted post OP, so sorry caddilac if I did, but there is always this crowd that tries to convince you not to get a dog when you want one. Some will look at the fact your going to be away from home for 7 hours and say, "Oh no. Don't get a dog. You have to take good care of a dog!" Our shelters are overpopulated. If you want a dog, adopt one. If your going to be home for a bit, get a dog walker or a pet sitter.

Don't listen to people who try to talk you out of it, if you feel you can provide one with enough love. Whenever I go on a youtube video about a certain breed, there's always a high rated comment saying, "DON'T GET THIS DOG IF YOU CAN'T CUDDLE WITH IT 24/7." FFS.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#69 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

POPULAR

Why?

I may have misunderstood this quoted post OP, so sorry caddilac if I did, but there is always this crowd that tries to convince you not to get a dog when you want one. Some will look at the fact your going to be away from home for 7 hours and say, "Oh no. Don't get a dog. You have to take good care of a dog!" Our shelters are overpopulated. If you want a dog, adopt one. If your going to be home for a bit, get a dog walker or a pet sitter.

Don't listen to people who try to talk you out of it, if you feel you can provide one with enough love. Whenever I go on a youtube video about a certain breed, there's always a high rated comment saying, "DON'T GET THIS DOG IF YOU CAN'T CUDDLE WITH IT 24/7." FFS.

Why?

He wants a dog that doesn't shed = yay! I don't have to clean up after a pet!
He wants a dog that doesn't smell = yay! I never have to bathe my pet!
He wants a dog that likes to stay inside = yay! I rarely have to take the time to play with my dog outside!
He wants a dog that is intelligent = yay! I barely have to train him at all!

Read between the lines and he sounds like a lazy person in general. Lazy owners generally produce terrible dogs. As a pitbull owner, i realize how big of an issue this can be.
It sounds like he wants the perks of having a pet (love I guess?) without having to actually put in any work.
Not to mention I don't think it's fair to any dog to be left alone for 7+ hours a day. I would hope that IF a dog was left alone for that period of time on such a consisten basis that he'd at least get to look forward to playing in his own backyard afterwards or maybe going for a long walk. But judging from the op's first post, both options seem like they're out of the question.

Like I said.. Sounds like a miserable pet in the making.

#70 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

He wants a dog that doesn't shed = yay! I don't have to clean up after a pet!
He wants a dog that doesn't smell = yay! I never have to bathe my pet!
He wants a dog that likes to stay inside = yay! I rarely have to take the time to play with my dog outside!
He wants a dog that is intelligent = yay! I barely have to train him at all!

You do realize certain dog breeds exist to satisfy those needs? And you also realize some of these breeds are rotting away in shelters? If he wants one, he can get one. Would you rather the dog stay in a shelter?

BTW what is wrong with having a breed that you don't need to spend as much time cleaning up after, exercising, and training? Sounds like a perfect dog for some apartment life Vancouverites.

Read between the lines and he sounds like a lazy person in general. Lazy owners generally produce terrible dogs. As a pitbull owner, i realize how big of an issue this can be.

Anybody who has owned a toy dog is lazy? Got it.

It sounds like he wants the perks of having a pet (love I guess?) without having to actually put in any work.

And you sound like those PETA nuts on youtube. Way to generalize.

Not to mention I don't think it's fair to any dog to be left alone for 7+ hours a day. I would hope that IF a dog was left alone for that period of time on such a consisten basis that he'd at least get to look forward to playing in his own backyard afterwards or maybe going for a long walk. But judging from the op's first post, both options seem like they're out of the question.

There are many dog breeds that can be left alone for long periods of time. Not every dog has the energy of the border collie. Also have you ever heard of doggy daycare? Dog walking? Pet sitters?

I'm offended for the OP. How dare you think he's too lazy too take care of a dog if he wants a low energy canine? What about senior citizens who adopt toy dogs? Would you spit on them if they adopted a low energy lap dog?

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#71 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I said thats what I prefer I never said it needs all of those and nothing else. GTFO.

I'm just going by the information (or lack thereof) that you provided. I stand by my opinion based on your comments in this thread.

