Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Getting a dog!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#91 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Will the beagle be good for me? I really like Beagles or Puggles and I am willing to take it out for an extra walk or to a dog park.

NO! Beagles are a lot of work to train and need a well fenced in yard. You would have to keep in a kennel when you are not home, at least when he is a puppy or he will destroy everything. They are also a scent hound, he gets out you are going to be going for a run to try and get him. That being said Beagles are the most loyal dogs I've ever had dealings with. I've owned 3 myself over the years.

From what you have said I think I cat is more up your alley. Don't take it the wrong way but you are not suited to get a dog. Dogs really should have a yard they are able to run around in. I'm also never a fan of leaving them alone for that many hours in a day. Will make it extremely hard to train the puppy.

Don't let the cuteness fool you, it's all part of their game :
Posted Image

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 04 October 2012 - 12:10 AM.

fzbyi9.jpg

#92 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

well good luck to your dog. hope that you are dedicated to the dog's needs and not just focused on how the dog can fill your own desires.

things you cannot do easily when you own a dog and you live alone:
  • join friends out after school/work for a drink
  • avoid the outdoors despite bad weather
  • find suitable housing to rent
  • go on vacation

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#93 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Go to animal planet and search for "dog 101" and it tells you all the good and bad about dogs. We have a Maltese. They are smart dogs but their inheritant traits are they have a problem with learning not to pee in the house and you have to get their teeth cleaned every couple years. Besides that they are small, don't shed, very, very loyal and can be easily trained. Nothing like coming home to a dog that is really excited to see you. When you do get a dog you will find it very tough to travel. If you do get a dog have a family member watch it when you go away. Do not put it into a dog kennel. Small dogs do not do well in them.

Edited by thehun, 04 October 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#94 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Backyard while I am at school, inside when I am at home. In the winter it depends if it can withstand the cold.

What about the non-stop Monsoons we have in Vancouver?
With dogs being more exposed to the elements, you have to make sure their nails are trimmed, fur clean, no ear infections, etc, more so than indoor dogs.

If you're gonna get a retriever, it's not just all physical exercise, but mental ones too. Dogs stuck in a yard all day will act out destructively, especially if they aren't trained properly.

I have a toy breed, but even I find it hard to spend as much as I want with my dog. Full-time work plus full-time school, I can only walk it around the block for an hour, give it attention for another hour after that, and that's basically all the time I do have for it, not including the time he's bumming/sleeping beside me. Fortunately he's the ultimate lazy lap dog, so he's fine, but for a larger and more energetic/intelligent breed, it might just end up as a bigger problem.

Unless you pay for daycare/dog walkers and/or your dog happens to be a lazy dog too.

#95 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

well good luck to your dog.  hope that you are dedicated to the dog's needs and not just focused on how the dog can fill your own desires.

things you cannot do easily when you own a dog and you live alone:

• join friends out after school/work for a drink
  • avoid the outdoors despite bad weather
  • find suitable housing to rent
  • go on vacation

Two of those I don't see to be a problem.1. Despite the weather, I take my dogs for walks, and I live in Manitoba.2. My wife and I go on vacation at least twice a year. All we do is pay to have our dogs boarded. Very simple.The other two are very true. Especially staying out late. My wife and I always have to leave early, usually 9:00pm latest in order to come home on let our dogs out.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#96 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

How much exercise does a Retriever need a day?

From what I've read of your situation, way more than you are going to be able to provide.

Any large dog breed, especially retrievers need a lot of physical exercise and mental stimulation (as all dogs do really) if you want to make a well trained happy dog. Without proper mental stimulation expect a destructive unruly dog that will act out.

I get the impression you also still live at home. What do you plan on doing when you move out, especially if you get a larger breed?

fzbyi9.jpg

#97 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,555 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Two of those I don't see to be a problem.1. Despite the weather, I take my dogs for walks, and I live in Manitoba.2. My wife and I go on vacation at least twice a year. All we do is pay to have our dogs boarded. Very simple.The other two are very true. Especially staying out late. My wife and I always have to leave early, usually 9:00pm latest in order to come home on let our dogs out.

