The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting a dog!

Versace

We have been very fortunate to own an AKC registered 13" tricoloured beagle. He is gentle, great with kids, and believe or not, because of their reputation, he is very calm and quiet. When I am in my study, he would rather sit at my feet.

We found that talking with a true breeder who knows what they are doing, and understands the breed, can help identify some of the traits that you are looking for--I am not talking about a puppy mill owner that sits in the Wal-mart parking lot every other week. While our dog's stock comes from a hunting pack, he is the laziest dog I have ever seen.

You do get what pay for, and you get what you train your dog to do. Being a responsible owner is not just feeding and walking it twice a day, rather it means training your dog by incentivizing the desired behaviour and using their natural tendencies to acheive the results you want. This takes a lot of time, and a lot of discipline on your part. But that type of investment is worth it.

We have been very fortunate to own an AKC registered 13" tricoloured beagle. He is gentle, great with kids, and believe or not, because of their reputation, he is very calm and quiet. When I am in my study, he would rather sit at my feet.

We found that talking with a true breeder who knows what they are doing, and understands the breed, can help identify some of the traits that you are looking for--I am not talking about a puppy mill owner that sits in the Wal-mart parking lot every other week. While our dog's stock comes from a hunting pack, he is the laziest dog I have ever seen.

You do get what pay for, and you get what you train your dog to do. Being a responsible owner is not just feeding and walking it twice a day, rather it means training your dog by incentivizing the desired behaviour and using their natural tendencies to acheive the results you want. This takes a lot of time, and a lot of discipline on your part. But that type of investment is worth it.

Go to several shelters and tell them what you're looking for, and match you with a suitable dog. Any reputable organization will not let you take a dog that they don't feel is suited to your lifestyle/experience level, and they will take the dog back should you decide that it's just not working out. Don't just go to the SPCA, there's many other shelters out there that need adopters just as much, if not more, because they aren't as well known. You should also check out http://www.petfinder.com/ ...you can search for dogs in shelters within your area and search for a specific breed, size, age, and several other things

Why?

I may have misunderstood this quoted post OP, so sorry caddilac if I did, but there is always this crowd that tries to convince you not to get a dog when you want one. Some will look at the fact your going to be away from home for 7 hours and say, "Oh no. Don't get a dog. You have to take good care of a dog!" Our shelters are overpopulated. If you want a dog, adopt one. If your going to be home for a bit, get a dog walker or a pet sitter.

Don't listen to people who try to talk you out of it, if you feel you can provide one with enough love. Whenever I go on a youtube video about a certain breed, there's always a high rated comment saying, "DON'T GET THIS DOG IF YOU CAN'T CUDDLE WITH IT 24/7." FFS.

He wants a dog that doesn't shed = yay! I don't have to clean up after a pet!

He wants a dog that doesn't smell = yay! I never have to bathe my pet!

He wants a dog that likes to stay inside = yay! I rarely have to take the time to play with my dog outside!

He wants a dog that is intelligent = yay! I barely have to train him at all!

Another vote for Australian Shepherd. Smartest breed I've ever had next to German Shepherds. Loving, intelligent, and overall awesome. They're kinda hairy tho and shed a bit, so thats a downside (cut down hair by like half just by brushing once a day. He loves it too haha)

You do realize certain dog breeds exist to satisfy those needs? And you also realize some of these breeds are rotting away in shelters? If he wants one, he can get one. Would you rather the dog stay in a shelter?

BTW what is wrong with having a breed that you don't need to spend as much time cleaning up after, exercising, and training? Sounds like a perfect dog for some apartment life Vancouverites.

Anybody who has owned a toy dog is lazy? Got it.

And you sound like those PETA nuts on youtube. Way to generalize.

There are many dog breeds that can be left alone for long periods of time. Not every dog has the energy of the border collie. Also have you ever heard of doggy daycare? Dog walking? Pet sitters?

I'm offended for the OP. How dare you think he's too lazy too take care of a dog if he wants a low energy canine? What about senior citizens who adopt toy dogs? Would you spit on them if they adopted a low energy lap dog?

Why?

He wants a dog that doesn't shed = yay! I don't have to clean up after a pet! - shih-tzu

He wants a dog that doesn't smell = yay! I never have to bathe my pet! - shih-tzu

He wants a dog that likes to stay inside = yay! I rarely have to take the time to play with my dog outside! - shih-tzu

He wants a dog that is intelligent = yay! I barely have to train him at all! - shih-tzu

• 1 month later...

Archived