#72 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Another vote for Australian Shepherd. Smartest breed I've ever had next to German Shepherds. Loving, intelligent, and overall awesome. They're kinda hairy tho and shed a bit, so thats a downside (cut down hair by like half just by brushing once a day. He loves it too haha)

Edited by hyZar, 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#73 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

You do realize certain dog breeds exist to satisfy those needs? And you also realize some of these breeds are rotting away in shelters? If he wants one, he can get one. Would you rather the dog stay in a shelter?

BTW what is wrong with having a breed that you don't need to spend as much time cleaning up after, exercising, and training? Sounds like a perfect dog for some apartment life Vancouverites.

Anybody who has owned a toy dog is lazy? Got it.

And you sound like those PETA nuts on youtube. Way to generalize.

There are many dog breeds that can be left alone for long periods of time. Not every dog has the energy of the border collie. Also have you ever heard of doggy daycare? Dog walking? Pet sitters?

I'm offended for the OP. How dare you think he's too lazy too take care of a dog if he wants a low energy canine? What about senior citizens who adopt toy dogs? Would you spit on them if they adopted a low energy lap dog?

There are breeds that are created to satisfy those needs? Yeah, they're called wild dogs because they basically raise themselves.

I actually have 2 small chihuaha crosses as well. They get and need plenty of excercise despite their stature. Just because it's a "toy" dog doesn't mean it's going to flourish under a lazy owner. In fact it's the exact opposite. I love it when I walk my perfectly behaved pitbull and 1 out of every 3 small dogs tries to attack it. Being one that doesn't discriminate against any particular breed, I completely blame the lazy owners for raising a terrible dog.

As far as there being plenty of dogs being capable of being consistently left alone for half the day... Well, yeah. Of course there are. Any dog can be. Just because they can physically survive the task doesn't mean they should be put through it every day. You're basically raising a dog that's sleeping for 15-17 hours a day. Yeah, that's awesome man. Great life.
And to top it all off.. When he wakes up from his mini hibernation he gets to sit on the couch with his lazy owner for the next 7 hours.

If the op plans on getting pet sitters, dog walkers, pet care etc that's great. I'm all for that. That way the dogs isn't going to be an overweight and dog aggresive mess by the time he's 2. The op however didn't mention that.

As far as seniors with dogs... Yeah, I feel bad for some of those dogs as well. Mainly the ones that get no excercise. Ive seen plenty of these dogs first hand that are in terrible physical health and obsessively bark or bite because of lack of socialization. That being said, I've also seen plenty of seniors who walk their dogs on a regular basis which is great. They get some exercise, some fresh air and most importantly some socialization.
You also have to consider the fact that seniors probably don't leave their dog alone for 7+ hours every day....

#74 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Why?

He wants a dog that doesn't shed = yay! I don't have to clean up after a pet! - shih-tzu
He wants a dog that doesn't smell = yay! I never have to bathe my pet! - shih-tzu
He wants a dog that likes to stay inside = yay! I rarely have to take the time to play with my dog outside! - shih-tzu
He wants a dog that is intelligent = yay! I barely have to train him at all! - shih-tzu

there we go, everything satisfied in 1 breed of dog. stop trying to rain on his parade.

Edited by avelanch, 20 August 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#75 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

there we go, everything satisfied in 1 breed of dog. stop trying to rain on his parade.

Great breed .. a lot of shih-tzu crosses are excellent as well, and I am sure they would be available at the local pound or SPCA .. getting an animal that is not a pup would help as well

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#76 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

Oye...

There are breeds that are created to satisfy those needs? Yeah, they're called wild dogs because they basically raise themselves.

Are you denying there are intelligent, non shedding, and independent dog breeds at a shelter waiting to be adopted?

I actually have 2 small chihuaha crosses as well. They get and need plenty of excercise despite their stature. Just because it's a "toy" dog doesn't mean it's going to flourish under a lazy owner. In fact it's the exact opposite. I love it when I walk my perfectly behaved pitbull and 1 out of every 3 small dogs tries to attack it. Being one that doesn't discriminate against any particular breed, I completely blame the lazy owners for raising a terrible dog.

Yes... there are some energetic toy dog breeds. I did not mean to generalize all toy dogs like you generalized the OP, it's just so happens that the breeds I can immediately think of that fill the OP's needs are toy dogs.