Posted Image

#98 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

So I am planning on getting a dog next June and I was wondering which type of dog I should get. I want a small - medium size dog that is capable of being left alone while no one is home (7 hours a day) that does not smell, shedding minimally, likes to stay inside (dont have a fenced backyard) and that is intelligent. Thanks in advance! This is my first dog so I want a low maintanence dog.

English Bull Terrier.

Posted Image

/=S=/

#99 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Anyone have any advice in trying to get an american eskimo to stop lashing out at other dogs? I got him when he was 2 years old when a tenant was going to send him to a shelter and is generally behaved. I've been able to teach him the normal commands ie. sit, lie down, etc, he's completely fine indoors and outdoors. He was a pain to walk at the beginning but he's become much more behaved on a leash. He's fine with female dogs and I've been able to desensitize him to 1 male dog, but any others he tries to chase after and attack.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#100 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don Cherry approves.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#101 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Anyone have any advice in trying to get an american eskimo to stop lashing out at other dogs? I got him when he was 2 years old when a tenant was going to send him to a shelter and is generally behaved. I've been able to teach him the normal commands ie. sit, lie down, etc, he's completely fine indoors and outdoors. He was a pain to walk at the beginning but he's become much more behaved on a leash. He's fine with female dogs and I've been able to desensitize him to 1 male dog, but any others he tries to chase after and attack.

I'm not an "expert" but I've owned dogs/been around dog my whole life (not that I'm terribly old or anything) but I may have a solution for you.

If he's aggressive towards other dogs (males in particular) it may be a dominance thing, the next time he charges or lashes out towards another dog grab him by the back of his neck (none to gently either you are trying to discipline him) and drag him to the ground and hold him here until he's calm. Don't lwt him up until he's completely calm! This is very important. This may seem harsh to some but deep inside all dogs are wolves and what would a wolf do if another tried to step on his toes as chief? He's and Eskie so he should get the picture pretty quickly.

If you are afraid he might bite you grab him firmly around the muzzle beforehand, not too tight so he can still breath but enought so he can't open his mouth or break your grip. If you're not sure how tight that may be play around at home with him and see what it takes to keep his jaws shut with your one hand.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 04 October 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#102 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

I am only 15 so I wont be moving out any time soon. The new private school I go to is easier than my old private school so I have alot of time to spend with him after 3 and even a short walk around 7 am and one in the afternoon. I like cats but no one else in my house does so no to them. Fencing my backyard soon and it is a decent size so it will be good. I play hockey so that takes some time put of his ''play time'' but im sure I can tire him out. I will mainly take care of the dog with my mother (sister is lazy so she wont).

#103 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

If you have family at home, like someone that's there all the time or so that there's someone around at all times, that will make raising any dog a whole lot easier.

Just pick a few breeds you like and go and talk to a breeder, read the crap outta them online, just do some reasearch and then pick the one you feel suits you and your life style the best.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 04 October 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#104 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for your help! My sister is graduating so she will be home during the days on the weekdays when I am at school. Even though she doesn't do much she can still play with it :P

#105 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm not an "expert" but I've owned dogs/been around dog my whole life (not that I'm terribly old or anything) but I may have a solution for you.

If he's aggressive towards other dogs (males in particular) it may be a dominance thing, the next time he charges or lashes out towards another dog grab him by the back of his neck (none to gently either you are trying to discipline him) and drag him to the ground and hold him here until he's calm. Don't lwt him up until he's completely calm! This is very important. This may seem harsh to some but deep inside all dogs are wolves and what would a wolf do if another tried to step on his toes as chief? He's and Eskie so he should get the picture pretty quickly.

If you are afraid he might bite you grab him firmly around the muzzle beforehand, not too tight so he can still breath but enought so he can't open his mouth or break your grip. If you're not sure how tight that may be play around at home with him and see what it takes to keep his jaws shut with your one hand.

That's a rather outdated training method, not to mention potentially dangerous.

While I've never gotten formal schooling on dog training, I've worked at boarding kennels and shelters with extremely aggressive dogs. My advice is to correct your dog as soon as he's even thinking of lashing out, not after he's done it. As soon as you see him staring at another dog, with his ears perked up or hackles raised or whatever change in body language he has before he attacks (sometimes it's really subtle), give a quick snap of the leash, accompanied with a verbal correction (uh uh, no, hey, whatever you want, just say it in a low voice). Doesn't necessarily have to be hard, but do it with confidence. If he breaks focus, praise and/or reward him. If he doesn't, do it again and with more force until he does. Initially, you should keep him on a short leash, but give him slack, and when passing other dogs you should put yourself between him and the other dogs. And whenever you're walking him, stand up straight with your shoulders back, and walk with confidence. Even if you're feeling nervous on the inside, don't let that show through your body language. Dogs tend to display or develop aggression if you're constantly acting nervous or if they think you're a pushover. I know it seems like such a small silly thing but it really makes a big difference.

