Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Just take a minute...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Right on point, OP, loving the positivity.

Posted Image

#32 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thank you so much for a positive thread about our beloved team.

And to the playoff NAY-sayers I say this:

1/ Regular season and Playoff success are 2 COMPLETELY different testaments to a teams abilities. In the regular season you are showing how good you are over the LONG haul...82 games...and you must play and beat out EVERY other team (all 29 of them) to win the PC. The playoffs on the other hand are about matchups only. You either have a team that matches up well against your opponent or you don't. It says nothing about your abilities to beat the other 14 teams in the playoffs, only the ONE team you are currently playing. 15 other teams make the playoffs, and you must display your mastery over 4 of them to win the SC.

2/ Since we joined the NHL in 1970, the league has averaged over that timespan aproximately 26 teams per year. This means any given team would have averaged a SCF appearance once every 13 years. So in our 42 years of existence, we would have been there about 3 times. And of course as we all know...we have (1982, 1994, 2011). And how close did we come in '94 and '11...both game sevens. There are currently 7 teams that have never even made a SCF appearance (WSH, WPG, CBJ, NSH, MIN-as Wild franchise, PHO, SJS). And as for those odds of appearing how does our expansion brethren team (BUF) fare? Well, they've only been once.

So yah, I love this team...and I defend this team!!!

#33 foozer

foozer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Why would anyone even want or bother to make negative comments on this thread. Somebody finally speaks up to focus on what we have and half the comments are about a lack of a cup, when buffalo wins one we can sit around and bitch. When i was in school in the eighties you were either an oilers fan or a canucks fan. Anybody in an oilers jersey wore it to try and be apart of something successful and the canucks fans were fans because it was tradition, their brothers and fathers were also fans. If you really love your team and wear your colors out of pride and not spite the last thing you should be doing is sitting around complaining in august.

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,086 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

That's all well and good - but not good enough....until we win the cup we are just a cupless team...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

You're more of a fan is all you want is to see them be Champions.

Just like Kesler would hate you for saying what you said right now.

Youre right Keslers selke and 41 goals are nothing

Sedins art rosses. nothing
Jennings. Nothing
2 hard earned presidents trophies. Nothing

I agree with you

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#36 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

All true... our tidly squat worries debated and discussed everyday on CDC are pretty tiny compared to those of the Leafs and Jackets.

Posted Image

#37 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

It's nice to have a competitive team, but we're overdue for a cup already.

When you build a team to win the cup and you do not, then the season was not a success.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#38 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Why would anyone even want or bother to make negative comments on this thread. Somebody finally speaks up to focus on what we have and half the comments are about a lack of a cup, when buffalo wins one we can sit around and bitch.

No. I don't care if Buffalo runs backwards while spitting nickles, it has no bearing on us. Carolina and Tampa Bay have more cups then us if focusing on other teams helps your perspective that much.

Edited by TimberWolf, 21 August 2012 - 09:37 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#39 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Youre right Keslers selke and 41 goals are nothing

Sedins art rosses. nothing
Jennings. Nothing
2 hard earned presidents trophies. Nothing

I agree with you

I doubt they sleep well thinking about them though, they will always be harder on themselves than any fan, and so they should. It's easier to be positive about an overachieving team than a team so stacked and so close to winning it all that just doesn't seem to want to take it. We will have lots of time to appreciate all the great times you mentioned over what seems to be coming, an extra long offseason. FML, football is just not enough, though the new thursday nighters help......a little...

#40 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

nvm

Edited by Cody Hodgson 9, 21 August 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

#41 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

All true... our tidly squat worries debated and discussed everyday on CDC are pretty tiny compared to those of the Leafs and Jackets.

You speak the truth. The difference between the Canucks and the other teams you mentioned is that they are a thousand miles away from greatness whereas we are so painfully close, but not quite there yet. That is the frustrating part in my opinion.

#42 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thank you so much for a positive thread about our beloved team.

And to the playoff NAY-sayers I say this:

1/ Regular season and Playoff success are 2 COMPLETELY different testaments to a teams abilities. In the regular season you are showing how good you are over the LONG haul...82 games...and you must play and beat out EVERY other team (all 29 of them) to win the PC. The playoffs on the other hand are about matchups only. You either have a team that matches up well against your opponent or you don't. It says nothing about your abilities to beat the other 14 teams in the playoffs, only the ONE team you are currently playing. 15 other teams make the playoffs, and you must display your mastery over 4 of them to win the SC.

2/ Since we joined the NHL in 1970, the league has averaged over that timespan aproximately 26 teams per year. This means any given team would have averaged a SCF appearance once every 13 years. So in our 42 years of existence, we would have been there about 3 times. And of course as we all know...we have (1982, 1994, 2011). And how close did we come in '94 and '11...both game sevens. There are currently 7 teams that have never even made a SCF appearance (WSH, WPG, CBJ, NSH, MIN-as Wild franchise, PHO, SJS). And as for those odds of appearing how does our expansion brethren team (BUF) fare? Well, they've only been once.

So yah, I love this team...and I defend this team!!!

1.You dont get to play any bottom-feeders throughout the playoffs as you would numerous times throughout the regular season. You have to beat 4 teams in 4 best of 7 series, if you are seeing the same team every other night they will break down your strategies and be more difficult to defeat. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of professional sports for a reason. It is a 2 month marathon playing against the best teams in the league. Doesn't it make you wonder why the Canucks can win consecutive PTs but not even 1 Stanley Cup in 42 years? The Stanley Cup is harder to win therefore it is more important. Nobody remembers who won the Presidents Trophy but everyone remembers who won the Stanley Cup.

2. Washington made a SCF appearance in 1998, and Buffalo has twice, 1975 and 1999.

I love and will defend this team as well, but I will not be satisfied with 0 Stanley cups.

#43 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I think we take our team for granted. Theres teams like columbus who's best player only gets 59 points.
Our team is getting kinda old though. It seems like all of our star players have hit their peak
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hey Guys!

Today i took a few minutes to think about how lucky we are to have as great a team and management.

We are lucky enough to have a Vezina nominee and jennings winners' in goal. To have not one but two art ross winners plus a selke winner.

We have a 50 point d-man AND a 16 goal d-man. We also have a great shut down d-man and the AHL's hardest slapshot in our organization.

We have a 25+ goal scorer signed for 2M.

Now compare that to the Leafs, Jackets and Isles. Makes you feel grateful doesn't it?

If there is a lockout there will be so much I will miss like Sedeniry, Ballards Hipchecks, Lou or Schneids making a highlight reel stop, Volpatti destroying someone in a fight.

Also just little things like Garret commenting on safeway products, Blake Price on the postgame show and Burrows scoring with his typical SO move.

We are also lucky to have Gillis instead of Burke or Howson.

So just take a minute to think about how lucky we all are to have a team as great as the Canucks.

CH9

:towel:

You can't call a team "great" that has never won a championship, period.

I don't mean to be negative, but this post is just drenched in delusion. The team has had a relatively successful 5-year run. That doesn't erase the previous 37 years of predominantly ineptitude, nor the fact that they have never won a Stanley Cup.

It's usually good practice to deal with reality. This team is FAR from "great". If the Canucks are "great", so are the Washington Capitals.

#45 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Note to all posters:

This is a positive thread. Please do not be negative.

CH9

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.