The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Luongo's Number?

Jägermeister

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never played a full season.... Correct me if I'm wrong but he's been on the Canucks main roster for a number of years. You can't count a few games missed to injury. Borrows has scored some very big goals and is a great person. He plays his whole career here and managed to get the goal for our first cup?? I could see his number going up one day if the stars align for him.

Keep in mind that in the 1994 series we scored 6 goals in game 5 alone, in 2011 we scored 8 goals in the entire series. McLean would have done no better with a pathetic offense like that

And before you talk about how Luongo got "torched" by Boston, Boston scored 23 goals in 7 games (22 since one was an empty net)

New York scored 21 in 7 games. Pretty even

Never played a full season.... Correct me if I'm wrong but he's been on the Canucks main roster for a number of years. You can't count a few games missed to injury. Borrows has scored some very big goals and is a great person. He plays his whole career here and managed to get the goal for our first cup?? I could see his number going up one day if the stars align for him.

IMHO Smyl and Linden's numbers are the only two that should be retired. They might not have put the numbers up that Naslund did but they were leaders on the ice. They took their teams to the CUP finals which Naslund didn't come close to doing. As their careers wound down they were able to adapt their games to still benefit the club which again, Naslund was not able to do.

That is the ONLY argument I see for Linden over Naslund. Exclude the Cup final (which they LOST) for a sec, what case can you make for Linden over Naslund? Naslund was also a leader on the ice:

"He was the type of guy that was a hard-worker, led by example mostly and didn’t speak much, but when he did he had some stuff to say and we listened because it was stuff that was important for us to take in and get back on track." - Roberto Luongo on Markus Naslund

"He was a guy who certainly led by example. He was very genuine, I think he really wore his emotions on his sleeve, so to speak, but when I got back he was the kind of guy that did a lot of his talking on the ice." - Trevor Linden on Markus Naslund

Naslund in the latter portion of his career was not beneficial to the club? The guy was second in goals in his final three years, behind Daniel. And third in points for his final three years, behind the twins.

C'mon, don't be biased now.

The only arguement? How about Lindens off ice work in the community here. He is still a big part of charity events and raising money for various charities and still visits Canuck Place all the time. Naslund has done basically nothing here in the community since he left.

As for leadership, Linden played with broken ribs in the Stanley Cup Final, he played his heart out, left everything on the ice, and led by example. Naslund will be remembered for his famous "We Choked!" speech.

The only arguement? How about Lindens off ice work in the community here. He is still a big part of charity events and raising money for various charities and still visits Canuck Place all the time. Naslund has done basically nothing here in the community since he left.

As for leadership, Linden played with broken ribs in the Stanley Cup Final, he played his heart out, left everything on the ice, and led by example. Naslund will be remembered for his famous "We Choked!" speech.

-6th youngest goalie to reach 300 wins (25th overall)

-Olympic Gold Medal

-1 World Hockey Junior Championship Silver

-2 Gold and 1 Silver in World Hockey Championships

-16th in the all time shutouts list (2nd amongst active players) with 60 shutouts

-17th all time in wins

-Led his team to 2 President Trophys and multiple division titles

I think a Stanley Cup is the only thing keeping him away from the Hall of Fame

You forgot the Jennings trophy he shares with Schneider.

As for Luongo's "accomplishments"...

1. Who cares? 6th and 25th place.

2. Impressive, though not an NHL award and he was behind a pretty great team.

3. Who cares? 2nd place in the World Juniors one time.

4. Not bad. The World Championship is generally for NHL players who's team does not make the NHL playoffs.

5. Not bad, still just 16th place and half as many SOs as M.Brodeur.

6. Who cares? 17th place, where is he in the losses category?

7. Nobody will dispute that he is a very good regular season netminder, but aside from 2007 he didn't do any of that on his own.

A Stanley Cup would definitely help his case for the HOF. A Vezina or two in addition to that would make him a lock, I dont think any of it will happen.

Archived