Oh, and get your dog neutered if it isn't already.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#106 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

That's a rather outdated training method, not to mention potentially dangerous.

Pffffft! Don't get me started on that load of bull, what are you going to do? ask your dog politely to stop? and yeah it's dangerous! dogs are dangerous animals!

#107 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Pffffft! Don't get me started on that load of bull, what are you going to do? ask your dog politely to stop? and yeah it's dangerous! dogs are dangerous animals!

Already wrote a whole paragraph on what to do.

#108 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Already wrote a whole paragraph on what to do.

Sounds like regurgitated Dog Whisperer garbage to me...

#109 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sounds like regurgitated Dog Whisperer garbage to me...

Cesar Milan hardly invented this method of dog training. And besides, if I was regurgitating Dog Whisperer I'd encourage him to do the alpha rolls.

#110 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Cesar Milan hardly invented this method of dog training. And besides, if I was regurgitating Dog Whisperer I'd encourage him to do the alpha rolls.

Eh, I dunno to each there own I guess, I have huskies and they're so close genetically to wolves (more so than any other dog breed) and it works too so why fix what 'ain't broken right?

Hey, you wanna go grab some dinner?

#111 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Eh, I dunno to each there own I guess, I have huskies and they're so close genetically to wolves (more so than any other dog breed) and it works too so why fix what 'ain't broken right?

I've tried that method back when I first started working with dogs... Yea, with some dogs it was fine but one time, the dog jumped up afterward and began tearing into my arm. Still got the scars 8 years later. Then another time I watched a coworker tried that method, next thing I knew she was on the ground and I was kicking the dog, and he didn't let go until I grabbed his jaws and pried them apart. She spent a week in the hospital.

I won't deny that it works for some dogs, but it's dangerous to recommend the method for a dog that you haven't met. As I mentioned before I'm not a certified dog trainer but I am a dog professional, I handle over 100 different dogs a year. One of the jobs I had was working at a no-kill pound with dogs that would've been put down at other shelters for their aggression, so I'm not spewing crap I heard from some TV personality, I speak from experience.

And although huskies bear the most physical similarities to wolves, they are no more closely related to wolves than any other breed (aside of course from wolf-dog hybrids). In fact, the Siberian husky is one of the oldest breeds out there, and have not been bred with wolves any time in recent history.

#112 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hey, whoa whoa whoa, easy brobro

#113 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for your help! My sister is graduating so she will be home during the days on the weekdays when I am at school. Even though she doesn't do much she can still play with it :P

Do you have the money to actually support your dog. Or will it be de jure your dog, but de facto your family's dog?

#114 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hey, whoa whoa whoa, easy brobro

Gum, didn't you see the pee mark around That? lol Sniff sniff.. Smells like Colon Dee's mark..
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#115 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 04 October 2012 - 11:10 PM.

fzbyi9.jpg

#116 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Get a cat when you don't want a pet anymore you can just throw it away..

Kidden
GO Canucks GO

#117 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

I've tried that method back when I first started working with dogs... Yea, with some dogs it was fine but one time, the dog jumped up afterward and began tearing into my arm. Still got the scars 8 years later.

There's a little more to it than just holding them down... You have to be alpha, pack leader, king cheese, whatever you want to call it and they have to know it.

Yeah, on second thought I don't recommend this method.

And although huskies bear the most physical similarities to wolves, they are no more closely related to wolves than any other breed (aside of course from wolf-dog hybrids). In fact, the Siberian husky is one of the oldest breeds out there, and have not been bred with wolves any time in recent history.

Yes, that is exactly correct. Husky (and the other Spitz breeds) genetics haven't been muddied by interbreeding and cross breeding so, therefore, are the most genetically similar.

So how about some breakfast?

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 05 October 2012 - 09:14 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.