And what you described is called small dog syndrome. Not much to do with a lazy owner (which you still haven't proven OP is) or a lack of exercise. Everything to do with a meek owner.

http://www.dogbreedi...malltoydogs.htm

As far as there being plenty of dogs being capable of being consistently left alone for half the day... Well, yeah. Of course there are. Any dog can be. Just because they can physically survive the task doesn't mean they should be put through it every day. You're basically raising a dog that's sleeping for 15-17 hours a day. Yeah, that's awesome man. Great life.
And to top it all off.. When he wakes up from his mini hibernation he gets to sit on the couch with his lazy owner for the next 7 hours.

First. Stop labeling the OP as lazy without actually providing some supporting points. Him wanting a low active, low shedding, and independent dog does not make him lazy.

Second. Maybe if you got your tongue out of your pitbull and chihuaha's mouthes for a moment, and learned a thing about more independent dog breeds, you would STFU. Take the Lhasa Apso for example. It can be left home alone for long periods of time and is perfectly happy.

If the op plans on getting pet sitters, dog walkers, pet care etc that's great. I'm all for that. That way the dogs isn't going to be an overweight and dog aggresive mess by the time he's 2. The op however didn't mention that.

He also did not mention being the lazy dimwit your portray him to be. Oh and we're all trying to convince him to (or at least I was going to join in before I saw your post) to get a shelter dog. So he won't be getting any dogs under 2 to ruin. We want him to get an independent dog breed that receives less care than OP can provide.

OP, I highly recommend you take MY advice on getting a dog walker and independent breed, instead of this guy's advice on letting your perfect dog wither away in a shelter.

As far as seniors with dogs... Yeah, I feel bad for some of those dogs as well. Mainly the ones that get no excercise. Ive seen plenty of these dogs first hand that are in terrible physical health and obsessively bark or bite because of lack of socialization. That being said, I've also seen plenty of seniors who walk their dogs on a regular basis which is great. They get some exercise, some fresh air and most importantly some socialization.
You also have to consider the fact that seniors probably don't leave their dog alone for 7+ hours every day....

All dog's have to be walked at least once a day (a dog like the one OP wants would need to walked around 30 minutes each day). Nobody will sell or let OP adopted a dog if he does not. He shouldn't have to write that for people like you to comprehend. I'm tired of you animal nuts jumping on little things like that.

The point about seniors was made because you scoffed at OP for looking for a low energy dog. Would you have scoffed at a senior for doing the same?

#77 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,957 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Always found poodles mean .. terriers yappy and chihuahua's ugly .. :rolleyes:

I have two Chihuahua's (one's a cross and a little pudgy, the other's a teacup Chihuahua and absolutely as loving as can be) and only recently put down our third dog, a rottie/boxer cross (old age, health issues). Poodles can be very good and I haven't known mean ones, albeit have seen some that are terrier crosses that do end up more territorial and yappy.

The right breed for the right person though.

Boxer. Very energetic. They absolutely love people.

Yet not good for someone who wants lower energy to sit inside a house without a backyard. If he was getting out with it and spending lots of time with it, sure. I love boxers but that's not the dog he's describing.

Your looking for the perfect dog and there just not out there , Really smart dogs cant be left alone all day unless left in a kennel when your not home because of them being smart they need there mind stimulated or there going to get bored and wreck stuff , Being that its going to be your first dog your definitely going to want a low maintenance dog so you dont get over whelmed because dogs can loose there cuteness pretty quick if you cant handle them and then your going to just end up dropping it off at the SPCA like so many people have .

Since your waiting awhile it will give you plenty of time research dogs and find one that will be able to be happy with in your lifestyle and infact there is dog matching quizs online that you might wanna try
http://animal.discov...dog-breeds.html
http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

here are a couple of them , Might give you a better idea one what your looking for

Good post.

Akita's are highly unpredictable and dominant and NOT RECOMMENDED for a first time dog owner. One of the most loyal dogs, but I wouldn't let that be his first dog.

Back to topic:

Smart dogs don't tend to be low maintenance, since they need/want a lot of challenges or work.

Get a Dutch Shepherd, they are like a smaller, healthier version of German Shepherd. Used as police dogs all over the world, and mainly Europe. http://www.dogbreedi...tchshepherd.htm

Absolutely agreed on the akitas. There are many dogs that can be great dogs, akitas, pit bulls, rottweillers, etc but the very first rule for anyone owning a dog for the first time is not to go after a dog that's over 20-30 pounds and has any kind of aggressive background. I don't mean that they've bitten anyone or anything, but if they have a history of being a guard dog, fighting dog, etc. That's a recipe for disaster.

