The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN Projections

Edler's Mind Tricks

Don't think the insider watches enough Canucks to give the assessments of Booth and Hansen that they have.

Booth's line had a low shooting percentage because they were painfully predictable and took a lot of low percentage shots. If he wants to trend up, that line will have to play a more intelligent style of hockey.

Hansen's line had a high shooting percentage for the opposite reasons - he and Higgins are intelligent, creative, hardworking players that are as good as any two other third liners in the NHL. Their goaltenders had a high save percentage with them on the ice because they are tenacious, fast, outstanding two-way players who give up very few quality scoring opportunities - they posted those numbers despite playing with the defensively challenged Hodgson. Hodgson had a nice shot and creative offensive game, which did not hinder their high shooting percentage, but there is absolutely no reason Hansen and Higgins (who are more skilled than the "insider" seems to realize) can't maintain the quality two way game they played last year, particularly if they are matched up with another quality shut down center like Pahlsson, or another quality two-way player like themselves. Their success had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with hard work and great goaltending behind them. I could see a young guy like Schroeder, with good speed, hard work, and lots of two-way potential stepping in and that line picking up right where they left off.

my prediction

sedins -get just under 100 points(teams have learned there tendencies)

kesler- will have an off year coming off injury

Lu and Schneider -both play like superstars (eventually Lu gets traded)

Burrows-will be good ol Burrows

Garrison- will be just ok for his first season he will need time to learn AV systems

Hansen and Higgins- will continue what they started last season

Malhotra- will have a better season then last year

Lapierre- will have a great season and will be one of the canucks main shut down guys

Bieska and Hamuis will stay consistant

Tanev- will shine

Ballard- will look like his play improved but really Tanev will just make him look better still wont be worth $4.2

Edler- will be playing for a contract, I think hes going to try to hard and end up making a lot of mistakes

Booth- will have a great year, especially with kelser injured. booth will have the puck on his stick a lot

Raymond- won't score over 20 goals, but I think Raymonds speed and checking abilities will make him valuable

Schroeder- gets a shot at 3rd line center but AV will not trust him in key situations, so he will be sent down

Kassian- wont score to many goals in his first full season, he will learn AV's defensive systems first before the coach will let him loose

Archived