The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Luongo's Number?

Jägermeister

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly, I don't see Luongo's number actually being retired by the Canucks, however I feel like you could make a case that it could be.

He played 6 season with us, which is more than some who have had their numbers retired by other teams, and was arguably one of the best goalies in the league during that time frame.

He holds the vast majority of our goaltending records, for both season and career numbers.

He was our Captain for 2 years (whether it was a good decision is up for debate), becoming the first goaltender to be given the "C" in 60 years.

He played in 3 All-Star games, won the Molson Cup for the Canucks 4 times, was our MVP 2 times, won a Jennings, had a Pearson and Hart nomination, and had 3 Vezina nominations.

His list of accomplishments is certainly worthy of having the idea of having his number being hung up being discussed.

So as it stand now, if we were to trade Lu this season, would you think we should retire his number once he retires?

Not a chance IMO

Maybe if he played out his career here. But he's only been here for 6 years and he's done good things for us but not great things. No Vezinas and no Stanley Cup(s). Perhaps the ROH. But mostly he'll just go down as another great player who played for us but who couldn't get us the one thing we want so bad.

Say hypothetically that the Sedins retire here w/o having won a Cup. I think they would still deserve jersey retirements because they did great things - Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay winners - and great things in the community also.

Not a chance IMO

Maybe if he played out his career here. But he's only been here for 6 years and he's done good things for us but not great things. No Vezinas and no Stanley Cup(s). Perhaps the ROH. But mostly he'll just go down as another great player who played for us but who couldn't get us the one thing we want so bad.

Say hypothetically that the Sedins retire here w/o having won a Cup. I think they would still deserve jersey retirements because they did great things - Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay winners - and great things in the community also.

Ring of Honour.

He's above McLean as the greatest goalie in Canucks history IMO, but he spent just 6 years here without winning anything or being beloved like other retirees. One of the most important figures in Canucks history already, for sure. But aside from his first few years here when he was worshipped as our saviour (boy, how times change) he was never endeared to Vancouver like Linden, Kirk, Nazzy, or Steamer.

Unless he doesn't get traded this summer, wins back the starting job and takes us to the Cup, I don't see Luongo hanging in the rafters.

Archived