The right breed for the right person though. Ask the people you're getting it from (hopefully a pound) if you're unsure and do your research on any breed that's been suggested or that you've seen and think you might like.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#78 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

I am very interested in Greyhounds/Whippets. Anyone here have any experiance with them?

#79 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,456 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

I am very interested in Greyhounds/Whippets. Anyone here have any experiance with them?

Hope you have a BIG yard and TALL fence.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#80 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Golden Retriever

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#81 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

6 foot fence and a decent sized yard but the dog will mainly be indoors unless it is sunny and warm.

#82 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

How much exercise does a Retriever need a day?

#83 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,806 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

If it's going to be indoors all day, dogs aren't the right option.
Still, if you are set on getting a dog, and don't want to let it have hours outside every day, get a small dog that can run around inside the house

#84 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Don't get a breed, they are all inbred and have a million genetic health problems. Rescue a stray.

Better yet, adopt from Romania! http://facebook.com/...ciation.romania

#85 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

How much exercise does a Retriever need a day?

I leave mine outside all day but probally from 45-60 minutes a day.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#86 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I am pretty set on adopting one from a shelter around next June so I can spend alot of time with it during the summer before school.

#87 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,806 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I am pretty set on adopting one from a shelter around next June so I can spend alot of time with it during the summer before school.

Then what?

#88 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Then what?

Backyard while I am at school, inside when I am at home. In the winter it depends if it can withstand the cold.

#89 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

-edit-

Actually I just read your original post, first dog, low maintenance, minimal shedding, needs to be left alone for seven hours, no yard. Ha ha!

Never mind, don't get a huskie!

Get one of these:

http://forum.canucks...__fromsearch__1

Well not one of those, I mean a huskie in general. Well don't just run out and get a dog without knowing anything about them.

May I?

Ehem...

If you want a companion and not a guard dog, huskies make piss poor guard dogs but they will love the s*** out of you. However if you're not going to be home a lot then defiantly do not get a huskie.

Huskies shed like mad! so there that too. Some, not all. Out of the three I have only one sheds constantly, the other sheds twice a year and the last one is too young and hast shed yet.

Contrary to popular belief huskies can handle hot weather just fine, their fur insulates them against heat as well as cold. NEVER shave a huskie or any other type of dog for that matter.

They are the smartest dogs you will ever own, many people seem to think they aren't very smart because to get a huskie to obey you you must be the dominate one the relationship NO exceptions! If fact they have the largest brain to body mass ratio of all dogs.

Again they are not guard dogs. Lots of people (I've noticed) seem to be afraid of them because they think they look like wolves (they don't really, not pure breds anyway) but the only thing they'll do to an intruder is love them to death.

Do not get a wolf hybrid! You may think its cool to have a half wolf dog but they are unpredictable and dangerous and huskie/wolf hybrids give pure bred huskies a bad reputation.

Bottom line if you seriously consider a huskie think really carefully about it, huskies are most definitely not for everyone. They take a lot of work (if you think a normal dog is hard to raise do not get a huskie plain and simple) and need a lot of exercise to keep them worn out if you don't want them to wear themselves out chewing the crap out of your house. They need lots of companionship, they are pack animals and without a constant pack they will become frustrated and they will take out that frustration on your house. Have you ever watched Marly and Me? Just imagine that only ... maybe 5x worse if left alone too long/much and/or not enough exercise.

I've had many different types of dogs in my life (German shepherds, border collies, labs and retrievers) and I will never again own another dog other then a huskie, and I love dogs! (Well not so much those little rat things that pass as dogs nowadays)

A little food for thought.
If you have any questions about huskies feel free to ask.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 03 October 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#90 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Shi'tzu are very intelligent, usually independent, do not shed AND would be buddies with Ballard's Shi'tzu .. we have had two for several years and they are great dogs .. I am a Golden Retriever/Scotch Collie kinda guy, but they need space and a lot of care .. Shi'tzu's are a very happy alternative and they are NOT yappy unless you let them be when they are young ..

Keith Ballard has a shi'tzu? I didn't know that

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.